Lawyer Services For Buying Property

3stan

Hi,

We (my thai wife and I) are about to buy property (house) here in Chiang Mai. I would like to hire a lawyer to make sure that all the documents are 'legit' etc and to supervise the transaction. Any recommendation? 

I dont know the policy regarding such query on this forum. Maybe better to pm me. Also, please let me know if you know what are the fees (estimate) for such service. Thanks in advance.

Sumalee Jennapa <[email protected]>

She takes care of business. Highly recommended by many expats.

I used her services and she is professional. Will do do diligence if

you require but this may not be necessary if the title documents are in order.

Also did the Usufruct Agreement as part of the property purchase,

recommended.

She actually personally checked the property before I purchased to see

the deal. Seems to truly work for you and that is verified via recommendations, again

by some members of the expat community here that have used her services.

It will cost you 10K. Best of luck.

• Like 1

I can also vouch for Khun Sumalee. She has a very good reputation in the expat community for both property purchases as well as business transactions.

You don't need a lawyer to buy a house. There is no Added Value.

There's nothing they do you can't do yourself, especially when you're married to a Thai.

The officials at the land-office will make sure all documents are legit.

They will explain any issue to you and/or your wife when needed.

Money transfer?

You buy a Cashier check in the seller's bank in with the seller's name on it, the only way to make a "registered" payment in Thailand.

Lawyers for buying property in Thailand is ONE BIG SCAM.

• Like 1

To say that using a lawyer has no added value is very cynical and assumes the lawyer is only in it for the money.

Given that buying a piece of property can be fraught with pitfalls and the documents and contracts are in a language that many foreigners are not competant in, the small cost of hiring a GOOD lawyer to assist you can be very valuable.

10,000 baht is a small price to pay for an extra set of eyes to avoid a big and longterm problem.

You certainly don't need a lawyer IF you can read and write Thai, have a working knowledge of Thai law, construction practices and contracts, have been in the area for decades and know many crooked practices and unsavory actors at a glance.

I am not a lawyer but I do know what I know and what I don't.

Caveat emptor.

Edited by Katmanpu