Sending Money Australia - Thailand

Sorry if has been asked before...

Boyfriend needs me to sort something out on his behalf. Im in Thailand, he is Australia. He has a bank account in Aus and a paypal account. I have a bank account here as well as a Thai paypal account.

Does anyone know /have experience of the best and most cost effective method? I realise different banks have different charges, but just wondering if others have found paypal to be more swift and cost effect or even if there are any better methods out there.

I could do a lot of hunting around to compare of course (which i will likely do anyway), but knowing others experiences (hidden charges, delays etc) is always helpful.

Will post what i eventually go with and let you know if any issues.

Thank you.

eek, if it's just a small amount then the handling charge is most important.

But if it's into the thousands of dollars (and I'm not asking) then really have a close look at the exchange rate being offered.

I'm an Aussie and I nearly died when I say what the Commonwealth Bank offered as their rate.

All common sense I know ... just trying to help.

I use XE Trade but they charge $25 a pop, but they rates, when you transfer a reasonable sum, make up for it.

Swift/TT from your Aust bank to your Thai bank. With Westpac to Kassikorn it is overnight.

The only important thing is to send Dollars and let the Thai bank convert it. Do not let the AU bank convert it to baht as the rate will be terrible.

Thai banks will generally give you a very good rate, if the amount is substantial you can generally negotiate it up a few points.

i find travelex visa cash card pretty good, ( Australia Post) just load it in Aus or via bpay and there it is, the charges are fairly minor, just withdraw a lump some instead of going back to the ATM for dribs and drabs all the time............

Bob

Western Union if its urgent. A normal TT/SWIFT transfer from his Aus bank account to your Thai bank account takes max 24-48 hours.

You will find in another thread here something new about Western Union.It is possible now to send monies to bank account in Thailand using WU.

Service fee is 25$? you will lose about 3% on exchange rate,which is not too much.(1Baht on 1$).

I tried last Wednesday to send WU to a TH bank account, it is not possible to do at Australia Post, at least that is what I was told and it cost me $35 just to send $230 over or if you prefer BHT1125 to send bht7400........

Bob

I tried last Wednesday to send WU to a TH bank account, it is not possible to do at Australia Post, at least that is what I was told and it cost me $35 just to send $230 over or if you prefer BHT1125 to send bht7400........

Bob

Yes you are right,it is expensive to use WU in normal WU way,high service fee and lousy exchange rate.

There is one exception:Singapore.

From there - to Thailand and other countries in Asia you would pay 12Sing$ service and good exchange rate.

If you do not believe - check on their website.Transfer to bank account is something new,which they introduce,

where they can.

For small amounts, just open a bank account in Oz with a debit card facility and post the card to the Thai(recipient). You will be up for the thai ATM fee and a small FX fee from your bank but it's easy and instant. Your B/F can deposit the cash over the bank counter and its immediatly in the account, he can sms you that is all go and you can hit the ATM. not good for more than 20K every so often but ideal for TX < 20K.

The way I have been doing transfers for a number of years is to TT the money in Aus $ to your account in Thai, usually takes 24 to 48 hours. It is converted at a lot better rate than you will get in Oz. I have an account with TMB Bank as they seem to consistently offer the best exchange rate and I have heard that Maquarrie Aus is actually a large shareholder in TMB.

I have also heard good reports on ausforex.com.au but have never used them.