Any Non-Drinkers Out There Enjoy The Pattaya Nightlife?

cheynewalk

Just wondering if there are any non-drinkers out there that regularly enjoy the bars and nightclubs in pattaya? Do you find any stigma attached to just sitting there nursing a soft drink? Do the girls think you're a bit of a cheap charlie? Are soft drinks just as expensive as beer in the bars?

Was planning a visit and trying to cut down on my drinking at the moment for health reasons.

I've done it many times as I haven't had a drink since 2010. You will usually find that just about any bar you go in will have a few customers who don't drink alcohol - in fact you would be surprised how many recovering alcoholics there are in Pattaya, some of whom still frequent the bars.

Sometimes, the most macho guys are sitting there nursing a coke, or an orange juice or even a bottle of water.

The bars in the Walking Street area generally charge you as much for a Coke or a water as they do for a beer - and the profit margin is much higher - so it doesn't bother them, but in most other areas, soft drinks are a fair bit cheaper than alcoholic drinks. If I am charged a low price for my Coke, I compensate by buying the girls more drinks, as the bars aren't run for my cheap pleasure.

Even if the price is quite high, you find that you drink at a much slower rate than you would if you were on beer or whisky. There's only so many cans of Coke or bottles of water you can stomach. So again, I buy the girls a drink instead and everyone is happy.

As far as the girls looking down on you is concerned; well as stated above if you buy them a drink they will only have good thoughts, but more than that, in my experience, most girls admire a man who doesn't drink. It is a sign of strength and a welcome relief from all the drunken bums who try to paw them at the first opportunity.

Go for it - believe it or not you can get into the mood of things and have a really great time without imbibing, and if you use the money you save to entertain a couple of girls, you won't go too far wrong.

• Like 2

Did you ever consider the possibility that you are not that important? :) I'm only half joking when I say this because this is something that I have to frequently tell myself. Most people are not going to even notice that you are not drinking. Of course you will sometimes get the suffering drunk who can't cope with the idea of other people without an alcoholic drink in their hand, but these are in the minority and they are easy to brush off. If you are worried about what people will think just say that you are on antibiotics.

Did you ever consider the possibility that you are not that important? smile.png I'm only half joking when I say this because this is something that I have to frequently tell myself. Most people are not going to even notice that you are not drinking. Of course you will sometimes get the suffering drunk who can't cope with the idea of other people without an alcoholic drink in their hand, but these are in the minority and they are easy to brush off. If you are worried about what people will think just say that you are on antibiotics.

If i was worried about what people will think i wouldnt say i was on antibiotics. Especially in this town!cowboy.gif
  • Like 1

Did you ever consider the possibility that you are not that important? smile.png I'm only half joking when I say this because this is something that I have to frequently tell myself. Most people are not going to even notice that you are not drinking. Of course you will sometimes get the suffering drunk who can't cope with the idea of other people without an alcoholic drink in their hand, but these are in the minority and they are easy to brush off. If you are worried about what people will think just say that you are on antibiotics.

If i was worried about what people will think i wouldnt say i was on antibiotics. Especially in this town!cowboy.gif

:lol:

You make a good point :)

I suppose it will be good if he wants to go into a bar to read a book - he will probably be left alone if they think he has an STD.

Now that a drink to me is mostly a red wine sauce with my ribeye,my choice entirely, I find myself enjoying the bar scene even more. I feel better the following morning and my kidneys don't need to work over time.

And I thought I was the only one sitting in a bar not drinking alcohol................I have a GF now, but for many years I went to bars and just drank soft drinks. Most of the women in the bars don't like benig with a boorish drunken bum. They are more choosy and less desperate than most people think.

Smoking is also a major turn off for many Thai women.

For me a drunken woman is not a very attractive site and even less so with a fag in her gob. So why would it be any different for women to think the same about men?

• Like 1

I am sure that there are at least a couple of places that charges more for a soda than for a beer! but i am still not drinking alcohol, in this place it would be way too dangerous to let your awareness to drop even a little, especially if you are driving too.

I never had a problem with it, if a random drunken local get offended if i don't share a bottle of local whisky with them, it's their problem, surely not mine...

The bars in the Walking Street area generally charge you as much for a Coke or a water as they do for a beer

True. I usually drink soda water and have never gotten an attitude about it, but on Walking Street, I usually have a beer as it is the same price as soda and I like one or two from time to time.

I am a lightweight to zero drinker. While I would love a decent vodka and orange juice, I have never had one there that I like. It is either some horrible vodka, or worst, some horrible orange drink juice. Gosh how i miss some real OJ. Beer choices in most gogos are poor. Heineken and a few Thai beers. I would so enjoy a Sam Adams, maybe a Sapporo, even a simple Coors light.

As long you bye some drinks for the Girls you Will be ok.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

Why would you not be ok if you don't buy a drink for the girls?

What's wrong with just sitting with a soft drink and watching the girls?

I'll sit with a water if I wish. I'm not concerned in the slightest what anyone else in the room thinks - but seriously, no one is watching. If you think you are being watched and judged you've got an inflated view of your own importance.

• Like 1

And I thought I was the only one sitting in a bar not drinking alcohol................I have a GF now, but for many years I went to bars and just drank soft drinks. Most of the women in the bars don't like benig with a boorish drunken bum. They are more choosy and less desperate than most people think.

For me a drunken woman is not a very attractive site and even less so with a fag in her gob. So why would it be any different for women to think the same about men?

These woman in the bars you're talking about are working there. It's not a dating service where you need to impress them. They're very impressed with open wallets - end of story.

• Like 2

I am a lightweight to zero drinker. While I would love a decent vodka and orange juice, I have never had one there that I like. It is either some horrible vodka, or worst, some horrible orange drink juice. Gosh how i miss some real OJ. Beer choices in most gogos are poor. Heineken and a few Thai beers. I would so enjoy a Sam Adams, maybe a Sapporo, even a simple Coors light.

The OJ they sell in the ice chests on the streets is freshly squeezed, nothing better or tastier than that, just pick some up and take into the bar with you.

These woman in the bars you're talking about are working there. It's not a dating service where you need to impress them. They're very impressed with open wallets - end of story.

HaHaHa, great summing up Tropo. But of course there is the possibility that his GF is different than all the rest!wink.png

Hi, I have been here for the majority of the past 18 years (since well before soi 7 even knew what a bar looked like) and visit bars in Jomtien, Pattaya and Naklua on an almost daily basis. Must have done 100's of bars over the years and have never had an alcoholic drink in Thailand.

Not sure about nightclubs as I never go to them but in bars, ordering a soft drink will get you no different reaction whatever to ordering a Singha or whisky and coke. They charge a fortune for either (and still lose money usually) so they really don't care.

Just be what choosey you consume as many soft drinks are very high in sugar. I often just order a bottle of water or cup of tea. No one bats an eyelid as I still have to pay the price of a soft drink or beer anyway and they know I'm not going to get drunk and cause problems (unlike many farangs here).

Most bars serve coffee so I usually have one or two of those and also one soft drink and one Lipo or M150 a day.

Certainly, when the girls hear I have not had an alcoholic drink in 30 years it's usually a huge plus for me. If it's not, I know she's annoyed her scams are less likely to work but I rarely go to bars that look that way inclined and I'm very rarely wrong after all these years.

I actually feel quite sorry for you chaps who go out and get think they have to get ratassed. You've no idea what you are missing. (Believe me, being drunk was no stranger to me 31 years ago so I know what I'm talking about)

When you give up the devils brew you find a whole new world. (and it's a very exciting one if you make the effort).

Offer me 10,000 dollars to drink a bottle of beer and I'd refuse.

Been there, done that, got wise. Life's never been better.

Remember that in those first few horrid seconds waking up after the night before :-)

Simon.

• Like 2

Hi, I have been here for the majority of the past 18 years (since well before soi 7 even knew what a bar looked like) and visit bars in Jomtien, Pattaya and Naklua on an almost daily basis. Must have done 100's of bars over the years and have never had an alcoholic drink in Thailand.

Not sure about nightclubs as I never go to them but in bars, ordering a soft drink will get you no different reaction whatever to ordering a Singha or whisky and coke. They charge a fortune for either (and still lose money usually) so they really don't care.

Just be what choosey you consume as many soft drinks are very high in sugar. I often just order a bottle of water or cup of tea. No one bats an eyelid as I still have to pay the price of a soft drink or beer anyway and they know I'm not going to get drunk and cause problems (unlike many farangs here).

Most bars serve coffee so I usually have one or two of those and also one soft drink and one Lipo or M150 a day.

Certainly, when the girls hear I have not had an alcoholic drink in 30 years it's usually a huge plus for me. If it's not, I know she's annoyed her scams are less likely to work but I rarely go to bars that look that way inclined and I'm very rarely wrong after all these years.

I actually feel quite sorry for you chaps who go out and get think they have to get ratassed. You've no idea what you are missing. (Believe me, being drunk was no stranger to me 31 years ago so I know what I'm talking about)

When you give up the devils brew you find a whole new world. (and it's a very exciting one if you make the effort).

Remember that in those first few horrid seconds waking up after the night before :-)

Simon.

Your not the guy who rides around town on a bicycle dressed in gold are you?

HaHaHa, great summing up Tropo. But of course there is the possibility that his GF is different than all the rest!wink.png

Just keeping it real. So many punters forget where they are. It's amusing to see them running around trying to impress the bargirls and falling in love with them.

• Like 1

in this place it would be way too dangerous to let your awareness to drop even a little, especially if you are driving too.

You wouldn't be paranoid if they weren't out to get you, right wink.png Really! This is Pattaya, I can't imagine any place I'd feel safer than here.

Gosh how i miss some real OJ.

I've seen real OJ in Big C Xtra among other places (in the cooler), expensive but if you crave it you crave it. I've even seen real Israeli oranges when they're in season.

The OJ they sell in the ice chests on the streets is freshly squeezed, nothing better or tastier than that, just pick some up and take into the bar with you.

The OJ they sell in the ice chests on the street is not what we would call Oranges in the west, but Thai oranges i.e. Mandarins. Awful. sick.gif

Edited by WyattEarp

This is Pattaya, I can't imagine any place I'd feel safer than here.

Very good, go for it, have as many drinks as you like tonight, after all you are in Thailand, the hub of safety! laugh.png

As long you bye some drinks for the Girls you Will be ok.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

Why would you not be ok if you don't buy a drink for the girls?

What's wrong with just sitting with a soft drink and watching the girls?

I'll sit with a water if I wish. I'm not concerned in the slightest what anyone else in the room thinks - but seriously, no one is watching. If you think you are being watched and judged you've got an inflated view of your own importance.

The op asked "Do the girls think you're a bit of a cheap charlie?" so yes, if you not bye a drink for at least 1 girl they probably think you are a cheap charlie.

The op asked "Do the girls think you're a bit of a cheap charlie?" so yes, if you not bye a drink for at least 1 girl they probably think you are a cheap charlie.

Thanks for the clarification but I was aware of what the OP had said.

My point was - why would it matter what they think.

However, I believe your assessment is wrong. The girls would more likely think that the customer not buying them a drink is not interested in any of them. In any particular bar the number of customers not buying drinks for girls normally outnumbers the ones who are.

Sensitive people such as yourself may be concerned about how you come across to the girls, but the girls are focused on finding the odd drunk and/or naive customer with money to burn.

This thread is what I love about Thai Visa......Tropo slagged me off on page 1 and assumed I had fallen in love with Bar Girls.

I have never fallen "in love" with a bar girl. BUT because a woman works in a bar it does not make her a bad person.

For the record I have been with many women in Thailand, a lot of whom never ever worked in a bar. Dental Hygenist, Nurse, hotel receptionist, British Embassy employee and a ticket teller on the BKK Sky train, to name a few.

Also, I take it as a bloody insult on behalf of my GF who I had known for a long time before we even started dating that because of my bachelor antics in Thailand it is "assumed" she was a bar girl. Nothing could be further from the truth. She has never ever worked in bar and has a legitimate registered company of her own.

I have many friends who do have partners that worked in bars and very, very few are the stereotypical, money orientated mercenaries that do work in the bars and Go Go establishments. I would be a complete idiot to assume that these women did not exist.

As for the line "she's different". I have never used that line. Because I have no need. I could however write a book ( it would make a good title) about the guys I do know that have used that line and ended up eating and choking on those words with an empty bank balance to boot.

The topic of this thread is non alcohol drinks......what I did not mention on my original post was that many Thai woman I have met working and not working in a bar that don't touch alcohol at all. I guess it was a 50 / 50 split.

Simon.

Your not the guy who rides around town on a bicycle dressed in gold are you?

No, I'm far more likely to be riding one in a local gym dressed in white and blue. :-)

Edited by Simon1287