Thai Hybrids What Are They?

fanta rood

Angle

• noun a member of an ancient Germanic people who came to England in the 5th century ad and founded kingdoms in Mercia, Northumbria, and East Anglia.

Things have moved on in the past 1600 years. Englishmen/women are people who have been born in England, Welsh in Wales, Scots in Scotland. 'British' is a blanket term used to describe them all.

• Being born in a stable does not make one a horse.
    On being described as Irish. Mind you, he was descended from the Kings of Thomond!
  • The Saxons have been described as English since the English language was written. Mind you, the Welsh and Scots called both Angles and Saxons Saxon.

On terminology, am I the only one who thinks that luuk farang and luuk thai should have different meanings in Farangland to what they have in Thailand? I.e. that children of local origin should be luuk farang and the luuk thai should mean luuk kreung?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Angle

• noun a member of an ancient Germanic people who came to England in the 5th century ad and founded kingdoms in Mercia, Northumbria, and East Anglia.

Things have moved on in the past 1600 years. Englishmen/women are people who have been born in England, Welsh in Wales, Scots in Scotland. 'British' is a blanket term used to describe them all.

• Being born in a stable does not make one a horse.
    On being described as Irish. Mind you, he was descended from the Kings of Thomond!
  • The Saxons have been described as English since the English language was written. Mind you, the Welsh and Scots called both Angles and Saxons Saxon.

On terminology, am I the only one who thinks that luuk farang and luuk thai should have different meanings in Farangland to what they have in Thailand? I.e. that children of local origin should be luuk farang and the luuk thai should mean luuk kreung?

We are talking about lukkrueng here, aren't we?

As the topic states hybrids or people of mixed race, about half of it being Thai race.

???

Interesting title for a thread, I wasn't sure if I'd find a discussion about people or flowers. :o

I'm not a luk krueng physically, but I'm a bit mixed culturally. I've had remarks on both my "Thai-ness" and "farang-ness" from both Thais and westerners. :D

My advice to you, for what its worth, is that if you do bring them up in Thailand, you must bring them up to be western (American, or whatever) and give them an education that goes with that. That way, they will have much more of an advantage in life than if they were brought up Thai. Of course thats not to say that they shouldn't have a love and understanding of their Thai roots as well.
I want them to have it all, The best education our cash can buy, All the fun of the Thai holidays and culture mixed with The American sense of competitiveness and independence. Who knows with any luck they can get the Thai entrepreneurial sprit but with a American "Think Big" mind state and be rich and wealthy and take care of Mom and Dad when we get old :D

I agree with bringing the kids up in the western world, for the educational and environmental benefits, but I'd also like to suggest that you try to bring them to over during their summer holidays as often as possible, finances permitting. Arrange for them to spend some time in a real Thai school, complete with uniforms and Thai classmates, teachers, food vendors and all. This interaction will bring about a deeper understanding of Thai thinking and how the society works. If you also want them to have the advantage of being bilingual, have them learn the language from an early age, even while in America (try Thai temples, or even online learning) then practice their skills on their visits here, as well as with their mom at home.

Ummm Actualy Kat I am a life Member of the NRA,  but then again I'm also a life member of the NAACP.... But hey thats a topic for a whole other thread :D

Captin Money: :o I KNEW you were going to say that! That's why we can't make assumptions about people, or nations based on 1 or a few people.

Siamese Kitty makes some good points about raising the kid in both cultures. I'd also like to add, that a farang friend of mine only talks to his kids in English, and the mother speaks to them in Thai. This way, they learn early on how to speak each language with a native tongue.

Edited by kat

I'd also like to add, that a farang friend of mine only talks to his kids in English, and the mother speaks to them in Thai.  This way, they learn early on how to speak each language with a native tongue.

This is also how i was brought up.

Growing up in a bilingual home can be quite challenging for young kids. My parents tell me my older sister, when she first started to speak, used to refer to things by their English as well as their Thai name, together.

For example she would say "water, nam".

So my parents decided to change tact to make it easier for me. My dad would only speak to me in English and my mum only in Thai.

As i have mentioned in another thread, at home we often mix Thai and English in the same sentence. I find this allows us to convey what we mean even more succintly. (This is not to be confused with "Thinglish", which is usually due to not being fluent in one of the languages).

Then I asked him "Say your British huh?" he looked sternly at me and said "NO, I am a Englishman" I looked at him with that same puzzled expression that I gave him when he mentioned the word "trots". I finally asked "Um excuse my ignorance sir but I have not traveled much, what’s the difference?" His nose literally started to rise in the air as he lectured me with imperialist pride "Well, far to many Indians and Pakis (he almost coughed out the word Paki's") come to England and claim British nationality but they will never be a Englishman, a Englishman is a Anglo-Saxon native of the island of mostly Germanic and Roman decent,  the True people of England" At this point he started talking about St Georges Cross and a bunch of stuff I can't remember but that part stuck in my mind.

Oh well live and learn :D

Thanks

Of course this attitude had a lot to do with why the gentleman was on Thai visa bus, not enjoying the English winter at home, or being in a position that supplied a visa.

The "British" thing seems to be a yank hangup, can not see the 3 countries plus Ireland. Most poms do not think of themselves as "British" but English, Welsh, Scot but rarely "British". Now I will be advised that all except the English are not poms. :D

Hey I'm an Ausie, another mongeral breed. (Afaid to use the race word there) :o