Ravioli Mold (Mould)

NanaFoods

I was hoping someone can point me in the direction of a maker or importer of ravioli molds.

My 4½ y/o boy absolutely loves them...as do the wife and I (and we have plenty of pasta sauce on hand). I do have a home pasta roller and fluted pastry wheel, so I can make them by hand... but it gets a bit tedious after a while... and we seem to go through a lot.

Was hoping to find a mold to make things more convenient.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

It might look something like this:

moule_raviolis_carre_bombe_02.jpg

You could try to use one of those plastic tray used to make ice cube in a freezer compartment, who know it may work well!

Interesting suggestion, but I think the well would be too deep - and at least the ones I have do not have a ridge to roll-and-cut them with.

If you can't find one here there are plenty on ebay ("ravioli maker") if you fancy importing one yourself. Might cost a little bit more than buying one locally with the shipping costs but they're not too expensive and it sounds like it'd see some serious use.

If you can't find one here there are plenty on ebay ("ravioli maker") if you fancy importing one yourself. Might cost a little bit more than buying one locally with the shipping costs but they're not too expensive and it sounds like it'd see some serious use.

Well, if I can't find one here, it may have to be my birthday request from my mom.... but that's towards the end of the year.

Most of the big department stores (Central, Emporium etc) have them in the cooking section. I think Pantry Magic have them too.

I can confirm. PM had them when I was there last week.

Yes, Pantry Magic has them... a rep quoted me two types via email.

... a bit spendy (given they're aluminum) at around 900-1000 baht.

I'd prefer stainless, but at least I have a source to fall back on if I cannot find stainless.

Thanks again.

I think I saw them in Kluay Nam Thai too.

They're probably half the price than in PM, but it's whether you can be bothered to go to Rama 4 to save a couple of hundred baht.

Thanks again for the additional info.

Actually, I prefer not to go into Bangkok at all... if at all possible. I like that PM is willing to ship... but again, the price for their aluminum molds are about the same as would be for stainless back home.

So, I guess I just have to decide my course of action - trouble my mom (for stainless), or just buy here... or keep looking a bit more...

I certainly appreciate all your help.

I think I saw them in Kluay Nam Thai too.

They're probably half the price than in PM, but it's whether you can be bothered to go to Rama 4 to save a couple of hundred baht.

Thanks again for the additional info.

Actually, I prefer not to go into Bangkok at all... if at all possible. I like that PM is willing to ship... but again, the price for their aluminum molds are about the same as would be for stainless back home.

So, I guess I just have to decide my course of action - trouble my mom (for stainless), or just buy here... or keep looking a bit more...

I certainly appreciate all your help.

I was in PM yesterday and took a look at the molds, I often make pasta with my daughter and thought I'd copy your idea and get some for her to use, but I wasn't impressed with them at all - very thin and I don't think they'd last long.

I need to go to Kluay Nam Thai next week anyway so I'll take a look and see what they have and let you know.

• 3 weeks later...

I was in PM yesterday and took a look at the molds, I often make pasta with my daughter and thought I'd copy your idea and get some for her to use, but I wasn't impressed with them at all - very thin and I don't think they'd last long.

I need to go to Kluay Nam Thai next week anyway so I'll take a look and see what they have and let you know.

Hmmm... well that confirms it... I dont like aluminum to begin with, and if they're thin... that pretty much rules them out.

Been having cravings for Jeno's pizza rolls lately (nowadays re-branded as Totino's) ... a favorite snack food from back home. Haven't seen them around here. So, I hand-made some pizza rolls today... may sound irrelevant to the topic at first, but actually all they are is fried ravioli with a pizza-like stuffing. Came out rather nice... trick is to only add enough sauce to bind the other ingredients together, not too wet ("other ingredients" being mozz and whatever pizza toppings you like, finely chopped - the Italian sausage was fully cooked and crumbled). No need for semolina flour in the pasta dough either... just all-purpose. Rolled out the pasta dough to a number 5 on my pasta machine (I made much larger rolls than the store-bought kind - if smaller rolls, I might roll them to a 6). Deep fried them until dough is bubbly and brown. Yum!! My son, Enzo, loved 'em too.

Another use for the ravioli mold, If I ever find a suitable one.

• 6 months later...

Hmmm... well that confirms it... I dont like aluminum to begin with, and if they're thin... that pretty much rules them out.

Been having cravings for Jeno's pizza rolls lately (nowadays re-branded as Totino's) ... a favorite snack food from back home. Haven't seen them around here. So, I hand-made some pizza rolls today... may sound irrelevant to the topic at first, but actually all they are is fried ravioli with a pizza-like stuffing. Came out rather nice... trick is to only add enough sauce to bind the other ingredients together, not too wet ("other ingredients" being mozz and whatever pizza toppings you like, finely chopped - the Italian sausage was fully cooked and crumbled). No need for semolina flour in the pasta dough either... just all-purpose. Rolled out the pasta dough to a number 5 on my pasta machine (I made much larger rolls than the store-bought kind - if smaller rolls, I might roll them to a 6). Deep fried them until dough is bubbly and brown. Yum!! My son, Enzo, loved 'em too.

I have been bothering the Mgr at the main Villa about the pizza rolls for a couple years now. They were my everynight snack back home and sometimes my dinner!! I won't give up, I really would love to see them stocking them, and enough Americans to keep the supply going!

I have been bothering the Mgr at the main Villa about the pizza rolls for a couple years now. They were my everynight snack back home and sometimes my dinner!! I won't give up, I really would love to see them stocking them, and enough Americans to keep the supply going!

I am being told, I am the only one asking about the Totinos pizza rools Call main office and bitch, as I will also and even willing to buy caselots!

Totino's Pizza Rolls

Pepperoni 34.6 oz

Ingredients:

Tomato Puree (Water, Tomato Paste), Enriched Flour (Wheat Flour, Niacin, Ferrous Sulfate, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Pepperoni Pizza Topping (Pepperoni Made with Pork, Chicken and Beef [Pork, Mechanically Separated Chicken, Beef, Salt, Spice, Dextrose, Oleoresin of Paprika, Sodium Ascorbate, Garlic Powder, Sodium Nitrite, Lactic Acid Starter Culture, BHA and BHT and Citric Acid Added to Protect Flavor], Water, Soy Protein Isolate), Water, Mozzarella Cheese Substitute (Water, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Rennet Casein, Modified Corn Starch, Potato Starch, Sodium Aluminum Phosphate, Vital Wheat Gluten, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Citric Acid, Potassium Sorbate [Preservative], Sodium Phosphate, Sodium Citrate, Titanium Dioxide , Maltodextrin, Magnesium Oxide, Zinc Oxide, Vitamin A Palmitate, Riboflavin, Vitamin B12), Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Modified Corn Starch, Rehydrated Pasteurized Process Nonfat Mozzarella Cheese (Water, Nonfat Milk, Cheese Cultures, Salt, Enzymes, Citric Acid, Vitamin A Palmitate, Vitamin B6, Sodium Aluminum Phosphate, Sodium Citrate, Sodium Phosphate), Salt, Sugar, Defatted Soy Flour, Dried Whey, Dried Onion, Spice, Methylcellulose, Rehydrated Enzyme Modified Cheese (Water, Milk, Cheese Cultures, Salt, Enzymes), Natural Flavor.

Reference: http://www.shopwell.com/totinos-pizza-rolls-pepperoni/pizza/p/4280072148

They're using more "cheese substitute" than real cheese these days... and the list of chemicals amazes me.

Methylcellulose -- "Methyl cellulose does not occur naturally and is synthetically produced by heating cellulose with caustic solution (e.g. a solution of sodium hydroxide) and treating it with methyl chloride. In the substitution reaction that follows, the hydroxyl residues (-OH functional groups) are replaced by methoxide (-OCH3 groups)." -- wiki.

For me personally, I'd rather make my own now that I know how easy they are to make... a little labor, yes, but easy.

• 3 weeks later...

Totino's Pizza Rolls

Pepperoni 34.6 oz

Ingredients:

Tomato Puree (Water, Tomato Paste), Enriched Flour (Wheat Flour, Niacin, Ferrous Sulfate, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Pepperoni Pizza Topping (Pepperoni Made with Pork, Chicken and Beef [Pork, Mechanically Separated Chicken, Beef, Salt, Spice, Dextrose, Oleoresin of Paprika, Sodium Ascorbate, Garlic Powder, Sodium Nitrite, Lactic Acid Starter Culture, BHA and BHT and Citric Acid Added to Protect Flavor], Water, Soy Protein Isolate), Water, Mozzarella Cheese Substitute (Water, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Rennet Casein, Modified Corn Starch, Potato Starch, Sodium Aluminum Phosphate, Vital Wheat Gluten, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Citric Acid, Potassium Sorbate [Preservative], Sodium Phosphate, Sodium Citrate, Titanium Dioxide , Maltodextrin, Magnesium Oxide, Zinc Oxide, Vitamin A Palmitate, Riboflavin, Vitamin B12), Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Modified Corn Starch, Rehydrated Pasteurized Process Nonfat Mozzarella Cheese (Water, Nonfat Milk, Cheese Cultures, Salt, Enzymes, Citric Acid, Vitamin A Palmitate, Vitamin B6, Sodium Aluminum Phosphate, Sodium Citrate, Sodium Phosphate), Salt, Sugar, Defatted Soy Flour, Dried Whey, Dried Onion, Spice, Methylcellulose, Rehydrated Enzyme Modified Cheese (Water, Milk, Cheese Cultures, Salt, Enzymes), Natural Flavor.

Reference: http://www.shopwell.com/totinos-pizza-rolls-pepperoni/pizza/p/4280072148

They're using more "cheese substitute" than real cheese these days... and the list of chemicals amazes me.

Methylcellulose -- "Methyl cellulose does not occur naturally and is synthetically produced by heating cellulose with caustic solution (e.g. a solution of sodium hydroxide) and treating it with methyl chloride. In the substitution reaction that follows, the hydroxyl residues (-OH functional groups) are replaced by methoxide (-OCH3 groups)." -- wiki.

For me personally, I'd rather make my own now that I know how easy they are to make... a little labor, yes, but easy.

OK, make a bunch up and send me some, I will help you field test them! If they were made to be sold, I would be a loyal customer