Baked Beans

Kananga

I am finding my favourite heinz baked beans are becoming less common these days. As well as being rather expensive.

Does anyone know where I can purchase from a reliable source and preferably less than the 130 baht a tin I am currently paying.

Thank you.

• Like 1

Thanks but they have to be Heinz. The Ayam ones are the wrong size and the sauce tastes too sweet.

Thanks though.

Try Brook brand - we have used those a passable substitute for Heinz. Another one worth trying is McGarratt.

I bought a 420g tin of Heinz baked beans in Cambodia last week for $1.70 (51 Baht !)

Still the wrong size but much less sugar (and salt) "Ayam Light", in English on the tin, for me closest taste to "English" baked beans at a reasonable (cheap) price. McGarratt's right size but find beans too hard and not keen on taste, not saying they are bad, just my opinion.

edit for more info.....Ayam Light about 35 baht/ tin Tesco Lotus or BigC

Edited by terryq

Brookes beans as close as you will get to the Heinz "taste" about 45 to 55 baht most Tesco Lotus stores have them. There is also a Thai produced brand which normally sits alongside the Brookes product on the shelf....35b a tin...personally I dont like the taste of the Thai brand plus the beans are hard and remain hard even after heating.

I was in On Nut Tesco yesterday on my hunt, and unless they have been displayed somewhere else, no beans...

However I did also check out Foodland in Thong Lor today and came across Branston Baked beans for 54 baht. Those of you from the UK will know Branston for its famous sandwich pickles. Not sure how they can be 1/3 of the price of Heinz, but there you go.

I will try them tomorrow and let those of you who are interested how they fare.

Now just need to find some dry cured, streaky wiltshire bacon...

I was in On Nut Tesco yesterday on my hunt, and unless they have been displayed somewhere else, no beans...

However I did also check out Foodland in Thong Lor today and came across Branston Baked beans for 54 baht. Those of you from the UK will know Branston for its famous sandwich pickles. Not sure how they can be 1/3 of the price of Heinz, but there you go.

I will try them tomorrow and let those of you who are interested how they fare.

Now just need to find some dry cured, streaky wiltshire bacon...

Please don't mention streaky wiltshire bacon- you are making me sad LOL -just kidding. Just had Aussie beans (same same as Heinz) on toast with lots of mustard and the only thing missing was bacon.

If you find Wiltshire or Ayrshire bacon please let me know-

Brooks Beans, 45Bahtish

Same as Heinze

I agree, 42 THB at foodland.

Edited by metisdead
Repaired the reply, when replying to a post, make your entry outside the quote tags.

I dont know where you live but Tops in central rama 9 have had heinz beans for the past 2 months! I normally just buy mcgarrett cheap and just as good!

Great, thanks. I've just been asked to go to Singapore for a few days so I will be stocking up there for 35 baht a pop this time.

FYI for fairy cakes you need to go to a place just inside Suk soi 53 on the right hand side.