Rama IV Sinkhole Is Not Threat To Bangkok's Subway: Thai Official

webfact

Rama IV sinkhole is not threat to subway, official says

Thanatpong Khongsai,

Worapan Sujkaew

The Nation

30178254-01_big.jpg

The gaping hole was temporarily repaired with asphalt.

BANGKOK: -- The sinkhole on Rama IV Road, possibly the result of sand seepage through an old tunnel, will have no effect on the subway service in the area and its real cause should be known within two weeks, Deputy Bangkok City Clerk Jumpol Samphaopol said yesterday.

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA)'s Public Works Department will check the rest of the tunnel under Rama IV Road as well as Henri Dunant Road and Sena Niwes Road, while conducting an ultrasound check of all BMA roads.

The sinkhole, which was five metres in diameter, or two lanes across, and about 2 metres deep, opened up at the Rama IV intersection at 7.45pm on Sunday. By 5am yesterday, the BMA had filled the hole and paved the road with asphalt before reopening it to traffic.

Although the sinkhole was near a subway station and waterworks tunnel, Metropolitan Water Authority (MWA) and MRTA officials initially checked and couldn't find any flaw or damage to either system, Jumpol said.

The Mass Rapid Transit Authority of Thailand (MRT) said in a press statement the sinkhole had no effect on the subway station at Lumpini Park because the station was about 20m underground.

Following a meeting yesterday with MRT and other agencies, Jumpol said the sinkhole resulted from the seeping of 40-50 cubic metres of sand from underneath the road, which had been used heavily for a long time. He said the sand might have seeped through a nearby drainage tunnel under the Rama IV Road, as the tunnel, built in 1972, had been in service for 40 years without any maintenance.

Jumpol said the oval-shaped 3m x 3.5m tunnel was used to drain water at 220 cubic metres per second. The BMA would check if seepage occurred at the front of the tunnel. If it had, the tunnel might be shut down for repairs, he said.

Besides the tunnel under Rama IV, Jumpol said the BMA would also check two similar tunnels under Henri Dunant Road and Sena Nikhom Road. The BMA drainage office would study and hire a consultant company to prepare for the major repair of these three old tunnels, he said.

Retrospect checking found two similar incidents occurred in 1972 and 1979, and the BMA has urged Pathumwan and Sathorn districts to examine roads for any sinkholes and report back to the BMA urgently, he added.

BMA Deputy Bangkok Governor Thirachon Manomaipibul said the BMA's Public Works Department was instructed to survey all BMA roads to check for possible sinkholes, using ultrasound equipment.

Thirachon said the BMA had found 20 risky spots along the Rama III road to Chong Nonsi Road during the construction of the Bus Rapid Transit system where soil had seeped to the side into a roadside canal. They had already been repaired.

He said road sinkholes could occur because of the city's expansion with building, subway and pipe-laying construction.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-03-20

The BMA are going to have a few busy months ahead of them....inspecting hotels for dodgey fire fighting systems and looking for sinkholes with Ultrasound no less (actually its ground penetrating radar, they would need to use, but as we know the nation doesnt get it right report facts

Retrospect checking found two similar incidents occurred in 1972 and 1979, and the BMA has urged Pathumwan and Sathorn districts to examine roads for any sinkholes and report back to the BMA urgently, he added.

Well, looking forward to hearing about that report in 2050.rolleyes.gif

Scary isn't it? "The sinkhole on Rama IV Road, possibly the result of sand seepage through an old tunnel, will have no effect on the subway service in the area and its real cause should be known within two weeks"

So they don't know the cause yet, but confirm it was have no effect on the subway below it.

"The sinkhole, which was five metres in diameter, or two lanes across, and about 2 metres deep" will have no effect because "the subway station at Lumpini Park because the station was about 20m underground."

The ground above had only been compressed, and station is 20m underground.

But what's really scary is "By 5am yesterday, the BMA had filled the hole and paved the road with asphalt before reopening it to traffic"....

They don't know the cause, but decided to fill it in anyway. Ah! Well. If you can't see it it ain't no problem I guess... ohmy.png

I don't think I'll be driving down there for quite some time.

-mel

Edited by MEL1
  • Like 2

At the side of my house, in the concrete hard standing is a small 5cm diameter hole, it is a convenient outlet for rain water. Once out of curiosity I ran a hose pipe into it to see how much water it could hold, after 30 minutes I got bored and turned off the tap. During the floods this same hole became a spring, water flowed out of it. I can only assume that part of my house is sitting on a large cavity in the ground. :D

Scary isn't it? "The sinkhole on Rama IV Road, possibly the result of sand seepage through an old tunnel, will have no effect on the subway service in the area and its real cause should be known within two weeks"

So they don't know the cause yet, but confirm it was have no effect on the subway below it.

"The sinkhole, which was five metres in diameter, or two lanes across, and about 2 metres deep" will have no effect because "the subway station at Lumpini Park because the station was about 20m underground."

The ground above had only been compressed, and station is 20m underground.

But what's really scary is "By 5am yesterday, the BMA had filled the hole and paved the road with asphalt before reopening it to traffic"....

They don't know the cause, but decided to fill it in anyway. Ah! Well. If you can't see it it ain't no problem I guess... ohmy.png

I don't think I'll be driving down there for quite some time.

-mel

Dito, my thoughts exactly. This will come back to bite them.

The result of the Puea Thaksin government's mismanagement of last year's floods? Thaksin thinks, Thailand sinks ...

What is it with you kindergarten kids? Was Rama IV under water last year? What on Earth has Thaksin got to do with it? Can't we have just one thread without the Devil Incarnate being blamed for everything?

At the side of my house, in the concrete hard standing is a small 5cm diameter hole, it is a convenient outlet for rain water. Once out of curiosity I ran a hose pipe into it to see how much water it could hold, after 30 minutes I got bored and turned off the tap. During the floods this same hole became a spring, water flowed out of it. I can only assume that part of my house is sitting on a large cavity in the ground. biggrin.png

You`ve got a sure fire busines opportunity here - bottle it and sell it as Klong Spring.

A tunnel 40 years in service without maintenance???!!! Wow!

Hardly surprising, maintaining things is not a priority here...seen the overall condition of roads, buildings etc. They wait until something breaks and sinks (eg road) and quickly patch it or cover over it. What you can't see won't hurt you...right?

By 5am yesterday, the BMA had filled the hole and paved the road with asphalt before reopening it to traffic.

It's China's problem now. (or whichever country that is at the other end of the hole).

rolleyes.gif

I think that would be Indiana, but I may be wrong. :-)

At the side of my house, in the concrete hard standing is a small 5cm diameter hole, it is a convenient outlet for rain water. Once out of curiosity I ran a hose pipe into it to see how much water it could hold, after 30 minutes I got bored and turned off the tap. During the floods this same hole became a spring, water flowed out of it. I can only assume that part of my house is sitting on a large cavity in the ground. biggrin.png

You`ve got a sure fire busines opportunity here - bottle it and sell it as Klong Spring.

But it is only a spring when it floods. Still they are pretty reliable:D

The sand plate under Bangkok is on average 27-meter below the surface.

Skytrain and the Belfinger- Berger elevated Chonbury Road just to name two, these pilings stand on the sand plate. That system is Bore Piling which initially was brought to Thailand by Bauer from Germany. One of the first jobs Bauer did was Thai Ping Tower Soi Ekamai. One of their last jobs was Central City Bangna N-S-E Towers and Mall. Now local companies like Monkey see, Monkey do are in the Bore Piling business they bought the machinery from Bauer and Belfinger-Berger when they completed their contract and went back to Germany.

Building in BKK to 11-stories is on piles driven into the ground with a Pile Driver. This system relies on the friction between the pile and the soil and the soil compacted in front of the pile as it is driven into the ground to keep the pile in place. As proven in Holland for centuries if you drive enough piles of the correct lent is does work. Except in the case in Amsterdam Oost (East) were a contractor when WW I was finished tried to make money by driving piles that were too short, by the thirties all these building started to list in all directions of the compass. After WW II was finished all these building were pulled down, I mean whole neighborhoods, not just one or two buildings.

More than 11-stories must be build on Bore Piling which goes all the way down to the sand plate in BKK ±27-meter.

The BKK Subway system lies on the sand plate.

• Like 2

The result of the Puea Thaksin government's mismanagement of last year's floods? Thaksin thinks, Thailand sinks ...

What is it with you kindergarten kids? Was Rama IV under water last year? What on Earth has Thaksin got to do with it? Can't we have just one thread without the Devil Incarnate being blamed for everything?

Well Said! (You Got It Right!! Kindergarten Kids!!!

Isn,t it amazing? I click onto this forum every day to keep up with the news in Thailand and find that most of the time the news is interesting and a good read, and then some news topics are old hat and not so interesting, but whenever you scroll down to see the response of the so called experts, all you seem to see in 99.9% of all topics are the extremely never ending sarcastic comments from members who are obviously bored, think they are funny or just plain hate being in Thailand!! What is it with you guys?? this Forum obviously has many many genuine members who like to read interesting news.................................But!!

There always seems to be the Wingeing, negatative whackjob!! who has nothing better to do that find someway to pick the crap out of the topic mentioned, Guys do you get a hard on from doing this or something? does it give you great pleasure to continually run down Thai People in General? or maybe you are suffering from insecurity, had a hard life or somebody just stole your dummy?

Get a life guys!! This is the best Thai forum and I am proud to be a member, so you people who cant say anything nice about something........................Go and Join TEAK DOOR) That is where all the Wingeing Whack Jobs belong......................Go On! join them, YOU WILL feel completely at home................ or <deleted>!!

Edited by jonesy2648

Well Said! (You Got It Right!! Kindergarten Kids!!!

Isn,t it amazing? I click onto this forum every day to keep up with the news in Thailand and find that most of the time the news is interesting and a good read, and then some news topics are old hat and not so interesting, but whenever you scroll down to see the response of the so called experts, all you seem to see in 99.9% of all topics are the extremely never ending sarcastic comments from members who are obviously bored, think they are funny or just plain hate being in Thailand!! What is it with you guys?? this Forum obviously has many many genuine members who like to read interesting news.................................But!!

There always seems to be the Wingeing, negatative whackjob!! who has nothing better to do that find someway to pick the crap out of the topic mentioned, Guys do you get a hard on from doing this or something? does it give you great pleasure to continually run down Thai People in General? or maybe you are suffering from insecurity, had a hard life or somebody just stole your dummy?

Get a life guys!! This is the best Thai forum and I am proud to be a member, so you people who cant say anything nice about something........................Go and Join TEAK DOOR) That is where all the Wingeing Whack Jobs belong......................Go On! join them, YOU WILL feel completely at home................ or <deleted>!!

Feeling better now after your little rant ?.....based on the above sure your not a founding member of Teak door ? Further what assurances can you give to the honourable members of TV that you are not one of the Whinging whack jobs you mention ?

One day you will be head of the house-holed.

• Like 1

Bangkok Sinkhole Blamed on Substandard Construction

BANGKOK: -- A deputy Bangkok governor notes the sinkhole found on Rama IV Road on Sunday could be from substandard construction of the road.

Staff from the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration, or BMA's Drainage and Sewerage Department operated a ground penetrating radar, or GPR, at the section of Rama IV Road under the Thai-Belgian Bridge, where a 2.5 meter-deep and five meter wide sinkhole occurred on Sunday, all the way to Chonglom Temple to scan for more possible cavities under the road.

Deputy Bangkok Governor Theerachon Manomaipiboon said the examination found no irregularities beneath the road and the GPR did not detect any additional underground cavities.

However, Theerachon noted the section where the sinkhole emerged was not built with steel-reinforced concrete, which is not in compliance with construction standards.

He said the BMA will assign its Public Works Department to find out which company was employed for the section's last repairs in 2003 and the firm will be blacklisted.

Theerachon stated the BMA will ask the Engineering Institute of Thailand to examine the cause of the sinkhole which should take around two weeks to complete.

The deputy governor said all 50 district offices have been instructed to strictly adhere to the 2007 guidebook on infrastructure construction.

He said related agencies will meet on March 28 to discuss the safety of buildings in Bangkok.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2012-03-21

footer_n.gif