White Gold Wedding Band - Us Or Bkk?

bangkokburning

I have the option of buying ring(s) in US or Thailand. US I have the Internet to give me best value, Thailand I can possibly buy by weight (not sure about trendy white gold?). Which is a better situation? Seems like prices are jacked up on gold bands in US simply because like everything else - they are linked to the marriage mystique. If I cannot buy by weight, seems US might be better choice unless the mystique factor really outweighs in US than Thailand. Also obviously worried about fraud/fakes.

Originally wanted to go with Platinum, but that is just stupid crazy expensive now in US.

White gold is plated with Rhodium will we have problem getting ring/s replated in Thailand?

Any chance of getting some scrap gold I have made into a ring cheap? It shouldn't cost what I could simply buy a ring off the shelf for.

thanks-

Platinum is $1,680 per oz, while gold is $1,668 per oz. (Source: infomine.com)

Seems like a ring made from either material should have a similar price unless they're counting on people believing platinum is still trading higher than gold (or they're selling you a low carat weight gold alloy). It does trade higher historically, but not so much today.

You may want to relook at platinum if that's what you want.

Edited by impulse

I recommend getting them in the US, purely for the sake of more style of choices.

I got married last month, and myself and my wife wanted plain white gold bands. They were nearly impossible to find; plain that is. The ones we come across searching high and low in Silom, China Town, Central world etc., had rings with diamonds in them.

Luckily I found 2 rings 3 days before we got married, at the Terminal 21 shopping mall.... so I've still got my nuts intact :)

The style of the rings you want is defo something worth thinking about.

I found the design I wanted on the internet (celtic knots carved into platinum band), took the photo to one of the jewellery counters in central BangNa and 2 weeks later I had matching wedding rings custom made to match the photo. I think the place was called Millenium, they did an excellent job and prices were much cheaper than I found on internet from USA.

Platinum is $1,680 per oz, while gold is $1,668 per oz. (Source: infomine.com)

Seems like a ring made from either material should have a similar price unless they're counting on people believing platinum is still trading higher than gold (or they're selling you a low carat weight gold alloy). It does trade higher historically, but not so much today.

You may want to relook at platinum if that's what you want.

I am a jeweler and own a shop America. Here is my advice. Buy the rings in BKK. It will be cheaper than buying in US. Even buying online you risk being sold an inferior product by a company trying to advertise a low price.

As to the Platinum vs White gold.... Platinum is close to the same price today but will cost MUCH more than white gold. Why????

1) Platinum is 60% heavier than gold

2) 14kt gold is 58% gold 42% allo. A quality Platinum product is alloyed with 95% Platinum and 5% cobalt.

So to recap you have a higher priced metal which is 60% heavier and a higher % of precious metal per item. This all leads to an exponentially higher price for platinum jewelery.

My advice is to get your white gold in BKK have it Rhodium plated and be happy! Congrats on your marriage!

Hey now - That was an education and that is why the Platinum is more expensive. Kodan - do we have any chance of getting 18K white gold in BKK or does it really even matter in that it will be plated with Rhodium?

Kodan - is not white gold normally plated in Rhodium here as well? Is this not what gives it such a beautiful shine? Any idea how much this might cost (in BKK)?

Scoundrals on the Internet, who knew!

Platinum is close to the same price today but will cost MUCH more than white gold. Why????

1) Platinum is 60% heavier than gold

2) 14kt gold is 58% gold 42% allo. A quality Platinum product is alloyed with 95% Platinum and 5% cobalt.

So to recap you have a higher priced metal which is 60% heavier and a higher % of precious metal per item. This all leads to an exponentially higher price for platinum jewelery.

Platinum is much heavier than 14 Kt Gold, but SG of pure gold is 19.3, pure platinum is 21.4. Almost trivial, and that's where my comment on lower carat weight alloys comes in. Yes, the platinum ring will be more expensive than a gold ring of the same design. As for "exponentially higher" that depends more on the markup from the jeweler than the cost of the raw materials. Saorsa's story seems to match my contention.

Edited by impulse

Just make sure that you get a proper receipt with the full purchase details and the stamp of the company that you purchased from.

It makes it so much easier when you need to take the rings back....beit for any reason... repairs, hock... whatever....

Just make sure that you get a proper receipt with the full purchase details and the stamp of the company that you purchased from.

It makes it so much easier when you need to take the rings back....beit for any reason... repairs, hock... whatever....

I have certificate with the rings and they are also properly hallmarked with stamp. As I say, I am very happy and saved a few hundred dollars over the price of ordering from USA. It took them more metal than they anticipated to make my ring (a bit over 9g) but they stuck to the original quotation. The other plus point is there is no risk of the rings getting 'lost' coming through customs if you buy in Thailand,

We designed and had our rings made in a relatively unknown diamond place at a soi just before Saphan Taksin. Turn left at the small soi next to the petrol station and turn left into the moobaan there. 3rd house on the right with all the cameras.. Sounds dodgy however my wife, and her mother and her mother's mother got their rings made there. I based my design on a 60k Cadeaux ring in Central Chidlom, thicker 13mm with more (and slightly bigger) diamonds mine cost 21k in white gold.

It's actually a diamond sellers and my wife had her engagement ring, earrings and necklace remade with copies to wear everyday which is sensible and bloody annoying!

Sent from Android please excuse errors in type or judgement

Hey now - That was an education and that is why the Platinum is more expensive. Kodan - do we have any chance of getting 18K white gold in BKK or does it really even matter in that it will be plated with Rhodium?

Kodan - is not white gold normally plated in Rhodium here as well? Is this not what gives it such a beautiful shine? Any idea how much this might cost (in BKK)?

Scoundrals on the Internet, who knew!

Im sure you can find 18K white gold in BKK ... You could start at MBK....Yeh yeh I know MBK but it will give you a starting point. Stay OUT of the Malls to buy from even here in America. Malls have the highest mark up of ANY jewelery store. They are generally in Corner locations in malls hence they are paying for two store fronts....twice the rent for the same location.

Buying in BKK WILL BE CHEAPER. In America there is a lot of markup on the labor to create the product. In BKK you will pay mostly for the gold less for the labor.

Rhodium plating does two things.

A) makes gold look shiny. Gold is shiny anyway and will NOT tarnish like silver. 18k gold is 75% gold and will scratch easier than 14k gold (58.5%). What makes gold look dull are the fine scratches on the surface that dispurse the light reflected.

B) Rhodium is hard kinda like Chrome. It protects the gold from these scratches so the ring shines like new longer. Downside to Rhodium is that it wears out and has to be re-plated after a couple 3-5 years. Also if the ring is sixzed after its plated the plating must be redone or you will see where it was sized. Rhodium can occasionally bubble from the heat during sizing also.

My advice is to buy 18k Rhodium plated rings in BKK. (Unless of course you plan on buying from ME !! 5555) Make sure you are getting 18k white gold rings plated NOT yellow gold plated with Rhodium.

Also Impulse had some valid points as well. Hope this helps.

Chok Dee!!

Thanks again for all that.

Costco has a Platinum ring 3mm for US450-480 for her size (+50 membership). Still US fifty cheaper than Amazon. Seems simple and straight forward. It is stamped 950 and the reviews on Amazon are good to quality and fit. Costco ain't gonna rip me off sure.

White gold would be less expensive, but I have no idea what I am buying here or where to go. Of course would never buy anything from a mall. My niee has her first job in a jewellry store and I shudder to think even pushing the purchase her way. I bet the store would still think nothing of ripping me off even on something as simple as a band.

My gf likes simplicity and not really keen on big rings or flash.

I have a stray diamond which is nice blue/white (about .20) I can't find anyone willing to match it with some synthetic diamonds (2) and put in in a three stone setting. Anything to do with jewellery is just hugely overpriced add to it "wedding" and I am supposed to pay even more.

For myself - hell, I might even get a titanium ring. Wish I could have my scrap gold (yellow) brought up to 18K (10/14/18k) and made into a ring. Possible, but a hassle and no idea where I might have this done or the cost.

Check out and get a quote from "Thai Gemstones & Jewellry" who are located in the foyer of the Nana Hotel, Sukhumvit Soi 4. Not the most upmarket location but they are honest and reliable over the 7 years I have dealt with them.

They will make bands to your design in any carat weight, yellow or white gold (and their white gold is the better quality containing platinum, etc) and much cheaper than UK prices so I guess the same with US prices.

You will find either Nit or Lee or both of them behind the counters.

If you PM I will give you my name to quote. jap.gif

Thanks again for all that.

Costco has a Platinum ring 3mm for US450-480 for her size (+50 membership). Still US fifty cheaper than Amazon. Seems simple and straight forward. It is stamped 950 and the reviews on Amazon are good to quality and fit. Costco ain't gonna rip me off sure.

White gold would be less expensive, but I have no idea what I am buying here or where to go. Of course would never buy anything from a mall. My niee has her first job in a jewellry store and I shudder to think even pushing the purchase her way. I bet the store would still think nothing of ripping me off even on something as simple as a band.

My gf likes simplicity and not really keen on big rings or flash.

I have a stray diamond which is nice blue/white (about .20) I can't find anyone willing to match it with some synthetic diamonds (2) and put in in a three stone setting. Anything to do with jewellery is just hugely overpriced add to it "wedding" and I am supposed to pay even more.

For myself - hell, I might even get a titanium ring. Wish I could have my scrap gold (yellow) brought up to 18K (10/14/18k) and made into a ring. Possible, but a hassle and no idea where I might have this done or the cost.

The 950 Plat ring sounds like a deal. Most any jeweler can Rhodium plate for you for about 30-50 bucks. I say buy it! Keep in mind not every jewelery shop can size plat. So make sure its the right size or you may spend some time running around BKK looking for a jeweler that can size it.

That other thing you mentioned about putting your .20 diamond with fake diamonds.......Yeh.... dont do that. You will regret it when the fake diamonds look like shit next to the real diamond in about 2 yrs.

A titanium band for you would be fine. You may want to look at Tungsten rings. Also keep in mind that Titanium, tungsten..etc... cannot be sized...ever. Also look into Ceramic with a Tungsten lining ... feels great!!

PS.... if you just gotta put that .20 with some fake diamonds into a ring ...... I would do that for you but advise against it.

Edited by Kodan

Thanks Mike but Nana Plaza? Wow, could surely not bring the gf there but if what you say is true, it does sound good. I am just SOOOO leary about jewellery in BKK. Scams here are legendary and after the money trades hands - its DONE.

Thanks for the stone info. It came from a small ladies ring my father won when he was in the navy and set it into a ring for new long broken.

I don't really see need to plate the Platinum and that was the reason we want to go for Platinum as it does not need or use plating. I have read the plating comes off fairly easy with sporty types. Thanks for advie about sizing and yeah the Costco deal (you can have a look on their site) looks like a real deal - might even get cheaper if I put off the puirchase well into summer.

Do you know of any way I can utilize scrap gold? Trouble is differing carat wts. Best idea I seem to have is to use a calculation to have it all brought up to 18k and then have it stamped and or made into something OR...get ripped off and dell the scrap - which I am loathe to do.

I've read online and there is also really no way to turn Y gold into W gold as well.

Anything "custom" in the US is crazy priced despite its generally not custom and just wax mold process.

OK thansk for that

Thanks Mike but Nana Plaza? Wow, could surely not bring the gf there but if what you say is true, it does sound good. I am just SOOOO leary about jewellery in BKK. Scams here are legendary and after the money trades hands - its DONE.

Thanks for the stone info. It came from a small ladies ring my father won when he was in the navy and set it into a ring for new long broken.

I don't really see need to plate the Platinum and that was the reason we want to go for Platinum as it does not need or use plating. I have read the plating comes off fairly easy with sporty types. Thanks for advie about sizing and yeah the Costco deal (you can have a look on their site) looks like a real deal - might even get cheaper if I put off the puirchase well into summer.

Do you know of any way I can utilize scrap gold? Trouble is differing carat wts. Best idea I seem to have is to use a calculation to have it all brought up to 18k and then have it stamped and or made into something OR...get ripped off and dell the scrap - which I am loathe to do.

I've read online and there is also really no way to turn Y gold into W gold as well.

Anything "custom" in the US is crazy priced despite its generally not custom and just wax mold process.

OK thansk for that

If you find small Mom & Pop shop and tell them what you want they will be happy to accept your scrap gold as partial payment for your purchase. I do that all the time at my shop. And you may get a better deal at a M&P shop than other places seeing as how you can make an offer.

Platinum will also need to be Rhodium Plated to keep that shine you are looking for. Platinum is very soft like gold and will scratch faster than gold actually. Platinum has less allow to make it harder so it is inherantely softer.

Honestly dude... you are beating yourself up thinking too much. I know you want to do the right thing and not get screwed so just find a quality place that you feel comfortable shopping at and pull the trigger. My wife does this all the time...after she buys something she has to look at the same product EVERY time she sees it to make sure she got the best deal. If she finds it cheaper ...she aint happy. I give her chit about it all the time. 555

OK OK thanks kindly. But do help me understand this if you would.

I was going to go for the Platinum becasue I thought it was not plated and did not need to be plated. Hell, I could buy her a 14-18K white gold band and due to the Rhodium, will look identical.

So I guess if Platinum I will need to factor on getting it replated every year as we do a lot of things outdoors / camping, etc...

Finally, without her with me or ordering online, is there any way to ensure a good fitting? Did you state that Platinum may fit differently than gold (?) ???

OK OK thanks kindly. But do help me understand this if you would.

I was going to go for the Platinum becasue I thought it was not plated and did not need to be plated. Hell, I could buy her a 14-18K white gold band and due to the Rhodium, will look identical.

So I guess if Platinum I will need to factor on getting it replated every year as we do a lot of things outdoors / camping, etc...

Finally, without her with me or ordering online, is there any way to ensure a good fitting? Did you state that Platinum may fit differently than gold (?) ???

If you are both active with camping and outdoor activites I would opt for the 14kt white gold with the plating. Why? A)Its more durable in some ways than plat. because its alloyed with nickle. B) Its cheaper. Not an advocate of going cheaper everytime but in this case I would. People with outdoor lifestyles are hard on jewelery and tend to lose things occasionally. Also get her as simple a ring as possible. Less to go wrong more durable etc. Prongs are bad things for outdoor people. C) Buy the ring that fits the lifestyle and will stand up to what you are asking it to do for many years. D) You wife/gf is tough on jewelry and I bet she is stronger than most women. Plat and 18kt will/could become oval instead of round. Not a big deal but why invite this if you dont have to.

No plat wont 'fit' differently. The wider a band is the tighter it will feel on the finger regardless of what its made of. As much as I hate it when people ask ME to size their finger so they can shop online, I would go to a jewelry shop in a mall and ask them to size her finger. Without knowing the size you are guessing. "just a little bit bigger/smaller' wont work. This is where ordering from a Mom&Pop store comes in handy. They will/should tell you to give her the ring and have her come in to have it sized.....FREE. Thats MY policy at least. Shopping online you will have to take it do another jeweler and have them size it and pay for the service. There IS a reason online is cheaper....but cheaper aint always cheaper. Also buy her a 'comfort fit' band. Its rounder on the inside not flat ....much more comfy and stronger.

Last thing....remember my old saying..."What do you get when you buy Cheap jewelry?.......Expensive problems" But going with a 14kt white gold ring that is a "comfort fit" band you cant go wrong.

P.S. If you guys ever get to Kodiak, Alaska look me up I want to see this ring! 5555 Also could do some camping here on Kodiak.

Hey thanks for your time and patience. We would love to visit Alaska actually. We have actually talked about it a few times. Too bad China Airlines stopped flying - we would definately be there.

Anyway, the ring won't be much for so many reasons, just a simple band. She is tiny and some big stupid ring with lots of DeBeers stones, no we are not doing that.

Your advice is great about the 14k band, comfort fit. They are online and cheap. I just worry that 14k is just not enough if you know what I mean. Having said that - any ring is more than most Thai women get - which often gets put in a box anyway.

I understand regarding sizing the platinum vs white gold. BTW I have no problem in paying someone to size her finger here, what could that cost B100 tip? I might be frugal, but I am not cheap.

Thanks loads for your help.

Hey thanks for your time and patience. We would love to visit Alaska actually. We have actually talked about it a few times. Too bad China Airlines stopped flying - we would definately be there.

Anyway, the ring won't be much for so many reasons, just a simple band. She is tiny and some big stupid ring with lots of DeBeers stones, no we are not doing that.

Your advice is great about the 14k band, comfort fit. They are online and cheap. I just worry that 14k is just not enough if you know what I mean. Having said that - any ring is more than most Thai women get - which often gets put in a box anyway.

I understand regarding sizing the platinum vs white gold. BTW I have no problem in paying someone to size her finger here, what could that cost B100 tip? I might be frugal, but I am not cheap.

Thanks loads for your help.

If you take a ring in to a shop and have it sized it will cost about B700 -B1000...at least thats what Ive seen as some of the tourist shops and Im sure that was Farang pricing.... will prob be cheaper as a 'local' shop. Some shops may size for free if you buy from them. Have never done that in thailand. I only do the 'gold shops'.

Yeh I know what you mean about 14kt "not being enough" but that will be between you and her. You already are going very 'non traditional' with the 'white' instead of yellow gold so the 14kt vs 18kt might not be an issue. And yeh Im the same way ..frugile but not cheap.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Chok Dee!!