3Bb Samui Proper Terrible

No problem in Lamai so must be local. Which package? I know a couple of people who use the cheapest (580) package but they say it's always shit.

Boils down to line attenuation and noise mate, most phonelines in the UK for example have been there for donkeys years and have become degraded which will have a negative effect on their ability to carry data. On Samui, most of the lines are much newer and made for digital traffic so can keep up a good pace but there is still a limit on its ability to transmit data based on the length of the phoneline to the cabinet or exchange.

Edited by notmyself

Up here in Plai Laem, my 3BB is working fine. (9xx baht per month deal.)

Not only that, but since I installed 3BB, my TOT has been good as well. (I installed 3BB as a back-up to TOT.)

Mind you - I have probably just done the 'the kiss of death' by posting this. hit-the-fan.gif

Boils down to line attenuation and noise

Spot on.

90% of my Net speed problems over the years have been line-related, the local linesman causing most of these when cutting (or stepping on) lines for "testing" and just twisting the new line ends poorly together (often without any insulation tape). Your local linesman will never find an intermitting noise problem, and may actually cause a new one to appear with his "testing".

Try this neat free app to measure and graph line noise (Signal/Noise Ratio, SNR): RouterStats

Look for noise spikes on the line, specially on windy/rainy days.

Also look for specific times of the day (e.g. evening) when SNR drops - this indicates electric power interference, and could be your line has been used as a support anchor for someone's power line.