Australian Rules Football For The Aussies In Thai

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

First game of the season yesterday from swans and new club giants, can't say I'm suprised by the result though the giants gave some stick....Cornes and Macdonald put up a good show for there new club and it's about time some coach can see your not dead at 30

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Been following afl for a couple of years now, and have learned to appriciate the game. Just one thing I don't understand, how is the seasons games scheduled ? Saw one the the seasons early games, I think i was Essendon vs GWS and the commentators said something about Essendon had to continue scoring, as they were only to play GWS once this season, to get a good as possible "percentage", whereas some of the other expected top 8 or top 4 teams were going to meet GWS twice this season, giving them two chances to get the high percentage. Is the play-schedule rollling over more than one year, or what is the explanation ?

The scheduled is worked out over 3 seasons i think to get everybody to play each other twice..we play 22 games a season or possibly 24 now...the AFL have hacked away at everything last few years its hard to keep up with all the changes..anyway the 22 games a season was for the original 12 member teams of the old VFL who became the AFL with one club relocating to sydney who played each other twice...the AFL has now grown to 18 teams from all around the country but we still only play i think 22 home and away games per season with finals for the top 8 clubs to compete in.

The system has many critics even suggestions to have 2 conferences but by and large seems to work well...

The major turn off for me with AFL meddling has been the demise of defensive football, they have hacked away repeatedly with rule changes to curb professional free kicks being given away to slow down the opposition, now once a team gets a run on thats pretty much it...no longer uncommon to get blown out of the water with 80 to 100 point drubbings...only 10 ys ago a 60 point win was a thrashing..

Oh and you would have watch a channel 7 commentary, since your not aussie you would need to know they suck big time...they have had a monopoly on the coverage since tv games were first screened, channel 9 and 10 got the rights for the first time no so long back and did a great job, unfortunately that 7 mob out bid for the free to air TV rights and we got those morons covering it again.

To state that they needed to wip GWS for percentage etc shows you what a bunch of morons they are, totally unprofessional, i turn down the sound when i watch my club play and i dont bother to watch anyone else because there so bad at it.

Oh and you would have watch a channel 7 commentary, since your not aussie you would need to know they suck big time...they have had a monopoly on the coverage since tv games were first screened, channel 9 and 10 got the rights for the first time no so long back and did a great job, unfortunately that 7 mob out bid for the free to air TV rights and we got those morons covering it again.

To state that they needed to wip GWS for percentage etc shows you what a bunch of morons they are, totally unprofessional, i turn down the sound when i watch my club play and i dont bother to watch anyone else because there so bad at it.

Thanks for your reply. I'm a little wiser now. So because of the rolling schedule, two equally strong teams placing on the ladder can actually be decided by, if you are "lucky" in the present season to meet GWS and GCS twice, whereas the not so lucky team meets them only once ? I liked your comment about, me not being an aussie, so you had to explain to me, that the commentators are morons sad.png . Talking about commentators, do all retired players become "experts", when they have finished playing ? Ling, Kirk, Johnson this year. Must be expensive.

Thanks for your reply. I'm a little wiser now. So because of the rolling schedule, two equally strong teams placing on the ladder can actually be decided by, if you are "lucky" in the present season to meet GWS and GCS twice, whereas the not so lucky team meets them only once ? I liked your comment about, me not being an aussie, so you had to explain to me, that the commentators are morons sad.png . Talking about commentators, do all retired players become "experts", when they have finished playing ? Ling, Kirk, Johnson this year. Must be expensive.

Do not forget the recently retired coaches Roos and Malthouse

I don't agree with thecomment

Been following afl for a couple of years now, and have learned to appriciate the game. Just one thing I don't understand, how is the seasons games scheduled ? Saw one the the seasons early games, I think i was Essendon vs GWS and the commentators said something about Essendon had to continue scoring, as they were only to play GWS once this season, to get a good as possible "percentage", whereas some of the other expected top 8 or top 4 teams were going to meet GWS twice this season, giving them two chances to get the high percentage. Is the play-schedule rollling over more than one year, or what is the explanation ?

It couldn't have been Essendon vs GWS as that game wasn't played untill 26/05/2012.It could have been Gws vs West Coast Eagles on 15/04 2012.

I don't agree with the comment that has been reportedly made.I didn't hear it but it is a bit rough to label all channel 7 commentators as morons and totally unprofessional.Surely you couldn't say that of Dennis Commetti.The game that soi41 wsa refering to could have been GWS vs West Coast played on the 15th of april with a margin of 81 points in West Coasts favour.Essendon didn't play GWS untill the 26th of may and was a 66 point win for Essendon.

In my opinion channel 7 is bad at pretty much all football coverage it properly dates back to the monopoly they had untill recent years, C9 showed how they could do it better.

I see in this mornings Age online there is talk of sharing NRL and AFL between 7 and 9...hope it goes ahead.

And yes a few ex players become pro commentators ive noticed that with the NFL in the US too, we actually have some wise ex players and coaches who do a pretty good job but not to many Brearton stands out to me in the modern ones and even Newman from C9 has a very good grasp on football but not taken seriously as he is seen as a clown but if you had listen to the radio games he was involved with he knew what he was on about.

It might surprise you soi41 that out game down under is a mulit million dollar industry, players and staff are fully professionals, TV bid for tv rights every 5 ys clubs in every major city.

In soccer, Australia is rated around 21 in the world...and its only the 4th sport in AU behind AFL, NRL, and Cricket, if our AFL players were playing soccer im pretty dam sure we would be rated very much higher in the world, out elite sportsman play AFL and NRL.

Anyway dismal days for me, my long suffering football team is still in the doldrums...

It looks like Australian Network will not be showing the game live on Fridays. On the 15/06 they will be showing the game at 2000. Send them an email to complain

Where did you find out this information mate?

I think the coverage is only going to get worse.

Having said that, I would prefer a later start for

the Friday night games.

Regards

Will

They stated before the game started that from the 15th June they were changing the coverage of AFL telecasts and said to check their web site. On the web site for the 15/6 they have AFL starting at 2000. I checked Singapore for its time and it was showing 2100. I sent an email asking if this was going to be permanent. When I get a reply I will advise

Thanks for starting the thread, jinjinswing. There was an AFL thread in this forum, but last post was in August 2010. You'd think there'd be more interest. Perhaps people go to Big Footy or forums like that for chat about the game and one's own club.

Good luck with this thread. If there's enough interest, perhaps it could be a forum in its own right. Pity there are no AFL games played between late September and late March (not counting the experimental games - NAB Cup or whatever it's called now). It doesn't seem good business to shut your core activity down for half the year. In England there's only about a 10-week break.

Before sending off email complaints, perhaps we should wait for ripstanley

to receive an answer to see if it's only a one off.

Like I said before, I would actually prefer the 8 o'clock kick off.

Regards

Will

YES...DEELIGHT clap2.gif finaly...and the monkey is of there backs, and it couldnt have happened at a better time....if there is one team i just "HAVE" to beat its the bombers...sooooooo many times on a stinking frezzing afternoon at windy hill they pumped us, 17 years straight and i was there the on the 18th year when 10 min in 3rd q we turn around a 6 goal defisite to a 4 goal win,giggle.gif that was the sweetest win ever, and this one would rank hight too....wai.gif

Shock of the year Melbourne defeats Essendon by 6 points, Equal last beats equal first.

I didn't see the game but good for Melbourne. Essendon was 6.16, so not sure what happened there.

Geelong took until half time to wake up against GWS. 45 all at half time. They won easily in the end, as you would expect.

And for all the bagging we been coping in the press (thats Melbourne Demons) i can recall not so long ago the tigers were seen as a basket case too, 2 wins in a row talking down the saints last night...

I gather you are a Melbourne Demons fan. I support Sydney Swans. Who does everyone else support? Let us know.

And for all the bagging we been coping in the press (thats Melbourne Demons) i can recall not so long ago the tigers were seen as a basket case too, 2 wins in a row talking down the saints last night...

I gather you are a Melbourne Demons fan. I support Sydney Swans. Who does everyone else support? Let us know.

Lions.

Swans, same as you. Expecting a win this afternoon.