Made My Own Bacon This Week...

Pseudolus

Because it has virtually no water in it its crisps up very nicely indeed. Delightful with a poached egg on top. Also, as there is nearly no fat in it, and the griddling took away most of the meat fat, it might be good with the deep fried soda bread.

I will be making more today for next week and might, if I can be bothered, photo the process :)

Edited by Pseudolus

seems to be - smelled like bacon. tastes like bacon. i left the lid off so the fridge helped with the drying out process of course. I saw one youtube where the buy used saltpetre as the first rub and he reckoned 4 hours was enough. I will compare tastes each morning over the next 5 days though; if it gets better by the end of next week I might change the plan a bit.

Interesting.

The brew forums have instructions for converting a cheap Makro freezer into a coolroom, might have some application in this case.

Saltpetre was used to keep the sex drive of convicts and soldiers low in times gone by, I'd stay away from that.

I have enough trouble as it is.

• Like 1

beauty, something for the mrs to try to make for me, beware her, when the pork truck comes past in the morning, 0620 everyday, followed by the vegie girls.

also the scotch eggs, another one for her to try, got the mincer, forward my dear, another step into farang food world.

What colour was it ? I was always told the saltpetre gave it the pink colour.

It's not as pink as store bought bacon and when it cooks it goes pinky grey prior to browning up nicely. This makes me think I need more time.

Salt gives the pink color.

Salpeter is a type of salt.

What kind of bacon did you create with that method?

I made Back bacon. Saltpetre is Potassium nitrate;not the same as table salt and often used as part of home made explosives hence why it can be hard to buy. The process would work with all cuts of pork though; the salt pulls all the water out of the pork basically and adds some saltiness. Give me 10 minutes I will document the cooking and post pics (after eating of course)

Saltpetre was used to keep the sex drive of convicts and soldiers low in times gone by, I'd stay away from that.

I have enough trouble as it is.

myth.

according to Snopes:

The Saltpeter Principle

Claim: Saltpeter is secreted in the food or drink of enlisted men.

http://www.snopes.com/military/saltpeter.asp

according to Wiki:

Pharmacology

Used in some toothpastes for sensitive teeth.[22] Recently, the use of potassium nitrate in toothpastes for treating sensitive teeth has increased and it may be an effective treatment.[23][24]

Used in some toothpastes to relieve asthma symptoms.[citation needed]

Used historically to treat asthma as well as arthritis.[citation needed]

Combats high blood pressure and was once used as a hypotensive.

Potassium nitrate was once thought to induce impotence, and is still falsely rumored to be in institutional food (such as military fare) as an anaphrodisiac; however, there is no scientific evidence for such properties.[25][26]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potassium_nitrate

according to The Straight Dope:

The official word is that potassium nitrate (KNO3), more commonly employed as an ingredient in gunpowder, has no therapeutic value as an anaphrodisiac, contrary to legend.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/740/does-saltpeter-suppress-male-ardor

Well done. Try a molasses and black pepper or honey and mustard cure for loin or back bacon. Really good.

I live out in the sticks in central Thailand.

Where can I get molasses from?

Honey; Maple syrup ... all suitable I would believe.

Excellent, i shall have a crack tomorrow - this could be life-changing.

It is - the real challenge is getting the right cut of pork. I am struggling to find a nice cut with some good fat and rind on it; still trying to live the dream.

Sorry to be picky but due to the lack of a nitrate, which is what cures the meat, you are only really eating salted pork.

Nitrates are used in the combat of bacteria. By destroying the bacteria the nitrates give the meat the pink colour. The cure can then be left for longer in a cool place, no fridge needed, and the " bacon" taste will be better.

The effects on heallth are not worth worrying about. The salt in the meat is more detrimantal. The nitrate should be added at about 2 gms per kilo of salt.

KNO3 is readily available as the Thai sausage vendors use it to keep their sausages free of bacteria.

Well done. Try a molasses and black pepper or honey and mustard cure for loin or back bacon. Really good.

I live out in the sticks in central Thailand.

Where can I get molasses from?

Honey; Maple syrup ... all suitable I would believe.

Honey is no problem, maple surple I can probably get at BigC or Makro but I suppose all the molasses goes into rum so I will just get it that way.

I do use nitrites with my bacon, although you don't have to. It's the salt that cures it, the nitrite means it keeps longer and gives it an added 'cured' flavour as well as the attractive pink colour.

To make it, its rubbed in a mix of curing salt, dark brown sugar and black pepper sealed in a bag and kept in the fridge for about 8 days, turning each day. Then its rinsed off under the tap, dried and left uncovered for 24 hours in the fridge. Then just slice and cook. Its not hard, but to make good bacon you need good pork and that can be tough here.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

I made a great roast pork and crackling the other day. Buy so

e belly pork( sam chan). Make a dry marinade of slat, black pepper and sugar( in parts in order of 8-2-1). Leave the pork out on the open for about 8 hours. Over night ideal. Don't worry about the temp. The salt will take care of it.

Roast in a hot oven over a tray of water. I didmine at 250oC. About an hour and a half for a 2 kilo piece. You should do a large piece as the family will love it.