Thai Chicken Back On EU Import List

webfact

CHICKEN

Thai chicken back on EU import list

The Nation

The European Union will lift its marathon ban against fresh chicken imports from Thailand on July 1.

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's Agricultural Affairs Office in Belgium sent a letter to the Agriculture Ministry in Bangkok on Tuesday, saying the EU Standing Committee on the Food Chain and Animal Health reached a consensus to allow sales of Thai fresh chicken after eight years.

Sales were prohibited on January 23, 2004 due to the bird-flu outbreak.

However, Thai fresh chicken has to come under an export quota. The Commerce Ministry should prepare to manage exports under the EU restrictions, the Brussels office said.

The Thai Broiler Processing Exporters Association has reported that the country's chicken exports grew 6.31 per cent to 462,525 tonnes worth Bt62.15 billion, of which Japan accounted for 44.45 per cent and the EU for 42.84 per cent.

The trade association had predicted that exports would increase slightly by 3.78 per cent to 480,000 tonnes worth Bt64.11 billion this year.

Adirek Sripratak, president and CEO of Charoen Pokphand Foods, said the reopening of the EU market to Thai chicken, as a sign of confidence in Thai poultry products, would boost Thailand's exports not only to that market but also to other countries such as Japan.

Only Brazil can now access the EU market. Thailand will become the second country to ship fresh chicken meat to the region. However Thai exporters would have to focus most on quality as required by the EU.

"Although we haven't faced a bird-flu outbreak for years, we should not ignore being careful of other contamination factors and diseases," he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-04-05

I wait and see if they will actually follow the rules for export to the EU because Thai are known to be forgetfulness.

I really don't want my family to be sick from eating Thai chicken that isn't conform to the European standards of hygiene.

Thai chicks has always been an export item for the whole world.

And Thailand is famous for it.

Well done Thai famers, especially from Esan for producing quality Thai chicks.

The topic is chickens not chicks.cheesy.gif

I wait and see if they will actually follow the rules for export to the EU because Thai are known to be forgetfulness.

I really don't want my family to be sick from eating Thai chicken that isn't conform to the European standards of hygiene.

no one in Thailand gets sick from eating Thai chicken because you make it hot before heating.

But the the Thai production is cruel and uses a lot antibiotics. That is the real bad thing.

no one in Thailand gets sick from eating Thai chicken because you make it hot before heating.

But the the Thai production is cruel and uses a lot antibiotics. That is the real bad thing.

My wife's aunt and uncle worked at one of the large chicken farms at Chonburi. It was their job to give the chickens steriod shots. Twelve hour shift six days a week. He said they would stop with the shots about 20 days before they were slaughtered in order for the steriods to be undetected. Also he said there would be as high as 10,000 chickens per night die for various reasons. The street vendors from Bangkok would be waiting to buy the dead chickens for a few Baht. They would take them back and sell at their food stands. When he goes to Bangkok he will not eat chicken. Only the home grown ones from the local village.

And now price for chicken shall go up in Thailand ofcourse BTW witch hormones they use to give shots female or male? maybe that is the reason for so many Ladyboys around...!! lol

Edited by david555

Thai chicken will certainly meet the hygiene standards of Europe, as samples are always taken for a thorough check. But it will take a little longer until the EU will discover the amount of antibiotics, fed to the chicken. Wait and see.

Thai chicken will certainly meet the hygiene standards of Europe, as samples are always taken for a thorough check. But it will take a little longer until the EU will discover the amount of antibiotics, fed to the chicken. Wait and see.

My concern is about the labeling. Normally on exported products there should be put a label with where the chicken was farmed, how it was fed, etc.

Knowing that Asia lacks on those rules from time to time just to make sure they can export and earn money, that's what I'm fearing for.

And I refer to whole Asia.

I've see things around. Been to food factories in Thailand and when you see that they have products that are expired for 1-2 months already and solve the problem by relabeling it just to get it sold, then I'm asking how they manage to get all these certification as BRC, HACCP, GMP and so ever.

No doubt that Thai people are hygienic on themselves but are they also using hygienic methods for export?

You refer to the antibiotics. As you know, there's a small amount of antibiotics allowed in food for export to Europe. We have this in Belgium as well, but who can assure me that those numbers won't be falsified? If the Thailand's Agricultural Affairs Office in Belgium falsify those numbers or hide things, then we're back on the beginning

Imho it's the European standards of hygiene that are making people sick these days. The sterile environment that is European food control is disturbing the balance of nature - people are fast losing their immunity to common, everyday bugs & bacteria.
  • Like 1

My wife's aunt and uncle worked at one of the large chicken farms at Chonburi. It was their job to give the chickens steriod shots. Twelve hour shift six days a week. He said they would stop with the shots about 20 days before they were slaughtered in order for the steriods to be undetected. Also he said there would be as high as 10,000 chickens per night die for various reasons. The street vendors from Bangkok would be waiting to buy the dead chickens for a few Baht. They would take them back and sell at their food stands. When he goes to Bangkok he will not eat chicken. Only the home grown ones from the local village.

Dead chicks are feed to crocs, not human.

That does it..... now i stop eating Crock's lol

Think what you wish to think. These were sold to street vendors. Now they may have fed them to the crocs but I don't really think so.

Edited by pimay11

hope the EU puts a 187 to 328% luxery tax on those chicken they import and why ...

why kill the regional subsidised farmes and import goods that can be grown at home without the hormones in the meat ?

Imho it's the European standards of hygiene that are making people sick these days. The sterile environment that is European food control is disturbing the balance of nature - people are fast losing their immunity to common, everyday bugs & bacteria.

While you are right with that statement, the problem is:

Animals aren't farmed in farms anymore, they are produced in factories and people stick together in megacities.

If you go with "normal" hygiene that system would colaps with millions of deads.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

You can't export chicken from farmer.

Factory chicken are exported (from CP for example) and all get the same factory made food.

In total a handful of companies.

And now price for chicken shall go up in Thailand ofcourse BTW witch hormones they use to give shots female or male? maybe that is the reason for so many Ladyboys around...!! lol

Antibiotics are fed, that later after modified in the chickens body has similar effect as female hormones.

If you eat 3 times chicken per day men can develop breasts.....KFC Thailand was in trouble because of that.

(sorry I struggle writing these things in English...)

I believe that easily.....by selling it to the street vendors direct they bypass all the (anyway not existing) checks.

Most probably the sell it as "animal food".

Antibiotics are fed, that later after modified in the chickens body has similar effect as female hormones.

If you eat 3 times chicken per day men can develop breasts.....KFC Thailand was in trouble because of that.

(sorry I struggle writing these things in English...)

giggle.gifgiggle.gifgiggle.gifgiggle.gifgiggle.gif

This goes along with what I read in the book Fast Food Nation, which said that factory farm operations set up by corporations such as Tyson Foods have spread to Thailand. I've lived in the U.S., Japan (which imports Thai chicken) and Thailand so I've been stuck with the same rubbery, tasteless chicken in all three countries. Some of the chicken in Bali is amazingly good, being actual free range chicken.

This goes along with what I read in the book Fast Food Nation, which said that factory farm operations set up by corporations such as Tyson Foods have spread to Thailand. I've lived in the U.S., Japan (which imports Thai chicken) and Thailand so I've been stuck with the same rubbery, tasteless chicken in all three countries. Some of the chicken in Bali is amazingly good, being actual free range chicken.

CP is really big here, they are a really big corporation. That bird flu thing was used by these corporations to ban the sale of free range chicken.

It is not only free range

1) Special races that gain weight super fast (they would get sick in the free range)

2) Special food, mixed with Antibiotics to get big fast

3) small places so they can't move and burn energy

I ate nice chicken in Malaysia which didn't follow that chicken flu paranoia.....

Pork is of course a similar story.

Eating fish in Bangkok and in the South is also something complete different, but I don't know what they are doing with the fish.......

Last time I ate seafood (prawn, shrimps, squid fish etc.) in France and Germany I asked for the origin.

Vietnam, Bangladash, Kampuchea and ..... Burma (in France) was the answer.

I suppose seafood from Thailand is prohibited in Europe.

I have a Chicken farm here in Thailand, currently have 18,000 chickens. I have a contract with one of the major exporters.

Your statement is wrong, Thai chicken has been consistently exported to EU nations in the form of processed food, i.e chicken nuggets etc, this latest develpment is reintroducing whole fresh chicken to the EU nations, I would suggest that the levels of antbiotics found in processed thai chicken would have been monitored carefully before allowing the the import of fresh whole chicken, so I wouldn't worry to much.

But the the Thai production is cruel and uses a lot antibiotics.

The use of antibiotics is used to prevent disease, and typically is administered through drinking water at 7 days of age for a few hours to ensure that 90% of the flock are immunised, the rest of the growing cycle is as a rule just plain water, and if heat stressed an electrolyte is added to balance the levels in the blood.

It was their job to give the chickens steriod shots. Twelve hour shift six days a week. He said they would stop with the shots about 20 days before they were slaughtered in order for the steriods to be undetected. Also he said there would be as high as 10,000 chickens per night die for various reasons.

That is a practice that I have never heard of, nor doe's it make any sense, and incidentally mortality rates are typically around 2% per flock, which would suggest that you relatives were looking after 20 million chickens, sorry but they are telling porkies.

small places so they can't move and burn energy

You are kidding me ..right? Maybe you are mixing up egg layers with broilers ?

Edited by Monkeypants

Last time I ate seafood (prawn, shrimps, squid fish etc.) in France and Germany I asked for the origin.

Vietnam, Bangladash, Kampuchea and ..... Burma (in France) was the answer.

I suppose seafood from Thailand is prohibited in Europe.

Last time my mother bought prawns in Croatia they were "Made in Thailand"

So you are telling us that the chicken don't get any diseases, right? Because if one get sick you need to give antibiotics to all.

how many big is the place you hold the chicken? Maybe you have a photo?

(I wanted to quote "monkeypants" but it doesn't work)

So you are telling us that the chicken don't get any diseases, right? Because if one get sick you need to give antibiotics to all.

how many big is the place you hold the chicken? Maybe you have a photo?

(I wanted to quote "monkeypants" but it doesn't work)

No the reason to administer antibiotics is to prevent disease, otherwise if one got sick it could possibly infect the whole flock.

I have photo's , but lets put it this way, a Thai chicken farm has typically 10/12 birds per M2, at culling date, where as in Europe 20 birds per M2 is the norm. We have about 1500m2 90m x 17 m

Edited by Monkeypants

Untrue and fowl. Edited by FOODLOVER