Samsung 50Inch Plasma

maipompui

Ignore the previous comment above. LED is NOT LCD... LED is far and away the best picture, but LIKE LCD, they currently don't beat plasma for motion ...

Sorry mm but an LED tv is an lcd with a different lighting source to be technically accurate. LCD using very small long fluorescent tubes, normally on the sides but sometimes top and bottom also. LED tv uses just that, LEDs in place of the tubes. The only true LED tv are OLED or AMOLED, or organic LEDs. Prices are huge and availability of large sizes not yet main stream and may be a while for them to be. Just a couple of years ago a 15" OLED tv was produced at $3000.00 USD. LG has just announced a 55" and availability around August this year but hate to see the price of it. Believe Samsung also.

OLEDs have a similar characteristic to Plasma and that each pixel is its own light source as to LCDs which simply act as 'shutters' blocking or passing light either via LED or fluorescent lighting.

Here is some of the upcoming OLEDs. Note how remarkably thin they are.

Ignore the previous comment above. LED is NOT LCD... LED is far and away the best picture, but LIKE LCD, they currently don't beat plasma for motion ...

Really?

How about this

47" BORDERLESS™ Design FULL HD 120Hz Edge-lit LED LCD TV

Taken from the LG thailand website

http://www.lg.com/th...tv-47SL90QR.jsp

But I'm sure you know it better than LG.

Wow...

Can we ALL agree that TV’s that utilise LCD screens with LED edge lights, are still known - to laymen and technophile alike - as LED TV's? And that they utilise different technology than standard LCD screens, and produce - as is the general consensus - a far better picture than standard LCD TV's?

Good. That's better...

Mmmh,no because in fact lcd's produce a better picture over edge led's which is what the majority of led's in the shop are.

there’s a catch: Edge-lit displays can be prone to minor brightness “hot-spotting,” which results in some non-uniform light intensity on really bright images, or patchy, un-even blacks on dark movies scenes. Still, these drawbacks are minor, and in practical use they’re seldom noticeable. Since many buyers are drawn to the ultra-slim form factor of edge-lit designs anyway, most are willing to trade a little picture quality for more pleasing aesthetics.

By the way,for your information I just received a new 42" led panel,which will be used as my computer screen,and on the box is printed in BIG letters.LCD TV.

OP was asking about Plasma, and has had some fairly sensible answers.

As for the confused, commenting on LED tv's vs LCD tv's, here's the simplified version.

1. They are BOTH LCD DISPLAYS.

2. They are BOTH LCD DISPLAYS.

I know (1) and (2) are the same, but worth mentioning twice in case anybody is still confused.

The difference is in the lighting method.

An "LCD" TV is an LCD panel which is typically BACK LIT (using HCFL - fluorescent lights).

An "LED" TV is an LCD panel which comes BACK LIT with LED's or EDGE LIT with LED's

In terms of picture quality, general consensus at the moment is that backlit LED is best, edgelit LED second best and the "traditional" backlit LCD third.

Personally, I put edge-lit LED and backlit LCD as equal second.

For what it's worth...I worked at a large high-end T.V. store for many,many years. There was 18 guys working there and

we could buy anything at cost. LCD'S,LED'S and Plasma's. Myself and 17 other guys had Plasma's. My 60in Pioneer Elite

Plasma is out of this world.

Everybody understands that the base technology in both LCD & LED TV's is that same, and the difference is in their distinct lighting sources; the only problem in this thread is that there are some who refuse to accept that it is internationally accepted that the difference in their respective lighting sources is sufficient enough to warrant the two distinct internationally accepted names.

Every guide, review, blog, wiki article will make a distinction between LCD & LED TV's because it is the internationally accepted convention for defining the different screen technologies. Even our friend above, who worked at a high-end TV store for many many many years made the distinction. If you walk into an electronics shop and ask for an "LCD TV", you'll get an LCD TV lit with fluorescent tubes; if you asked for a "LED TV", you'll get an LCD TV lit with LED's; if you ask for an "LCD TV lit with LED's", the salesperson will look at you as though you're stupid.

Let me offer a further simplification:

• Fluorescent-lit LCD TV's are manufactured, marketed, sold, and purchased as LCD TV's
  • LED-lit LCD TV's are manufactured, marketed, sold, and purchased as LED TV's.

I understand that this is confusing for some; but go to the websites of major TV manufacturing companies, such as Samsung, Panasonic, and Sony, and you will see that even they make the distinction.

Again, for clarity's sake:

• LCD is the internationally accepted name for an LCD panel that is lit "using very small long fluorescent tubes;
  • LED is the internationally accepted name for an LCD panel that is lit using LED's.

I would never buy another Samsung. Since I bought mine new at Niyom Panich in 2008 I've had to replace the power supply (2X), the tube, the motherboard and the daughter-board. What's left? Fortunately the power supply and the motherboard went out the first year (under warranty) and the tube died at 23 1/2 months; only about 10 days before the warranty was finished on the tube. I had to pay out of pocket for the daughter-board and a 2nd power supply. Junk if you ask me... Having said that, the service from Samsung was excellent. They turned around the TV (pick-up and delivery in 48 hours each time).

Stick with a Sony. They last forever.

Wow..heaps of info..too much haha thanks

After taking advice here i decided not to buy the original 2nd hand set...Wouldn't sell for under 14ooobaht and i saw new one around 19ooobaht.

No thankyou!

Now that i have seen and read what is actually available,hopefully one of you knowledgable types can help me again..

All i want is a basic cheap 43-50 inch TV...no added gizzmo's and gadgets needed...just to watch cable and UBC...Cheapist i guess is key to me..Plasma and LCD seem to be much of a muchness to me and the major brands also seem to offer similar quality..so considering my basic needs am i right in just buying the best deal that i can get? That seems obvious, but any advice is appreciated..thanks

Edited by maipompui

If you buy new and you are going to watch TV then get the shop to plugin the Ariel, normally they run DVD's, some makes the picture quality is very different..

Myself have 2 Panasonic Plasma's, picture quality very good... also have a LG 42" picture quality Bad and a LCD 32" Philips, [for the bedroom just 2 year old] picture quality nowhere near the picture quality of the Panasonic [6 yrs old]......... in one of the spare bedrooms have a old 29" Panasonic is now 12 years old but picture quality is very good, far better than the old LG [1/2 its age]...

Edited by ignis

If you are just going to be watching cable or UBC I would consider getting a "HD ready" set. It will be a few thousand Baht cheaper and WETV will look just the same.No sense paying for technology you are not going to use. I have a Plasma 51" Samsung but I also watch alot of Blueray movies. Keep in mind no matter how much you pay for a TV it will never be better then the source material.

Keep in mind no matter how much you pay for a TV it will never be better then the source material.

That is arguable. While it is true that to get the full impact of true high definition viewing (from a disc format), you'll need to have a Blu-Ray player connected to a Full HD (1080p) TV via an HDMI connection (and be viewing actual Blu-Ray disc content), you can get an approximation of the high definition viewing experience from upscaling.

The upscaling process, if implemented properly, can do a good job of matching the upscaled pixel output of a player to the native pixel display resolution of an HDTV, resulting in better detail and color consistency. I was initially a sceptic on upscaling, until I got my TV & Blu-Ray player, but after testing in various lighting conditions and with different source material - with the upscaling on and off - I prefer the upscaled the image I get from DVD's.

wow. it amaze me how one simple topics always evolve into some so complicated and alien to me. was looking at tvs as well.

maipompui where did you get that offer? honestly i felt like punching myself, i just got myself a 32" samsung for 10k baht after comparing the screen around, but no 3d or anything. would have gotten the same model as yours if i had seen it thought 42 seem too big for my room

but just as usual, the picture quality always seem to differ once i setup in my apartment. i would assume i need a hdtv box

wow. it amaze me how one simple topics always evolve into some so complicated and alien to me. was looking at tvs as well.

maipompui where did you get that offer? honestly i felt like punching myself, i just got myself a 32" samsung for 10k baht after comparing the screen around, but no 3d or anything. would have gotten the same model as yours if i had seen it thought 42 seem too big for my room

but just as usual, the picture quality always seem to differ once i setup in my apartment. i would assume i need a hdtv box

Bic C Extra...Old Carrefour.......Yeh the picture is never as good at home..hahaha..they obviously play special high quality stuff to impress us.....but i just played some DVD'S.....awesum...

Edited by maipompui