18-Car Accident Kills Three And Injures 20 In Saraburi

webfact

18-car accident kills three and injures 20 in Saraburi

The Nation

30178916-01_big.jpg

SARABURI: -- An accident involving 18 cars on Mittaparb Road in Saraburi province on Wednesday killed three and injured some 20 others, police said.

The accident took place in front of TPI cement factory on the inbound road in Kaeng Khoi district at about 1.30pm.

According to police, the trailer of a speeding truck became loose from its coupling causing it to accidentally disconnect. The cars following were unable to stop and slammed into the trailer.

A total of 18 vehicles including pickups and minivans were involved in the tragic accident. Three were killed instantly while the 20 injured were sent to Kaeng Khoi and Saraburi Hospitals.

Police had to seal off the road to facilitate the transfer of the victims and the injured.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-03-28

Happens everywhere unfortunately. I've seen news of major pile ups in North America and Europe. Here and at home, if I leave enough space between me and the car in front of me to stop safely, three cars wedge their way into the gap.

• Like 2

"Happens everywhere unfortunately. I've seen news of major pile ups in North America and Europe."

Yes it does happen everywhere. A few weeks ago the horrific bus accident is Switzerland killed many children. According to the reports the driver was not speeding and had not been drinking. To be licensed there the bus would of had to been in good condition and professionally maintained. Yes it can happen anywhere but the Thais do nothing to curtail the carnage on Thai roads. Whereas the Swiss may have a terrible bus accident every few years the Thais have several a month. Then there is the commercial van accidents, a few each month. Then there are the "workers in the back of the pick-up" type accidents (there was one today that killed 12 I think). A few of these each month. In two weeks we have the carnage associated with Songkran. Nothing ever changes.

"Happens everywhere unfortunately. I've seen news of major pile ups in North America and Europe."

Yes it does happen everywhere. A few weeks ago the horrific bus accident is Switzerland killed many children. According to the reports the driver was not speeding and had not been drinking. To be licensed there the bus would of had to been in good condition and professionally maintained. Yes it can happen anywhere but the Thais do nothing to curtail the carnage on Thai roads. Whereas the Swiss may have a terrible bus accident every few years the Thais have several a month. Then there is the commercial van accidents, a few each month. Then there are the "workers in the back of the pick-up" type accidents (there was one today that killed 12 I think). A few of these each month. In two weeks we have the carnage associated with Songkran. Nothing ever changes.

similar to the Crash here in the UK a few months Back on the M5, they have even created the crash scene in a Hanger to determine the exact cause of the crash !,

will there be any serious investifgation into this crash? . doubt it

The trailer became disclonnected? Whilst driving here isnt the best what would any one else do when faced with a trailer running free?

1. Scream in terror.

2. Empty bladder and bowels.

3. Curse.

4. Watch life flash before one's eyes (if sufficient time).

5. Wish you had stayed at home.

In no particular order.

• Like 2

The cars following were unable to stop

It reminds me of the spots on the Chonburi motor way, where the signs say "2 spots between each car", but the drivers misunderstand and try and get 2 or more cars between each spot.

• Like 2

The photo of that mangled minibus reminds me why Ii don't like taking minibuses.

I agree and always hope my time is NOT up yet!

A few weeks ago on a minibus to BKK I noticed seatbelts, hooray!!! I tried desperately to get them undone and asked my wife to do the same. IMPOSSIBLE as they had been wrapped around the seat frame so they could not be used....

Once again it's condolences time.

This time to the families and friends of the dead in this tragic pile-up and best wishes to those lying in hospital clinging to life.

It will be cleared up, insurance claims filed, blame apportioned and hopefully as many as possible will recover from their injuries.

Stay tuned for the Songkran Parade.ermm.gif

Edited by ratcatcher

This is the result of crowding the roads with incredibly undisciplined drivers, minus any law enforcement. Tragic. I watched a man get hit by a truck yesterday on soi 101/1 in Bangkok. Very sad. RIP to all the most unfortunate and those who venture into the streets everyday: beware. Thailand's roads are EXTREMELY dangerous...though I'm sure a good few would love to point out that America and Vietnam are worse (factually wrong and factually right, by the way, in order).

The photo of that mangled minibus reminds me why Ii don't like taking minibuses.

I agree and always hope my time is NOT up yet!

A few weeks ago on a minibus to BKK I noticed seatbelts, hooray!!! I tried desperately to get them undone and asked my wife to do the same. IMPOSSIBLE as they had been wrapped around the seat frame so they could not be used....

The habit of immobilising the seat belts is bizarre. I wonder what the thought process behind that is?

The trailer becoming "disconnected" from the truck cab! of course the driver had no alerts or warning mechanism cautioning him to slow and stop before the actual disconnect. No inspection standards in Thailand. No news as to whether the driver saw the tragedy behind him and kept going or ran. We could assume the latter, if presumably, he was Thai.

I am starting to think now that its safer to go the most direct route using non highways. These Thai 110 km/h highways with 5 lanes are lethal.

Safer yes, but way slower driving behind e-tans at 20km per hour. :(

I guess I will go home where it is all perfect and no one ever gets killed in a wreck and everyone follows the law except for the drunks who get on the interstate going the wrong way. OO forgot about the road rage guy who takes shots at the driver going a bit slow. Nah think I will stay in Thailand much safer.

I was in an accident on Hwy 36 between Pattaya and Rayong about 3 weeks ago. 18 wheeler with a 40' container on the back came up to a line of cars stopped at a red light, at high speed, and had no brakes. Went down the right lane knocking all the cars over into the left lane and the cars on the left off the road. Fortunately for me the truck turned and went through the barricade and off the road just before hitting me directly. My car suffered about B200,000 of damage but I was fine. No one killed but that was just a matter of pure luck. One car rolled up under the trailer and went down the hill with the truck. The driver just had a broken leg. Of course, the dirver fled the scene.

The trucking company only had B600,000 worth of insurance. The official police estimate of the damage was about B10 million. Looking at the 10 cars involved, damage to the truck and to the highway I think that is probably a pretty good number.

Truck in poor mechanical condition, driving too fast. Helpless feeling nkowing that there was nothing you could do about it. Sitting still waiting for a light.

My point is not about Thai safety (or lack thereof compared to Western nations) and more about leaving safe space between vehicles at whatever speed you're travelling. I've seen it in Canada time and time again... driving too fast, too close together, in slippery road conditions. It just takes one person's tire to blow out or lack of attention and you have a 20 car pileup. That being said...there are typically no fatalities in those accidents because of vehicle standards, seat belt laws that are strictly enforced and other safety features in cars.

Keep in mind, we're in Thailand. They don't have the safety regulations or standards in place that we may be used to...and they don't seem to care. How many people will you see on a motorbike today without a helmet, despite it being 'law' (enforcement is a whole other issue). One of my Thai friends commented on how a girl she knows was riding side saddle, had a minor spill, cracked her melon and died. Then she proceeded to get on her bike, helmet hanging from the side of her bike and drove away. TIT.