Switching Off

mikebell

This can be attributed to many things. #1 is make sure you have all the latest windows updates installed.

Insufficient power supply, error in your memory, or overheating are probably your main causes. Open up the PC and clean it, make sure you are running it in a cool room. If it still does this, remove each RAM/memory stick and use only 1 at a time. If it does this on all your sticks of RAM, then its probably not the issue. If it only does this on a certain stick of RAM, thats the problem.

If all else fails, its most likely a bad PSU (power supply unit). Take it to pantip and pay a couple thousand to have it replaced. I recommend Jedicool or Saveway Tech on the first floor. They are both very savy and friendly shops - a little more expensive as they deal in performance parts, but these are much more quality than what you'll find else where.

I timed it this morning; after ten minutes, the screensaver kicked in; after a further 20 it switched off and on again. It switches off quicker if there are no programs running like Spider Solitaire.

If it only happens when you leave it unattended and always at the same interval, it will almost certainly be a setting in the power options. I don't recall where you find the power settings in XP but they are probably in control panel.