Australian Rules Football For The Aussies In Thai

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What a day for upsets. Brisbane beat Essendon, Collingwood beat Geelong and Fremantle draw with the Swans after being down by 21 points in the 4th Quarter. Fremantle had more scoring shots then the Swans.

Even worse Rip. Swans were ahead by 27 points at the 11 minute mark of the 4th Q.

I dont want to have to mention Sam Reid again....but I must..You can see from his stats he took a lot of marks, but most were defensive marks. His disposal was poor at times, near the end of the game leading directly to a goal for Freo. he really has to kick some goals if Sydney is to win. I mean he is a forward and with Tippet out we dont have many.

Still more games to go this round so maybe some more upsets on the card.

What a day for upsets. Brisbane beat Essendon, Collingwood beat Geelong and Fremantle draw with the Swans after being down by 21 points in the 4th Quarter. Fremantle had more scoring shots then the Swans.

Even worse Rip. Swans were ahead by 27 points at the 11 minute mark of the 4th Q.

I dont want to have to mention Sam Reid again....but I must..You can see from his stats he took a lot of marks, but most were defensive marks. His disposal was poor at times, near the end of the game leading directly to a goal for Freo. he really has to kick some goals if Sydney is to win. I mean he is a forward and with Tippet out we dont have many.

The saints/Adelaide game will be the next upset. The saints aren't GWS and they know Tom Lynch's strengths and weaknesses. Don't expect Lynch to have a big day.

The saints/Adelaide game will be the next upset. The saints aren't GWS and they know Tom Lynch's strengths and weaknesses. Don't expect Lynch to have a big day.

Saints have a good chance

Mine are

Swans

Geelong

West Coast

St Kilda

Richmond

Carlton

Hawthorn

Nth Melbourne

Fremantle

Being a Swans supporter I have to tip them. I think it will be hard for them.

Im not confident Rip, esp. after last week. Im not going to mention Sam Reid again...coffee1.gif

Mine are

Swans

Geelong

West Coast

St Kilda

Richmond

Carlton

Hawthorn

Nth Melbourne

Fremantle

Im not confident Rip, esp. after last week. Im not going to mention Sam Reid again...coffee1.gif

They should play him as a defender. Did you see his mark with 11 seconds to go in front of the Fremantle goal.

Mine are

Swans

Geelong

West Coast

St Kilda

Richmond

Carlton

Hawthorn

Nth Melbourne

Fremantle

They should play him as a defender. Did you see his mark with 11 seconds to go in front of the Fremantle goal.

I did yes. It was a terrific mark. He took a lot of marks against Freo, most in defence. Why he can take those marks under pressure in defence but not at the other end?

So Buddy Franklin is in the poop again. There are now calls for the club to suspend him.

Is he the new Brendan Favola? He may have to reduce his asking price and will another club be willing to take a gamble on him. Clubs like GWS are trying to build a base and may not take the gamble on him regardless of how good he is.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/hawthorn-champ-lance-franklin-forced-to-apologise-after-late-night-bar-behaviour/story-e6frf9jf-1226648737188

• Like 1

Mine are

Swans

Geelong

West Coast

St Kilda

Richmond

Carlton

Hawthorn

Nth Melbourne

Fremantle

I did yes. It was a terrific mark. He took a lot of marks against Freo, most in defence. Why he can take those marks under pressure in defence but not at the other end?

It's generally easier to take marks in defence because usually, no one is trying to spoil you.

In the forward line you generally have a player up your clacker trying to punch it away.

Not so in defence as the forwards are trying to mark it as well.

• Like 1

So Buddy Franklin is in the poop again. There are now calls for the club to suspend him.

Is he the new Brendan Favola? He may have to reduce his asking price and will another club be willing to take a gamble on him. Clubs like GWS are trying to build a base and may not take the gamble on him regardless of how good he is.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/hawthorn-champ-lance-franklin-forced-to-apologise-after-late-night-bar-behaviour/story-e6frf9jf-1226648737188

He is not doing himself any favours. I expect he is surrounded by yes men like so many of these top players are. I often wonder where their agents/managers are to properly counsel them.

Rugby league has a long line of top players behaving consistently poorly.

In the past they could get away with a lot more than they can now. Now everyone has access to smartphones, camera, video, twitter, facebook.

Frankly I am surprised there is not more examples of drunken behaviour coming to light.

He is not doing himself any favours. I expect he is surrounded by yes men like so many of these top players are. I often wonder where their agents/managers are to properly counsel them.

In the past they could get away with a lot more than they can now. Now everyone has access to smartphones, camera, video, twitter, facebook.

Frankly I am surprised there is not more examples of drunken behaviour coming to light.

There is talk going around he moves with a group called the "Rat Pack" a collection of other high profile sports people (current and ex) who strut around the various exclusive clubs and nightspots. All who have at times stepped on thier own penis. (Cricketers, rugby players and former Olympians) The problem with some and it is a very small few, the money and fame goes to thier heads. He has been described as a cashed up bogan with hero status.

There is talk going around he moves with a group called the "Rat Pack" a collection of other high profile sports people (current and ex) who strut around the various exclusive clubs and nightspots. All who have at times stepped on thier own penis. (Cricketers, rugby players and former Olympians) The problem with some and it is a very small few, the money and fame goes to thier heads. He has been described as a cashed up bogan with hero status.

I saw that bogan quote. very apt really.

I have no problem with any player being a bogan or a complete prick (esp if they play for the Swans w00t.gif ). Doesn't mean i like them but if they are a good player I can appreciate their skills.

I don't think the majority of the AFL following public expects that AFL players need be intellectual giants or sophisticated men. It is the non-AFL following public that seems to think these are necessary attributes in football players.

Also, the actions some players take in drinking and gambling and cavorting with women and being generally offensive in their behavior that is common across society. it is hardly limited to football players.

It is that the players fail to realise that now they are playing in the big league, that they are getting very well paid, that everything they do is under the spotlight. Up until the very very recent past a nod and a wink by the sports journalist club and such behaviours were not reported. Now anyone can report/photo/comment/post about a player. It is only then that the media will follow up.

The mixture Fame, Money, Stupidity and Youth can be potent, sure and these guys do need to take responsibility for their own actions. But as I commented before, where are the people in these blokes inner circles who can tap them on the shoulder?

My tips for round 9

Sydney Swans

Geelong

West Coast

Saint Kilda

Brisbane

Essendon

Hawthorn

Adelaide (always Adelaide)

Fremantle

Be good to know what was said to Franklin that made him react. only one side of the story and full of tall poppy syndrome. Fair bit from her about what he said but i dont see anything else, except for the vitriole spewed in the paper by her - just an observation.

I saw that bogan quote. very apt really.

I have no problem with any player being a bogan or a complete prick (esp if they play for the Swans w00t.gif ). Doesn't mean i like them but if they are a good player I can appreciate their skills.

I don't think the majority of the AFL following public expects that AFL players need be intellectual giants or sophisticated men. It is the non-AFL following public that seems to think these are necessary attributes in football players.

Also, the actions some players take in drinking and gambling and cavorting with women and being generally offensive in their behavior that is common across society. it is hardly limited to football players.

It is that the players fail to realise that now they are playing in the big league, that they are getting very well paid, that everything they do is under the spotlight. Up until the very very recent past a nod and a wink by the sports journalist club and such behaviours were not reported. Now anyone can report/photo/comment/post about a player. It is only then that the media will follow up.

The mixture Fame, Money, Stupidity and Youth can be potent, sure and these guys do need to take responsibility for their own actions. But as I commented before, where are the people in these blokes inner circles who can tap them on the shoulder?

You would be surprised just how fast the media latch on. A few years back we were sitting off Optus Oval (Carltons Ground) in an unmarked car for drink drivers.

At about 10 p.m we pulled up a woman and it was Steve Kernahans wife and she blew over the limit. When we conducted a car check and logged logged the location on the radio, (protocol incase things go pearshaped) it came back registered to Steve. Our call sign being "Taffic 415" identifies that we were a Traffic Alcohol Unit (Booze Buses) and the media know this very well. Within 5 minutes our office contacted us stating that the media had already been onto media Liason wanting to know what was going on. While this was going on Steve pulls up apparently following the wife home and he blows over also (two for the price of one) Our office was just around the corner 5 minutes tops and by the time we got back with them there were photographers outside. When we got inside (backway) other members were run off thier feet with phone calls from the media, Carlton F.C and assistant commissioners.

I must say Steve was not a player at that time but a member of the Carlton board, he eventually blew under but his wife wasn't so lucky recived an on the spot fine and licence disqualified for 6 months.

• Like 1

That's a good story Chooka, and im sure you have a lot of them.

A related story to yours I can share...

My ex-wife was a journalist, and started her cadetship with NewsLimited in Sydney (later poached by Fairfax and completed internship there). She worked out of the offices in Holt street Surry Hills. Going back about 15+ years now.

The cadets got all the shit jobs and one they hated the most was monitoring the Police Scanner. Allegedly (i dont know for sure) it was illegal for News to monitor the Police scanner, but they did anyway. They had a small room where the monitoring took place with the worst shift being the overnight one. They had to know all the codes and It was easy to miss an initial call out. Sometimes the cadets fell asleep and missed the happenings. Sometimes they would cop an earful for notifying the News editor of a non event. The room was not meant to be left unattended.

News was often made or missed by a micro sleep, the need for a toilet break/food or coffee. laugh.png

That's a good story Chooka, and im sure you have a lot of them.

A related story to yours I can share...

My ex-wife was a journalist, and started her cadetship with NewsLimited in Sydney (later poached by Fairfax and completed internship there). She worked out of the offices in Holt street Surry Hills. Going back about 15+ years now.

The cadets got all the shit jobs and one they hated the most was monitoring the Police Scanner. Allegedly (i dont know for sure) it was illegal for News to monitor the Police scanner, but they did anyway. They had a small room where the monitoring took place with the worst shift being the overnight one. They had to know all the codes and It was easy to miss an initial call out. Sometimes the cadets fell asleep and missed the happenings. Sometimes they would cop an earful for notifying the News editor of a non event. The room was not meant to be left unattended.

News was often made or missed by a micro sleep, the need for a toilet break/food or coffee. laugh.png

Mate I have a thousand stories and could write a book, mansmile.png for some reason when involving AFL players most seem to be Carlton guess that is just the way the dice rolled. Fraser Brown, John (aka Pigs Arse) Elliot, Matthew Lappin (ex St Kilda), Sentana O'helpin, and then other teams Mal Michael (then Collingwood) Ricky Nixon (Hawthorn)

The media are actually allowed to monitor emergency services radio.

My tips for round 9

Sydney Swans

Geelong

West Coast

Saint Kilda

Brisbane

Essendon

Hawthorn

Fremantle

Be good to know what was said to Franklin that made him react. only one side of the story and full of tall poppy syndrome. Fair bit from her about what he said but i dont see anything else, except for the vitriole spewed in the paper by her - just an observation.

Yes ,I'd Like to hear more of his side of the story.He has apologised for his behaviour but defends his right to react under provocation.

My tips for round 9

Sydney Swans

Geelong

West Coast

Saint Kilda

Brisbane

Essendon

Hawthorn

Fremantle

Yes ,I'd Like to hear more of his side of the story.He has apologised for his behaviour but defends his right to react under provocation.

Id suggest alcohol was involved for both parties

My tips for round 9

Sydney Swans

Geelong

West Coast

Saint Kilda

Brisbane

Essendon

Hawthorn

Fremantle

Id suggest alcohol was involved for both parties

No doubt there was but I feel the comments by Neil Mitchell were very one sided and as so were uncalled for.He sounds like a real <deleted>.If Buddy had slapped her around then different story but I haven't seen any comment about that happening.