How To Deal With My Thai Wife Getting Her New Thai Passport When Her 10 Year U.S. Tourist Visa Is In Her Old Passport

It is time for my wife to renew her Thai passport.

Her 10 year U.S. tourist visa is in her current passport.

I emailed the U.S. embassy and asked them how to go about it and got no response (no big surprise there).

Can someone (American) please assist me (from their own experience) as to the steps that I need to take to assure that the Thais don't in any way void the visa in her current passport when they issue her a new one.

Thanks, Southernman 3

I am not American, nor does my wife have a 10 yr visa, but I can tell you that when my wife renewed her Thai passport at Chiang Mai MoFA, she got her old one back. All they do is stamp the page facing the data page "cancelled". They stamp nothing else.

Edited by rawhod

She should make a point of informing the MoFA when she applies for her new passport that she has valid visas in her old passport. They will affix a stamp on inside front cover saying, basically, that "This passport has been cancelled and replaced by passport no. A123456 but all visas contained herein remain valid in accordance with the rules and regulations of the issuing country." Or words to that effect. The U.S. doesn't mind as long as she brings both old and new passports when arriving in the U.S. I don't believe there is a process for moving an existing U.S. tourist visa to a new passport - the only way to accomplish this is to apply again. Definitely not worth the hassle and expense.

The process takes about ten minutes and costs 100 baht.As stated before they stamp the first page in the old passport as canceleed and put the new stamp in the new passport. One sheet of paper for your wife to fill out a few details and sign and that's it finished.

The process takes about ten minutes and costs 100 baht.As stated before they stamp the first page in the old passport as canceleed and put the new stamp in the new passport. One sheet of paper for your wife to fill out a few details and sign and that's it finished.

Correction...1000Baht...

I had the same issue. The wife's old passport expired with still having 5 plus years of a US Visa. In our case, after I spoke with a USA embassy in the middle east and talked to friends, we just carried the old cancelled passport with the USA visa in it and presented both expired and new passports in Houston. No problems, passed right through. That was about 6 months ago. We had no MoFA stamps or anything I might add. I suggest you make that glorious enjoyable trip to what they call American Citizen Services(Yea I know the word service should not be used with the American Embassy-ha ha)and ask but in my real life experience no problems.

Edited by rotary

Correction...1000Baht...

Will scan and send you the receipt tomorrow. 100 baht.

The bc at the end of the name is the opposite of AD

Correction...1000Baht...

Will scan and send you the receipt tomorrow. 100 baht.

The bc at the end of the name is the opposite of AD

http://www.mfa.go.th...473.php?id=3167

now +40baht for postage (at MFA Chiang Mai)

Edited by rawhod

New passport 1000. Change of name stamp, ie peviously travelled under the name ------ with passpot No ------- etc, all visas in previous passport remain valid etc etc 100 baht.

Could you post the link to the MFA official information to this effect please.

I have found some information in Thai which seems to say that this could be done with a passport pre 2548 but not with the new e-passports, however the translation is not 100% clear.

My wife was only offered the option of a new passport for a change of name early this year. Her old passport was still valid for two years but she had not got any currently valid visas.

Not to change the subject - but is there a concern about going to US and immigration officials not letting the wife in? I had read that this was a very real concern. Are you guys married for a number of years? Does the wife have many trips to US? Sorry to hijack the threaad bu I had asked this question earlier and not had any response.

I am worried once we marry that her visa is effectively null and void. thanks

Not to change the subject - but is there a concern about going to US and immigration officials not letting the wife in? I had read that this was a very real concern. Are you guys married for a number of years? Does the wife have many trips to US? Sorry to hijack the threaad bu I had asked this question earlier and not had any response.

I am worried once we marry that her visa is effectively null and void. thanks

My wife, married now 6 years, I had to think about that, don't tell her, had the visa for business prior to our marriage, she worked for multi national in BKK. The visa is still valid and you will see on this and other threads on the same subjuct if you carry the old passport with the new one it should not be a problem.