Recommendation Rajavej Hospital

happyme

I have just had hip replacement sugary went in on Sunday out on Wednesday

the surgeon Dr chanakarn was 1st class and the service was great

I have had more pain with dentist 1st spinal block then put to sleep recommend this way

As in all hospitals the food was not so good and the bed hard but after saying that a 1st class Job

smiles all the way

The problem with defamation laws is you can have a positive post like this, but if someone has something bad to say about the place...

All I'll say is that I used to recommend this hospital, but now I prefer Suan Dok.

• Like 2

The problem with defamation laws is you can have a positive post like this, but if someone has something bad to say about the place...

All I'll say is that I used to recommend this hospital, but now I prefer Suan Dok.

I agree except Rajitvej hospital far less waiting and red tape. So I would use it for most treatment but for something very serious I would use Dundork. Bith are good

Good experience here too, but need to jump through the usual hoops to avoid two tiered pricing. Even when the patient is Thai but happens to have a Farang dad/last name. :/

Applies to most hospitals though.

What are the specifics to "the usual hoops" to avoid two tiered pricing"? Moving to Chiang Mai very soon and want to know what to do to avoid inflated prices at hospitals/doctors office.

Thanks!

Good experience here too, but need to jump through the usual hoops to avoid two tiered pricing. Even when the patient is Thai but happens to have a Farang dad/last name. :/

What are the specifics to "the usual hoops" to avoid two tiered pricing"? Moving to Chiang Mai very soon and want to know what to do to avoid inflated prices at hospitals/doctors office.

Thanks!

The main thing is to discuss cost *prior* to being admitted, and stay on top of costs all the time. Usually the only cost-related thing they discuss is the type of the room, which is usually really low. A nice private room with TV, internet, kitchenette and so on isn't significantly more than what a hotel room would cost. But hospitals are great at prescribing the most expensive imported medication (higher margin for them) and some of the services (nursing fees, etc.) may have a two tiered structure.

Usually cost isn't mentioned until checking out, when you get several pages of itemized bills for everything. By then it's rather late to challenge the type of medication, though not too late to challenge other things so you want to take an hour and go through that bill in deep detail.

But better yet is to discuss costs prior to and during treatment, and just request local fees. (Say you live here, you're not a tourist, you don't have fancy international insurance, so cost is an issue. ) It's mostly in the communication about fees.

Also for out-patient treatments we typically don't let the doctor prescribe medications that can be purchased much cheaper over the counter at any pharmacy. Also, we have insurance of the type that only covers expenses when you have to get admitted, not out-patient treatment. This is a little skewed as everyone benefits from being admitted: hospital makes more money, and we get to claim it all with the insurance.

And for myself I'm on Thai social insurance, which means getting bags and bags full of medications for free. :/ I'm still amazed at speed with which they do (sometimes very advanced) test including X-rays, MRI brain scans, thorough blood tests and prescribe medications, it's all free. (Requires being employed in Thailand of course)

Thanks!

Try the Ram hospital. I have been to the ones in Loei and Khon Kaen. Have had excellent doctors and never any price increases because I am farang. The last time in I was medicated for 1 month for 2 conditions. With lab work, hospital and doctor fees the bill was 2000 Baht.

Thanks!

Try the Ram hospital. I have been to the ones in Loei and Khon Kaen. Have had excellent doctors and never any price increases because I am farang. The last time in I was medicated for 1 month for 2 conditions. With lab work, hospital and doctor fees the bill was 2000 Baht.

You can't use the toilet at the Ram Hospital in C.M. for 2,000 THB.

Thanks!

You can't use the toilet at the Ram Hospital in C.M. for 2,000 THB.

Not arguing that it isn't expensive especially when purchasing medication or being admitted, but if I take a kid into Ram hospital to see a doctor and prescribe some medication I expect to spend about 700-800 baht.

But you have to be on top of costs *all* the time, it's really a drag. Especially when you usually have other stuff on your mind if a hospital visit is warranted. Two weeks ago got stuck with purchasing brand name Tamiflu, even though they must have had the generic GPO version stacked up sky-high. sad.png I only realized this later. (That was at Lanna though, but it's the same company)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

• 11 years later...
On 3/22/2012 at 1:39 AM, gypsyrodeo said:

Thanks!

-