Non-immigrant Type "o"

To obtain a long term extension of stay:

To obtain a long-term extension to that entry permit on the basis of supporting a Thai spouse, then what you need to do is open Thai bank account bearing your passport name, and remit into that account from overseas an amount of at least 400,000 baht - and do so each year.

Money overseas does not count. Money withdrawn via ATM does not count. All that counts (unless you have legal income from legal employment within Thailand ) is - exactly - documentation of 400,000 baht remitted from overseas into a Thai bank account bearing your passport name. In advance of applying for annual renewal of your extended entry permit, you will be required to wire another 400,000 baht to your Thai account. This process must be repeated for each extension of stay.

Can I deposit 400,000 baht in the bank for the purpose of obtaining a visa then once obtained, wire the money back to the US. Then simply repeat the process the next time I need a visa?

You can try. But be aware that your bank passbook will be examined and your bank may well get a call from immigration and your wife will be interviewed each year as to how you support her. The requirement is "support" and that is what needs to be proven.

....or take the money out and buy a condo in Patti,then sell it for 800k to a desperate farang who wants to move out there but get him to deposit the dosh in your UK bank account in £....and repeat process the following year.. :o ...its a bargain...

....or take the money out and buy a condo in Patti,then sell it for 800k to a desperate farang who wants to move out there but get him to deposit the dosh in your UK bank account in £....and repeat process the following year.. :o ...its a bargain...

Sorry, I thought this was a serious forum.

As my grandmother would have said, "there are many ways to skin a cat!"

So the trick is to have multiple bank/ bank accounts. Receive 400k into bank A, obtain visa. Move money to bank B & wire it back home. Then repeat next year?

Think you missed Lopburi's point,

Thai Immigration like to see activity on the account during the year..........not just the money being deposited and then moved to the US even if it is via a different Thai account.

In thier eyes they may think that you are working here in Thailand as it would appear you have no means of supporting your wife if the 400k is wired back out the country.

Hope that makes sense.

Edited by thaiflyer1

Sorry, I thought this was a serious forum.

It is a serious forum.

This is/was just an [/u] into a way some of my friends "do it",make some dosh and have a good life without scrimping and scraping around looking for loopholes.

To everyone ...his own.... :D

So the trick is to have multiple bank/ bank accounts. Receive 400k into bank A, obtain visa. Move money to bank B & wire it back home. Then repeat next year?

Think you missed Lopburi's point,

Thai Immigration like to see activity on the account during the year..........not just the money being deposited and then moved to the US even if it is via a different Thai account.

In thier eyes they may think that you are working here in Thailand as it would appear you have no means of supporting your wife if the 400k is wired back out the country.

Hope that makes sense.

Yes it does make sense. The thing is that my wife doesn't actually need my support as she has her own business interests that yield the sort of returns that will support the both of us. I wanted to leave my capital in the UK for a rainy day. Won't the imm. ppl. accept the fact that she is supporting me?

Sounds like a "B" visa might be better for you. You do not even need to go to the expense of setting up a business as it already exists. You then get your extension on the basis of business and do not need to show any money in the bank. But you will need to pay income tax of about 30,000 annually. On the other hand your wife's tax burden should be reduced by the same amount as her business will be showing your "salary" as an expense.

One of the experts here can give you more details.

To obtain a long-term extension to that entry permit on the basis of supporting a Thai spouse, then what you need to do is open Thai bank account bearing your passport name, and remit into that account from overseas an amount of at least 400,000 baht - and do so each year.

Money overseas does not count. Money withdrawn via ATM does not count. All that counts (unless you have legal income from legal employment within Thailand ) is - exactly - documentation of 400,000 baht remitted from overseas into a Thai bank account bearing your passport name. In advance of applying for annual renewal of your extended entry permit, you will be required to wire another 400,000 baht to your Thai account. This process must be repeated for each extension of stay.

Can I deposit 400,000 baht in the bank for the purpose of obtaining a visa then once obtained, wire the money back to the US. Then simply repeat the process the next time I need a visa?

Is it really a demand to transfer 400,000 baht every year ?

Example: if I only spend 250,000 baht per year, because I live in the countryside, don´t smoke and drink etc. I thought, I just needed to transfer that 250,000 baht once a year to meet the demand of having 400,000 baht in the bank.

Would that be acceptable to immigration ?

North

That should be acceptable to immigration.  The question might be the wife? :o

Oh, she has a good job and don´t really need my support.

Maybe I can ask one more question here related to non "O" visa:

I am 52 years and plan to move to Thailand within 2-3 months, I am married to a thai national.

Can I freely select, which visa I want to apply for: non imm. "O" or non imm. "OA" , as long as I meet the demands about money deposit etc. ?

North.

Yes. The advantage of the O-A or (for retirement O if done in Thailand) is that you obtain extension stamp immediately and wife does not have to attend.

So you can obtain O-A in your home country. Or obtain O for a visa and extend for either support Thai wife or retirement when inside Thailand.

an O-A visa is specifically for retirement.

I think I should have explained better before :o

I am actually retiring, and since I am 52, I think I can have this non imm. "OA"

But the question is, will immigration tell me, that because I am more than 50 years old, I cannot select the "O" visa for supporting my wife, only the "OA" retirement visa ??

I would prefer the "O" type visa, then I only need to have the 400,000 baht in the bank.

North.

It took me a few minutes to type my last post, so I did not see the last answer from Lopburi3.

I think I understand it now, and maybe I would consider the non imm. "OA" anyway, since it seems to be an easier way to get the visa.

Thanks, Lopburi3 and Dr. Pat_Pong

North

Should not be a problem.

You do not obtain either type of visa from immigration. If you want the O-A you obtain in your home country before you ever come here from a Consulate and the purpose would be for retirement and the requirement would be 800K.

All you want from overseas is a one entry non immigrant O visa to visit family and after you are here in Thailand for 2 months make a visit to immigration with your wife and the required documents to obtain an extension of stay for support Thai wife. They could ask you if you would prefer to have the reason for extension to be retirement but in either case it is an extension of the O visa and not O-A. It will be your call.

I really don’t have time for Thai visa because I have a

child now but this topic I really want to put a few sentences!

First of all;

Imm doesn’t care about you!

Keep the 400.000 in Thai bank for six weeks.

When you visit Imm they do not asking you about the past money.

After this period it’s up to us what we do with the money.

Imm doesn’t care about the history.

We can transfer the money everywhere, no problem.

As long as we can prove that we have 400.000 in Thai bank next extension

we will have the extension of stay.

Believe me; I have 3 year extension of stay based on married to Thai.

They have never ever asked me about the money and the history. :o

First of all;

Be very careful. You may well come undone.

First of all;

Be very careful. You may well come undone.

dr_Pat_Pong, I believe you are an Imm officer and don’t care!

....or take the money out and buy a condo in Patti,then sell it for 800k to a desperate farang who wants to move out there but get him to deposit the dosh in your UK bank account in £....and repeat process the following year.. :D ...its a bargain...

:D Have you seen how many Condos are on the market in Pattaya and how long they remain on the market? That would be a very brave move.

Propert especially condos are neither a good investment nor are they easy to resell. Only my humble opinion of course. :o