Mae Hong Son Loop....In The Smoke?

mowgus

I have a few free days this coming weekend and I'm considering the Mae Hong Son Loop. However, when I was up at Doi Suthep last weekend, I couldn't see Chiang Mai for the smoke. The smoke has eased a bit but not completely (anyone seen Wat Suthep from Chiang Mai lately?)

I'm wondering if it's worth it to go now or should I wait and do it when I come back in the fall? Has anyone done the route recently and what was your experience?

Thanks in advance :)

A couple friends and I did the loop in mid March and enjoyed it despite the smoke. We went went clockwise from the south at Mae Sariang to the north It was pretty cold in the morning when we rode into the hills north of Mae Hong Son.

Brad_Ian_1.jpg

Ian_at_summit.jpg

Mae_Hong_Son_4.jpg

Pai_to_Mae_Hong_Son_3.jpg

Brad_at_switch_back.jpg

I've done the loop several times from both directions and enjoyed each trip, but you should have at least 3 days to do it... with at least 2 over night stays and preferably 4 or more..

However, there is something to be said for taking the trip in November. The air is cleaner and that is the season for the sunflowers that cover the hills near Kuhn Yuam (south of Mae Hong Son)

Mae_Hong_Son_sunflowers_4.jpg

Mae_Hong_Son_sunflowers.jpg

Not done the MHS loop recently but we had a good ride through Phrao, Fang, Thaton etc last weekend and missed out Doi Mae Salong as it was completely pointless due to the pollution.

Today looks even better than yesterday so I would say go for it.

If the views aren't there do it again later in the year too, why not?

Edited by mrclough
  • Like 1

Thanks for the input! Those are pretty awesome shots with the sunflowers! Whether I do it now or not, I'll have to go back and do it again in December I think. I did the Phrao - Fang route a couple of months ago before the smoke and it was a great trip. Maybe I should scope out another option for this weekend and go to MHS in December....

I have at 3 nights so I have the time to do it without too much of a rush. Has anyone checked out the caves at Soppong? Tham Lod sounds like something I will have to check out.

Probably a bit late, butI'd say go because of the rain & the air's clearing, if not cleared.

It rained in MHS Wed night & on Friday heavily in Mae Chaem.

I came back from MHS on Thursday

Edited by bazmlb
link to other forum removed as per forum rules

Thanks for the input! Those are pretty awesome shots with the sunflowers! Whether I do it now or not, I'll have to go back and do it again in December I think. I did the Phrao - Fang route a couple of months ago before the smoke and it was a great trip. Maybe I should scope out another option for this weekend and go to MHS in December....

I have at 3 nights so I have the time to do it without too much of a rush. Has anyone checked out the caves at Soppong? Tham Lod sounds like something I will have to check out.

Tham Lod is very touristy, but might be a little quieter this time of year. There are literally a thousand caves in the area. Spend a few nights at the Cave Lodge in Ban Tham Lod. John, the owner, can arrange tours to many of the nearby caves where you (and the guide, if you choose to go with one) will be the only one in the cave.

Probably a bit late, butI'd say go because of the rain & the air's clearing, if not cleared.

It rained in MHS Wed night & on Friday heavily in Mae Chaem.

I came back from MHS on Thursday

Thanks for your imput, David. Too many people just don't get off the well known routes. There is lots to explore even on a rental scooter. Just take your time and leave the speed demons to their own reckless pace.

Never had done the MHS route yet, not sure why. Heading out Monday or tuesday to do it.

Just a quick question. Fuel and hotels ?

Small tank, any problems getting fuel ?

As hotels go. in the under 1000 range but decent that are OK for my wife and I, are there many along the way so no worrys, just start looking at the end of the day ??

Edited by onthedarkside
reformat from bold text

1 more quick question ?

Wave or Ninja ? and why ?

Sorry, but that is a pretty silly question. And one you should know how to answer yourself!

What are you capable of riding?

Want to have a nice slow trip with lots of scenery? 10hp Wave.

Know how to handle a 33hp racing-style bike on crazy mountain curves, and have the reflexes to deal with with cars and trucks coming at you on the wrong side of the road? Ninja (or CBR)

Never had done the MHS route yet, not sure why. Heading out Monday or tuesday to do it.

Just a quick question. Fuel and hotels ?

Small tank, any problems getting fuel ?

As hotels go. in the under 1000 range but decent that are OK for my wife and I, are there many along the way so no worrys, just start looking at the end of the day ??

It depends on what route you want to take. I prefer the southern route first as it is an easy breakin to the serious hill climbs between Pai and Mae Hong Son.

Fill your gas tank before leaving Chiang Mai. It is just under a 100 km from Chiang Mai to the tiny town of Hot where you turn right (west) towards the mountains. That is the first gas stop. It is a fairly boring ride between Chiang Mai and Hot, but the highway is mostly good with some construction in various locations. And, it does give you a chance to test your bike capabilities. There are a few sections where you can average 90 Kph or more, and a few others where you will slow to a stop in places like Hang Dong. Once you leave Hot the road follows a pretty river valley and slowly climbs into the hills. A big bike shouldn't go much faster than a scooter because you just can't see around the corners... and you NEVER KNOW who might be coming at you in your lane.

From Chiang Mai, It will take about 3 to 4 hours to reach Mae Sariang, which is at the other side of the mountains. From Mae Sariang to Mae Hong Son it is mostly a good, winding highway with not too many fast sections or slow sections. It is a very pleasant ride. It's about 180 km from Mae Sariang to Mae Hong Son. There are many guest cottages and places to eat in Mae Sariang. We've seldom paid more than 400 to 500 baht for a room. However, due to my interests I most often drive another 30 km north to the village of Mae La Noi. I know of a nice guest cottage there that is only 250 baht a night. It also cuts another 30 km off the ride to Mae Hong Son the next day. Although Mae Hong Son has many hotels and guest cottages, it's hard to find one under 500 baht, Many of the hotels want 1000 baht or more... even though many are empty. There is quite a lot to explore if you want to add a few days to your trip and explore the side roads.

It is 240 km from Mae Hong Son to Chiang Mai via the northern route, but with all the curves and bends it's hard to make good time. I did it in 3 and a half hours on my 250 D-Tracker but I was trying to go as fast as safely possible. I didn't get off the bike except for one pee break and a gas stop in Pai. My butt was pretty sore when I got back to Chiang Mai. The road climbs over about 4 or 5 mountain passes between Mae Hong Son and Mae Taeng and very often the road follows ridge tops where you can look down into 2 different valleys at the same time.. However, don't trust the hairpin turns. The road is VERY rough on many of the sharp corners and you can go around them as quickly on a scooter as you can on a big bike..

it is about 107 km from Mae Hong Son to Pai and you'll want to make lots of stops to take photos. It is about 100 km from Pai to Mae Taeng where highway 1095 joins hwy 107 and turns south to Chiang Mai. 107 is a very good highway from Chiang Mai to Mae Taeng but it is very busy with transport trucks and more dangerous than it looks.

WATCH OUT FOR GROUPS OF SILVER VANS!! They ARE out to kill you, or at least just run you off the highway. They have NO respect for anyone on a motorbike.

Good luck and enjoy yourself.