Comparative Study Between Chem Ferts And Compost

For the lazy readers; a small part of the conclusion, attached bellow.

A little heavy reading but interesting.

Nice in an idealistic world, impossible on a large scale, especially in Thailand.

"Both compost treatments supported both high

yields and increased soil C and N content, while synthetic

chemical fertilizer and raw manure produced

only high yields but did little or nothing to improve soil

nutrient content. Extrapolation of these soil C and N

trends suggests that, although synthetic chemical fertilization

is able to stimulate high short-term yields, it will

not be able to support sustainable crop productivity,

crop health, or soil health over longer time periods.

The long term advantages of soil improvement

through compost amendments were shown in wheat

crops, which relied on residual N in the soil for fertilization.

Positive residual soil nutrient impacts, as measured

by wheat grain yields, were most evident in the

compost treatments, intermediate in the manure treatment,

and lowest in the synthetic fertilizer treatment.

These results underscore the ability of compost

amendments to support crop yields over time."

I wonder if I should respond to this or wait until FEF climbs on board. I agree it is a tall order here in Thailand with the soil so degraded. Especially on rice paddy land where most of the microbes you so carefully give the soil, end up drowned. But Soidog, I love a challenge and from what I have seen your green thumb does to.

FEF has a ten year supply of sunhemp seed, and a mountain of biocharred bagasse so it will be interesting how his C and N figures improve with time.

I can give you an example however. I sold compost to a local farmer who used it instead of cow manure to grow vegetables. They prospered and people took note. Then he grew rice on the same patch and his yield was better than his adjacent paddies. This year he used my compost again and his vegetable yield was vastly improved. The effect accumulates even here in Thailand.

Difficult indeed, impossible no I disagree, it will just take a little longer and be a little harder work.

Edited by IsaanAussie

As you well know, in my garden, at home, I practice what you preach.

We farm commercially several hundred rai, while we do not depend on it, we turn a profit every year using "Thai" methods mixed with some Farang ingenuity.

Come up with business plan that involves profitability, organic compost, cassava or sugar cane; I have a newly purchased 49 rai piece ready to try.

Your friend FFF saw it raw; last year I grew cassava, just planted again.

Best

We farm commercially several hundred rai, while we do not depend on it, we turn a profit every year using "Thai" methods mixed with some Farang ingenuity.

Come up with business plan that involves profitability, organic compost, cassava or sugar cane; I have a newly purchased 49 rai piece ready to try.

Best

Soidog,

You have a deal. I need a source of both crops. If you are seriously interested than we should take this offline. I am making organic fertiliser and looking to pelletise it.

Isaan Aussie

Best

Soidog,

You have a deal. I need a source of both crops. If you are seriously interested than we should take this offline. I am making organic fertiliser and looking to pelletise it.

Isaan Aussie

what do you mean " I need a source of both crops " ??

Best

Soidog,

Isaan Aussie

what do you mean " I need a source of both crops " ??

Check your messages.

To have ten years of hemp seeds I'd be in heaven. I just blew it by not replanting the Pah Teung (hemp) after working my last into the ground and we got two good rains. Dumb dumb and dumber. A real miss in the gamble of farming, pure and sweet goodness would be awaiting my lovely soil (probably about two and a half meters below historical forested land levels due to older practices causing massive erosion) if I didn't go on the cheap and try to save some of my last 200 pounds of seed for next year. The "Fool on the Hill" as the Beatles once sang is how I feel but get over it as must be. Am I going to rejuvenate the soil and buil;d back that 2 meters and a half of lush topsoil in my lifetime. Now not that much of a ":Fool" to dream that but the great grand nieces and nephews? or their kids kids? I don't think so; maybe a half dozen centuries might show some change to the better in replenishing not just rejuvenating. Sustainable is the bare minimum organic non-chemical the guidelines to the process. No time to go on to one of my epic responses but eill touch base with you guuys thru the draconian mode of more finger banging. "On the farm.." in the Organic seection is where I'll get into it a bit more specfically with the use of Issan Aussie's composts and worm castings and methods. The Dog has already started creating a new world with his soil on his homestead as he produces tons more food on his plot as anyone other does for many a mile around. His earth is growing and will always continue to thrive with what he si doing; in a couple of generations pweople willsee amazing rejuvenation and actual elevation changes in the replenishing of the topsoil as the massive tree specimens he has introduced will continue to flourish and shed and keep the entire biological circle flowing and going and growing, the way it always used to do such a short a time ago. Foolin' on Fords Forever As an afterthought to all, I do have an idea how to speed up the process and see sonme significant improvement in replenishing the soil. I need to fill in one more piece of the puzzle and this is going to be interesting try9ng to find all the players and see if the weather will hold up and if the Ford will get the the new front spindle and bearing and the massive leakage from the main hydro pump and rear end can be solve and r4epairtred soon. Maybe a little bird will fly uop and magiccally it will all be better. Funny that bird has been at it for nearly a half yeart and nothing is getting better gee eee it actually doesn't look as good. I'm looking for a contact number for a big exacvator in the Buriram Surin Cambodia border area (Prachon Chai/Prasad). This will be for right after Songkran (stop l;aughing somebody will be sober at least three weeks after hopefully). Thanks