Relaxed Area To Stay In Bkk?

greytown

Are there any areas of Bangkok that might qualify as somewhat quiet / pleasant / relaxed, that are relatively central (within walking distance to a sky train station)? I'm thinking of somewhere for a two month stay (monthly rate hotel) where there might be some vegetation (a few trees maybe?) and not completely immersed in concrete and traffic. Am I dreaming here? Thanks for any info.

Are there any areas of Bangkok that might qualify as somewhat quiet / pleasant / relaxed, that are relatively central (within walking distance to a sky train station)? I'm thinking of somewhere for a two month stay (monthly rate hotel) where there might be some vegetation (a few trees maybe?) and not completely immersed in concrete and traffic. Am I dreaming here? Thanks for any info.

If you are die hard about the skytrain I'd suggest near jatujak park (Chatuchak) or vicinity like saphan Kwai.

Honestly you'd be better off looking at the mrt stops off road sois in ratchada in residential areas ( between sutthisan and huay kwang, between pahon yothin and lad phrao) much cheaper, newer and you can be at queen sirikit park, lumpini park or jatujak within 20 min.

The Swissotel Nai Lert off Som Kid might fit the bill. Very quiet residential area next to a nice park with easy walking access to the BTS at Chidlom. I actually have a condo at the Address right next to it.

Boats - don't forget them.

Study the canal boat schedule.

There is a boat pier under BTS Saphan Taksin. From there boats leave in both directions regularly and cost almost nothing. 20 minutes either way there is a lot of mellow places (both sides of river)

• Like 1

Thanks, actually sky train proximity is not a must but easy public transport, BTS/MRT, etc to get around would be best.

If you are looking for something really green and relaxing there is an enclave /island off the klong toei pier (amongs all the freight boats) and with a 10 min boat ride you are in a very nice forestry area that I've been to for a boot camp and bike ride a few times. Not sure if they have bungalow but it is very nice and green. Prob right up your alley and klong toei is a mrt stop tho the pier isn't very close so taxi or walk is a must.

I think what the other posters are saying is that there are numerous quiet relaxing locations in central Bangkok. Every major road has dead-end sois running off them where you can find oases of calm.

Only problem is investigating these sois is you have to walk down them and back to see their true potential e.g try walking down Sukhumvit soi 10. You will reach a dirty wide klong. If you continue further through to the Tobacco Monoply gates you will walk past a park (lake, boating, walking track, cycling track etc) leading up to the Queen Surikit Centre. If you turn right at the klong you can walk along the elevated walkway/cycleway all the way to Lumphini park.

I am sure everybody has his own favourite quiet places.

Thanks, actually sky train proximity is not a must but easy public transport, BTS/MRT, etc to get around would be best.

If you are looking for something really green and relaxing there is an enclave /island off the klong toei pier (amongs all the freight boats) and with a 10 min boat ride you are in a very nice forestry area that I've been to for a boot camp and bike ride a few times. Not sure if they have bungalow but it is very nice and green. Prob right up your alley and klong toei is a mrt stop tho the pier isn't very close so taxi or walk is a must.

Bang Krachow (horrible spelling).

30bt 5 minute boat ride (passenger only - NO VEHICLES) from Khlong Toey port (Rama 4)

Definately Bangkok's "Lungs". Best option for wilderness in the centre of Bangkok, but it's a little Wild West over there and getting to and from can be tricky. To get a vehicle there from the same pier will take over an hour (Nearest bridge is in Papa Daeng)

Well worth a trip to if not to live full time

Well, I live just up the road from Central Lapro and within a 10 minute bike ride of not 1 but 3 parks, JJ park, Queen Sirikit park and The Train park, without these parks on my door step I would have become just another beered up falang living on Sukumvit in a condo costing 3 times the price mine cost me a long time ago.

I think what the other posters are saying is that there are numerous quiet relaxing locations in central Bangkok. Every major road has dead-end sois running off them where you can find oases of calm.

Only problem is investigating these sois is you have to walk down them and back to see their true potential e.g

Not any more. You can walk down them on google maps.

Really, there are loads of places that qualify. It's amazing how nice the place looks down some of these obscure sois. Personally, I'm best acquainted around Phra Khanong station.

Only problem is investigating these sois is you have to walk down them and back to see their true potential e.g

Not any more. You can walk down them on google maps.

Really, there are loads of places that qualify. It's amazing how nice the place looks down some of these obscure sois. Personally, I'm best acquainted around Phra Khanong station.

Yes, Street view is a great way to scout unknown locations, especially when you're sitting on the other side of the planet!

Best quiet area I stayed in so far was at Sathorn (approx. behind the Thai CC Tower).

Quiet, green, 5 mins walk from BTS Surasak.

I highly recommend Soi Rangnam, though!

No. While there are areas of Bangkok that still have natural landscapes within the neighborhoods, few are close to the CBD and very few within walking distance of MRT/BTS.

However many such spots close to the river ferry system, which IMO is a just as if not more pleasant transportation option, and you can connect to the BTS at Saphan Taksin.

I know a truly wonderful oases of nature within twenty minutes by B15 boat ride from a major farang ghetto area, but I'm not about to broadcast it on the Internet.

Just start riding the boats, get off and walk around you'll find some great places.

PS Wear plenty of Deet in the evenings.

Also stayed a Rama 3, near the Rama 9 bridge (opposite of the big Kasikorn Bank Building on the river). Apartment was called KM Riverside. There is a park near by and the BRT doesnt stop too far away!