Daytime Running Lights

clives

Are we to assume you are in Thailand?

Gotta ask why you had DTRL fitted and what are they?

Why not just switch on your headlights..unless of course you are Thai in which case they will flatten your battery and use more fuel?

Who told you DTRL are illegal...

It is illegal to use those spots/fog lights in the lower spoiler in Oz in the city unless bad weather ......even at night ! Strange...

I do not think that 'day time driving Lights 'are illegal. driving with your headlights on maybe (not sure) .

it would be strange if it is as all motorcycles built since 2110 do not even have a switch to turn off the lights.

Thanks for the replies so far...........

Yes of course I am in Thailand, this is the Thailand Motor Forum, and no I am not Thai so flattening my battery and using more fuel is not an issue.

The topic "Daytime Running Lights" kinda answers the question. As to having them fitted, it seems a good idea!

I was only asking if anyone has them or has knowledge of what I have been told (which I do suspect is total BS)

Edited by clives

I got an Audi with the set of DTRL and it is a great safety feature,it simply makes you more visible for the other road users...but TIT,so any logical explanation may not be logical here...lets hope they are legalsmile.png

Thanks for the replies so far...........

Yes of course I am in Thailand, this is the Thailand Motor Forum, and no I am not Thai so flattening my battery and using more fuel is not an issue.

The topic "Daytime Running Lights" kinda answers the question. As to having them fitted, it seems a good idea!

I was only asking if anyone has them or has knowledge of what I have been told (which I do suspect is total BS)

Running lights wil not flatten the battery or cost you bundles in fuel.

Seems using head lights in daytime is restricted to government rides to show folk you are important. So, you could have a problem with the BiB.

As Volvo's have daytime lights from factory, l wonder if they are disengaged in LOS. Have seen a few Volvo's around with no daytime lights so perhaps the ''safe'' feature is not allowed here.

Logically it is not illegal, but many have misinterpreted the law. Many nations have adopted the DRL because of proven safety reasons.

I would think that driving at night without lights to be more of a problem than driving daytime with lights on.

Funny thing about Thailand is, you read 1 line of the law and everyone is a lawyer.

Logically it is not illegal, but many have misinterpreted the law. Many nations have adopted the DRL because of proven safety reasons.

I would think that driving at night without lights to be more of a problem than driving daytime with lights on.

Funny thing about Thailand is, you read 1 line of the law and everyone is a lawyer.

In the past it has been read here that guys have been stopped by the BiB for having lights on in the daytime and TOLD to switch them off cos they are not one of the Hi-So's that can. cowboy.gif

In the past it has been read here that guys have been stopped by the BiB for having lights on in the daytime and TOLD to switch them off cos they are not one of the Hi-So's that can. cowboy.gif

That is sad... unfortunately unless they can prove it I can say my switch is stuck at "ON".

When I drive "up-country" I do drive with my headlights on in the day time, to be safer... not to feel "Hi So". Never had a problem, had cops drive past me without problems.

I'm not trying to argue with you, it's just a sad state of affairs in this country sometimes.

Here's a story... I was following a car with diplomatic plates, only later down the road cops pulled me over telling me that I made an illegal turn. Never saw the sign, and we asked why they didn't stop the diplomatic car... they replied saying they are allowed to do it... wife yelled at them "Diplomats are allowed to break Thai laws?!" Cops didn't know what to say and let us go.

That is sad... unfortunately unless they can prove it I can say my switch is stuck at "ON".

When I drive "up-country" I do drive with my headlights on in the day time, to be safer... not to feel "Hi So". Never had a problem, had cops drive past me without problems.

I'm not trying to argue with you, it's just a sad state of affairs in this country sometimes.

Here's a story... I was following a car with diplomatic plates, only later down the road cops pulled me over telling me that I made an illegal turn. Never saw the sign, and we asked why they didn't stop the diplomatic car... they replied saying they are allowed to do it... wife yelled at them "Diplomats are allowed to break Thai laws?!" Cops didn't know what to say and let us go.

Think you must remember all cops are not controlling all stuff. ONLY a traffic cop ''might'' stop you, unless he is off to a bar, but a cop who's job is not highway related he will not stop you.

I do not think that 'day time driving Lights 'are illegal. driving with your headlights on maybe (not sure) .

it would be strange if it is as all motorcycles built since 2110 do not even have a switch to turn off the lights.

Indeed,but i remember that a short while before it became law that motorbikes needed to have lights on during daytime,the BIB would write tickets for those who had them on.

i also remember in my home country many years ago,again shortly before the 3rd brake light became mandatory,people would add a rear fog light because the trend had blown over from the US already but still no law in Europe,but they would get a ticket for having them.

Motorcycles must have the lights on 24/7 and so should cars.

I haven't had police say anything but plenty of people will wave at you thinking you have them on by accident. I don't have DRL but turn lights on sometimes.

Yeh, same here, as they do something stupid in front of me. BIG learning curve that requires a lot of patience.

I've been stopped several times for using lights during the day.

Never been fined for it though.

My definition of daylight ends at about 5pm. Worryingly, some people believe daylight ends at 7:30pm. What do the police think?

Police think that 5pm is quitting time. So....

Funny thing about Thailand is , you read you read one line and everyone complains about Thais and the laws or the people who do or don't enforce them.

When in Rome do as the Romans do...

So of us came here because it is different we don't want it like the place we came from.

Edited by VocalNeal

Just had DRL fitted, and been told that is now illegal to have them on during the day????.

Using my powers of deduction today.

Use of headlights during the daytime is illegal.

Why?

Not one car seen this morning with headlights on.

Volvo was the pioneer of Daytime Running Lights yet today I saw 5 Volvos, even a red plate one and none had Daytime Running Lights.

Conclusion: Using headlights in the daytime in Thailand is illegal.

Some European cars like Audi use LED Daytime Running Lights and they are ON during the daytime.

Conclusion:: LED daytime running lights are legal, "not illegal",ignored or considered decorative.

"It's elementary my dear Watson"

Edited by VocalNeal

Just had DRL fitted, and been told that is now illegal to have them on during the day????.

Using my powers of deduction today.

Use of headlights during the daytime is illegal.

Why?

Not one car seen this morning with headlights on.

Volvo was the pioneer of Daytime Running Lights yet today I saw 5 Volvos, even a red plate one and none had Daytime Running Lights.

Conclusion: Using headlights in the daytime in Thailand is illegal.

Some European cars like Audi use LED Daytime Running Lights and they are ON during the daytime.

Conclusion:: LED daytime running lights are legal, "not illegal",ignored or considered decorative.

"It's elementary my dear Watson"

You telling me the cops didn't finish elementary school!? ~joke.

and stop calling me Watson.

Why not just switch on your headlights..unless of course you are Thai in which case they will flatten your battery and use more fuel?

It is illegal to use those spots/fog lights in the lower spoiler in Oz in the city unless bad weather ......even at night ! Strange...

Why would day lights increase fuel usage ?

I run an in car entertainment system that consumes about 140amp's when cranked, to date I have seen no deterioration in fuel economy and I run the ICE at capacity most likely 90% of my driving time.

Unless someone can produce a Thai version of the law, this discussion will go on for ages.... Unless someone can actually reproduce/post the Thai version of the law stating that it is illegal, then this thread will go on forever.

BTW, i don't mind being call Watson.~ joke.

Why would day lights increase fuel usage ?

I run an in car entertainment system that consumes about 140amp's when cranked, to date I have seen no deterioration in fuel economy and I run the ICE at capacity most likely 90% of my driving time.

It is a joke aimed at Thais...

"Motorcycles must have the lights on 24/7 ..."

Mine go off when I park it. Am I in big trouble?

No because the law requires "Motorcycles must have the lights ON.

Cars NO. At least that was my deduction not having seen Volvos with lights on or any other cars for that matter.

Edited by VocalNeal

I installed a quality steel aftermarket grill to my Pajero GT over a year ago that has the day lights incorporated into it with wiring harness and on/off switch made to match the other switches on the dash. I've done 40,000kl now and have never been questioned in any way at police road blocks about these lights. But the main feature of this Steel Mesh Grill is that it stops the stones from flattening the fins on the Intercooler which is a major problem with the Mitsu's. Thats actually why i bought it in the first place. But the lights certainly do work as 80% of the thai drivers catch them in their mirrors and move over out of the way. Maybe they do think it's some Hi-So yobbo, i don't know but it works.