Macbook Air - I5 Or I7 ?

richard_smith237

Ok, on the surface this seems like a silly question, however, I've always purchased my apple products directly.

I'd like to go for the 13" Macbook air and upgrade to the i7 chip.

I'm not sure how much extra value I'd get out of the i7 when compared to the i5, but is not an expensive upgrade so perhaps its worth it.

Now, my issue is:

1) Buy online, deliver to my condo. It says 3-4 days delivery - Is the delivery reliable ?

2) Order from iStudio - delivery takes 3-4 weeks !! WHAT ???

3) Find a shop where I can buy the Macbook Air 1.8 GHz i7 directly.

Before I decided to buy online, I'd like to know if the Macbook Air 1.8 GHz i7 is available to buy directly anywhere in Bangkok.

All the iStudio and iBeat shops I've been to only have the 1.7 GHz i5 available.

Anyone in the know where I can get a 'pre-pimped' 1.8 GHz i7 Version of the Macbook Air ???

custom orders need order online from apple. yes delivery time is accurate

i7 is better depends what u will do with it. macbook air's are let down by the weak graphics card.

My advice wait Macbook Pro/Air refresh in the next 6-7 weeks or sooner.

• Like 1

Almost no shops have "pre-pimped" Macs of any model available; if you want to pimp it somewhat, but direct from Apple.

As you say, for 3000-odd baht, it's not that expensive; I went the i7 with my MBP and although I have never done a direct comparison, I haven't regretted spending the little bit extra.

Thanks for the info...

My idea was to get the 13" Macbook air (and upgrade to i7). Then when the new macbook pro's are issued, get one of those - I'm reluctant to wait as with Apple the wait could be 8 months or more... I have only read of rumors of their release of a thinner MBP.

Can't get tax back at airport for online purchase.

You could however order from the education store online.

New MacBook pros are imminent with the new intel chips release and also the new Nvidia graphics options.

100% by end of June at latest.

My advice is wait.

• Like 1

Do these Macbooks/pro get hot?

My windows laptop never gets hot and can stay on my lap all day long.

Mine's been on my lap for the past 13 hours, and it's barely warm. But, then again, it depends on what you're doing with it - if the hard drive is spinning constantly, or you're doing to processor heavy work, it will get hot.

Edited by jamesbrock
  • Like 1

Can't get tax back at airport for online purchase. You could however order from the education store online. New MacBook pros are imminent with the new intel chips release and also the new Nvidia graphics options. 100% by end of June at latest. My advice is wait.

+1 Yep to all of that.

I am waiting for the new MBP as well... better be here soon. I expect April right after the Intel chips ship.

Bummer !!!... This is a tough decision, the it feels daft spending this much time deliberating over what really is not exactly a career choice !!!!

Based on the good advice given here I would wait until June, timing doesn't afford me this option.

My current MBP could last another 5 years, but - its making a few 'noises', the disk drive has gone, the battery needs replacing, its nearly 4 years old... I'll wipe it and give it to my nephews for their educational use.

I just took a look at the 'educational discount' its only about B2000 and I wont be taking that route, I'll buy directly from a shop (iBeat or iStudio - probably an i5 but hopefully an i7 if there is stock anywhere) and obtain a tax back from.

Thanks all for the advice....

Do these Macbooks/pro get hot?

My windows laptop never gets hot and can stay on my lap all day long.

I can't use mine on my lap it gets so hot. When mentioned to AppleCare they said yeah, it does run hot and isn't really supposed to be used as a 'laptop'.

Say what?? was my response.

Will be interesting to see if the replacement they have offered runs as hot.

Have an i7 mbp 2012, takes about 5 min to unrar a 7 gb archive, 35 min to transcode to dvd with handbrake, 50 second boot for virtualbox, about an hour to build the latest CM9 nightly from github.

If any of this is relavant to you then buy the upgrade, if not then go with the i5 and enjoy the beautiful machine.