Splitting Mpeg2 Dolby Video Files

briley

I've got a number of MPEG2 files with AC3 (Dolby) audio that I want to cut up into a number of small pieces.

I do NOT want to re-compress them, just cut them up - this is partially to save time (hours!) but also to stop any quality loss.

Virtual Dub, a program I normally use, can't cut up if you have AC3 audio :o Shame as it splits file very fast and efficiently if not dolby sound - ie in minutes.

Anyone know any software that can do the job. Google has proved not to be my friend, nor Tocows etc.

Did you check doom9.net?

Found the following tools, which might work (see doom9.net for the download links):

Cuttermaran 1.66 - frame accurate MPEG-2 cutting tool. Website

DVD2AVI PVAview 1.0 - special PVA preview version, used by PVACut. Website

MPEG2Cut 1.15 - special version of DVD2AVI to cut MPEG-2 videos. Website

MPEG2Schnitt 0.71 - easy to use tool to cut out commercials from MPEG-2 streams. Website

HDTVtoMPEG2 1.11 - extract video and audio streams from a (multi TV station) transport stream and save them to an MPG file. Website - Website 2

ProjectX 0.90 - demuxing tool for DVB streams. Website

PVACut 3.50 - PVA cutting tool. Website

PVAStrumento 2.1.0.15 - PVA demuxing tool. Website

Nice list, couple there I hadn't tried.

Having spent all day on the net I found VideoReDo Plus - does just what I want. Was initially detered by reports that it would not do AC3 but that has been proved wrong and it has a 15 day free trial with all facilities - just enough for the current job.

Nice list, couple there I hadn't tried.

Having spent all day on the net I found VideoReDo Plus - does just what I want. Was initially detered by reports that it would not do AC3 but that has been proved wrong and it has a 15 day free trial with all facilities - just enough for the current job.

Nero 7 Ultra [operative word is ULTRA] will do this, we do it all the time for the commecial datacasting / IPTV via satellite we do.

It is cheap and nasty but works well.

doom9.net is one of the best resources - also virtualdub will do a h*ll of alot with video and audio - been using it for years and it is very versatile - but it is not one of the easiest packages to use - not click and go mostly - but not too hard either...