Bangkok Airport Problems Threaten Tourist-Friendly Image

webfact

Bangkok airport problems threaten tourist-friendly image

By Amy Sawitta Lefevre

(Reuters) - When Bangkok's futuristic $4 billion (2.5 billion pound) Suvarnabhumi airport opened six years ago, it was hailed as a model for the region.

Today, it is beset by two-hour immigration queues, passenger numbers far beyond capacity and a crisis over management.

Immigration queues have grown so long travellers have been told to arrive three hours before a flight, an hour longer than in most air hubs, threatening to damage Thailand's tourist-friendly image. [more...]

Full story: http://www.reuters.c...E82F00W20120316

-- REUTERS 2012-03-17

footer_n.gif

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"it was hailed as a model for the region"

A model for what is the question ?.....Swampy always reminds me of some of the unfinished industrial sites/plant...I have worked on over the years....what is the deal with the stainless steel scaffolding planks on the walkways over to the car park ?....post modernist nightmare IMHO

Give me Changi anyday....

Singapore must have been pissing themselves laughing watching that place get built...

I flew through about 3 months after it opened and bits of it were falling apart then.

• Like 1

Sad. After living here (I still love Thailand) it seems that everything that the government is connected with ends up being 'ucked up. Besides of the corruption that is always connected with the projects (which makes the costs go up and the chance of poor workmanship), there is never anyone being "pro-active" -- thinking of the "what ifs" and the pro's and con's. Maybe it isn't in this country's culture to be "pro-active" and thinking of the negatives when planning a place due to the saving face syndrome. So the question I have... The airport wasn't built big enough? or Is the problem due to poor management that will not have more passport control booths?

"it was hailed as a model for the region"

A model for what is the question ?.....Swampy always reminds me of some of the unfinished industrial sites/plant...I have worked on over the years....what is the deal with the stainless steel scaffolding planks on the walkways over to the car park ?....post modernist nightmare IMHO

Give me Changi anyday....

Singapore must have been pissing themselves laughing watching that place get built...

I flew through about 3 months after it opened and bits of it were falling apart then.

See on monday at changi and Swampy land.

Back in 2005 my neighbour was an architect whose friend worked on the Suvaranbumi -on the swamp-airport project. He said it was made with cheap second rate building materials ( not including computers,air traffic control equip and radars which were imported). The 'seepage 'or % lost in kickbacks was around 25-30 % of the total budget.......gone. Not surprsingly a mini housing/condo boom started up around this time due to all the free money flowing to the rich and influencial.

Those tacky metal passenger terminal chairs were a disgrace. Singapore airport officials would have simply laughed and said....i told you so.

• Like 1

Funny that they are worried the airport threatens to tarnish their tourist friendly image...how about the daily assault, intimidation and robbing of tourists in scam after scam such as on the beaches of Pattaya, Phuket and Koh Samui with the jet ski gangs?

• Like 1

Sad. After living here (I still love Thailand) it seems that everything that the government is connected with ends up being 'ucked up. Besides of the corruption that is always connected with the projects (which makes the costs go up and the chance of poor workmanship), there is never anyone being "pro-active" -- thinking of the "what ifs" and the pro's and con's. Maybe it isn't in this country's culture to be "pro-active" and thinking of the negatives when planning a place due to the saving face syndrome. So the question I have... The airport wasn't built big enough? or Is the problem due to poor management that will not have more passport control booths?

Maybe not "big enough" but I seem to remember Thaksin boasting about the tallest control tower.

Back in 2005 my neighbour was an architect whose friend worked on the Suvaranbumi -on the swamp-airport project. He said it was made with cheap second rate building materials ( not including computers,air traffic control equip and radars which were imported). The 'seepage 'or % lost in kickbacks was around 25-30 % of the total budget.......gone. Not surprsingly a mini housing/condo boom started up around this time due to all the free money flowing to the rich and influencial.

Those tacky metal passenger terminal chairs were a disgrace. Singapore airport officials would have simply laughed and said....i told you so.

My favorite Suwanabhumi kick back story was Yaowapa's airport parking concession scam where the guy who bribed her with 30 million Baht complained to authorities that she stiffed him and someone else got the concession. Her defense was "that's ridiculous as I'm not even on the parking concession committee". You couldn't make it up.

Anyhow the materials and dimensions of materials used at Suwannbhumi are all subpar. You could see it falling apart only months into its usage. Some you couldn't see yet as King Power was blocking most of the corridors laugh.png .

it does not threaten the world as a Thai-built and operated nuclear power plant would ... now THAT is something about which to be very, very concerned.

without want to start this argument again....A nuclear plant would not be "Thai-built" and for at least the first 5-7 years would not be Thai run either...and if Thailand cannot get any home grown reactor operators who have passed the international exam, they will not be operating it either themselves.

This I highly doubt. If Thais decide they need a nuclear reactor they will build it and run it; I'm quite confident they will not see the need for any foreign staff other than consultants who's advice they will most likely ignore.

• Like 2

My view of LOS is that its basically Mexico without the work ethic! But I love Mexico too! It's their country and the people get the government they deserve so enough said there. But as an American married to a Thai and having spent alot of time here there is much to love about this country and the people and tourists will still flock here. I've been fortunate at Swampy as I've not had a bad experience there yet, knock on wood. The longest line I've waited in was maybe 45 minutes but usually less that 15 at the times I've come through and sometimes no wait at all. Flying again to HK on Monday so we will see if my luck holds. I do agree about those damned metal chairs though!

System can be crappy, but the management and their workers can work effectively to mitigate the problems. When the system and workers failed to deliver the services, the poor results are expected as an outcome. This is such a disgrace. Where is a good customer service now-a-day?

Thais never plan anything more than 30 min ahead,then what you think if they build an airport,big problem is they also don't like to listen,special do not like advice from foreigner
  • Like 2

it does not threaten the world as a Thai-built and operated nuclear power plant would ... now THAT is something about which to be very, very concerned.

without want to start this argument again....A nuclear plant would not be "Thai-built" and for at least the first 5-7 years would not be Thai run either...and if Thailand cannot get any home grown reactor operators who have passed the international exam, they will not be operating it either themselves.

I guess I missed that exchange ... bet it was spirited.

And I won't argue what you just wrote, or start this arguement again, but to say ... while the construction and operation of a Thai nuclear power plant will be by internationally certified persons, to the extent those certified persons are Thais who are overseen by Thais who are not certified (as in Thai elected officials, bureaucrats, whomever in the Royal Thai Ministry of Pending Nuclear Disaster working closely with the Royal Thai Ministry of Corruption and the Royal Thai Ministry of Incompetence), the performances these values tof certified Thais will be influenced.

... 25-30% off of the billions of US$ in cost to build and operate a nuke is simply too much for persons raised wih Thai cultural values to resist ... period.

... Thai cultural values are as predictable as the half-life of cesium ... these cultural values are burned into them, at every level of Thai socio-economic status ... Thai standards of behavior eventually have their influence.

... it's just a theory, though.

TIT. I have some educated Thai friends that admit, Thailand will never come out of the third world. They simply, don't care. Although we, as foreigners, see fault in how things are run and, as one poster put it, not pro-actively acted upon, the Thai's simply don't work that way. And let's face it, it's part of what we love about Thailand (and hate). That mai pen rai laid back attitude makes it a less stressful place....as long as you're not trying to get something done on time or on budget wink.png.

Thailand is a wonderful place to live if you can adopt that most Buddhist of all principles, "no attachment to outcome" Anyone will tell you that that attachment will only bring suffering.

... whoa! ... I never thought about that! ... that explains "mai pen rai".

... if you were designing a philosophy to pacify its followers, I can think of few principles that are more effective.

... remind me, wasn't the Buddha's father a ruler of some sort?

Edited by swillowbee

This I highly doubt. If Thais decide they need a nuclear reactor they will build it and run it; I'm quite confident they will not see the need for any foreign staff other than consultants who's advice they will most likely ignore.

With all due respect, based on your comments, you dont have a clue as to how commerical nuclear is set up world wide, this is not the way it works.....

Thailand could build what ever they want, if they dont get an operating license from the IAEC they dont get no fuel rods.

Commerial nuclear is controlled by a set of international rules, if a country chooses not to follow the rules, then no support from IAEC, no operating licenses etc...

Even China follows these rules, and before you say in your in your opinion I bet they don't....I know for a fact they do, as many moons ago, I was on nuclear construction/commissioning in China when they built the first 1800 mW PWR set up in Southern China.

Rather than turn this topic into the pro and cons of Thai nuclear, this we should get back on topic

But you should fill up the local morticians schools as soon as construction starts.

As to Swampy.... did anyone expect different.

If they want to fix the pass-through time problem, cut off half the new construction

and put back in that half of the 2/3rds of Immigration checkpoint booths

that are not in use because of the construction.

Think ahead... nah why do that.

How many times has national disgrace on an international scale happened here,

because those in control can't think past the immediate gains of their actions

and never 'what if', any problems BEFORE they appear?

Edited by animatic
  • Like 1

I guess I missed that exchange ... bet it was spirited.

And I won't argue what you just wrote, or start this arguement again, but to say ... while the construction and operation of a Thai nuclear power plant will be by internationally certified persons, to the extent those certified persons are Thais who are overseen by Thais who are not certified (as in Thai elected officials, bureaucrats, whomever in the Royal Thai Ministry of Pending Nuclear Disaster working closely with the Royal Thai Ministry of Corruption and the Royal Thai Ministry of Incompetence), the performances these values tof certified Thais will be influenced.

... 25-30% off of the billions of US$ in cost to build and operate a nuke is simply too much for persons raised wih Thai cultural values to resist ... period.

... Thai cultural values are as predictable as the half-life of cesium ... these cultural values are burned into them, at every level of Thai socio-economic status ... Thai standards of behavior eventually have their influence.

... it's just a theory, though.

Read post #21...

Funny that they are worried the airport threatens to tarnish their tourist friendly image...how about the daily assault, intimidation and robbing of tourists in scam after scam such as on the beaches of Pattaya, Phuket and Koh Samui with the jet ski gangs?

Sounds a bit like London then.

• Like 2

YES and YES...

Bangkok airport problems threaten tourist-friendly image

Despite what has previously been posted about swamp airport, may I ask how an airport can affect a tourist-friendly image?

Once past the airport, we then encounter what is tourist friendly or not - not the ruddy airport itself.

What a misleading headline, if I ever saw one!! :(

-mel

• Like 1

As I usually fly AirAsia, let's hope they move to the old airport soon. Thankfully, there is a direct connection from KUL to Chiang Mai, but at awful connecting times. Sadly, one must travel via BKK for most other international flights.

If Immigration are short staffed, who is going to work in the old place??

Immigration is certainly a problem for tourists and businessmen arriving in Bangkok.

But Thailand is not the only country with these problems.

Read today's IHT, where the situation in US is described as "disgraceful".

Now I don't say, Thailand does not have a serious problem, indeed they have, but is not a problem unique to Thailand.

Just a few ideas on how to improve the immigration problem:

- at least the long distance flight by THAI could put an immigration officer in the plane. If he has up-to-date equipment, he could finalize the immigration procedure in the plane, otherwise at least check if the arrival cards are correctly filled in.

- I don't uderstand why Thailand makes such a big fuzz when leaving the kingdom. Why not just ask at check-in to give back the arrival/departure card and skip the lenghty check at immigration, at least for non-Thai-citizen.

Someone has other ideas?

If you have been thru immigration entering the US, you would see it makes a really bad first impression of the country, and tinges the rest of the experience. Ignorant, aggressive, supercilious gun-toting immigration staff sneering at the stupidity of new arrivals who dare to think they are worthy enough to visit doesn't create a positive impression, I'm afraid.

I have been thru immigration in US, at both Cincinatti, and Michigan's Metro. I accept slight delay, as they are doing their jobs purely in the interest of National Security. It isn't off-putting, as it is purely a step into the country. I DO NOT consider it as part of my welcome and tourist friendly, or not, experience or impression of my visit to the US. I don't see why anybody would. Of course, this is just my opinion. I don't see why anybody would consider their entry to Thailand in the same light. If they haven't bothered to gain a visa before travel, or are happening upon their chances, why should they not expect delay? Those who are prepared go straight thru, without question, in my experience.

-mel. wink.png

Edit: Those without correct paperwork have to simply go through a normal system of paperwork checks. As farang, they are no better or worse than anybody who is not prepared. I don't see how paperwork checks affect friendly or non-friendly images of the tourism industry of any country, as the headline suggests.

Edited by MEL1
  • Like 1