Suvarnabhumi Airport Urges Travelers To Check In 3-4 Hours Before Departure

webfact

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's suppose for one minute that enough of us refuse to check-in more than 2 hours prior to departure, do you honestly believe the plane will take off without so many still stuck at immigration/customs?

Your getting to the airport late is not reason for a refund nor are lines at the airport or traffic getting to the airport reasons for a refund. So, why would an airlines wait, at their expense and the expense of others, for you when they won't lose a dime for your purposeful lateness? Obviously you haven't flown in the US during holidays like Thanksgiving ... and I am not even talking international flights.

Er, I am not talking about getting late to airport due to traffic....that is my fault.

I am talking about this: I am in line and checked in 2 hours before flight. Then I am delayed in getting to departure gate due to madness at immigration. See the difference?

As for "purposeful lateness", I view it as "reasonable check-in time". As I said, if you are not willing to lose a flight then by all means go to airport 4 or 5 hours before flight departs. But I never have and am always boarded on the flight. Maybe one day I will be booted off whilst I am queuing at immigration, but the day has not come yet.

It is not a reasonable time when it is a holiday and you have been warned, as well as common sense, tells us to expect delays during this time. If you get to the airport 2-hours early, as is recommended for international travel just about anywhere, then you should have no problem making your flight ... just like anywhere else.

Lines are a part of life and they get worse under certain times be it a line at a popular eatery or transportation during rush hour or a taxis in the rain. BKK is one of the busiest airports for international travelers and Thailand is a top destination for international tourists. They have significantly improved passport control times but there will always be lines and at times there will be long wait times ... this is just a fact of life here and just about any busy airport. For all the complaining, I've never come close to missing a flight in years and get to the airport an hour to an hour and 15-minutes early and almost always grab a bite to eat and have a smoke before. The line always look long and worrisome but it always moves fast.

No it is not reasonable,because the immigration problem is house made,house made like so many other problems in Thailand,but thais are not interested to listen and they also not interested in improving things,specialy not if a foreigner complains and tries to tell them how to improve,maybe if a Thai would complain,they might listen,but thais never complain,thats one reason why Thailand is a service desert

BKK is one of the busiest airports for international travelers

It was the World's 16th busiest airport last year for international passengers.

Thailand is a top destination for international tourists.

It's not even the busiest in the South East Asian region. Malaysia gets about 10 million more visitors per annum. Internationally, it is nowhere near the top ten.

Reading through your posts it seems you have a habit of exaggeration.

this is thailand....if you don't like imcompetence, mismanagement, arrogance, racism, xenophobia, aggression, dishonesty, dangerous traffic, violence to foreigners, scams, cheating and lies....DON"T COME!

Agreed. I personally LOVE all these things and am always disappointed when I don't see one or two of them for a few days.

Your getting to the airport late is not reason for a refund nor are lines at the airport or traffic getting to the airport reasons for a refund. So, why would an airlines wait, at their expense and the expense of others, for you when they won't lose a dime for your purposeful lateness? Obviously you haven't flown in the US during holidays like Thanksgiving ... and I am not even talking international flights.

Er, I am not talking about getting late to airport due to traffic....that is my fault.

I am talking about this: I am in line and checked in 2 hours before flight. Then I am delayed in getting to departure gate due to madness at immigration. See the difference?

As for "purposeful lateness", I view it as "reasonable check-in time". As I said, if you are not willing to lose a flight then by all means go to airport 4 or 5 hours before flight departs. But I never have and am always boarded on the flight. Maybe one day I will be booted off whilst I am queuing at immigration, but the day has not come yet.

It is not a reasonable time when it is a holiday and you have been warned, as well as common sense, tells us to expect delays during this time. If you get to the airport 2-hours early, as is recommended for international travel just about anywhere, then you should have no problem making your flight ... just like anywhere else.

Lines are a part of life and they get worse under certain times be it a line at a popular eatery or transportation during rush hour or a taxis in the rain. BKK is one of the busiest airports for international travelers and Thailand is a top destination for international tourists. They have significantly improved passport control times but there will always be lines and at times there will be long wait times ... this is just a fact of life here and just about any busy airport. For all the complaining, I've never come close to missing a flight in years and get to the airport an hour to an hour and 15-minutes early and almost always grab a bite to eat and have a smoke before. The line always look long and worrisome but it always moves fast.

No it is not reasonable,because the immigration problem is house made,house made like so many other problems in Thailand,but thais are not interested to listen and they also not interested in improving things,specialy not if a foreigner complains and tries to tell them how to improve,maybe if a Thai would complain,they might listen,but thais never complain,thats one reason why Thailand is a service desert

If things are that bad for you here, then hopefully you will only have to deal with it one more time on your way out.

• Like 2

Let's suppose for one minute that enough of us refuse to check-in more than 2 hours prior to departure, do you honestly believe the plane will take off without so many still stuck at immigration/customs?

And I predict it never will come. Flights in Thailand are always held up for passengers who are late in boarding. It happens all the time. I would be willing to bet that arriving at the airport one hour before the flight would result in the passenger catching the plane 100% of the time. And as you say, two hours before departure is a reasonable time to arrive.

The US is a different story altogether, but T.I.T.

Edited by mesquite

do you honestly believe the plane will take off without so many still stuck at immigration/customs?

Yes, I do. And they'll probably smile at you while they sell you a full fare ticket to replace the one in your hand that's no longer valid.

There is a slight problem facing the airlines as security protocol tends to frown upon carrying checked-in luggage without the associated passenger also on board. In many cases the planes will be held back for depature.

And I predict it never will come. Flights in Thailand are always held up for passengers who are late in boarding. It happens all the time. I would be willing to bet that arriving at the airport one hour before the flight would result in the passenger catching the plane 100% of the time. And as you say, two hours before departure is a reasonable time to arrive.

The US is a different story altogether, but T.I.T.

I have to agree with you, i have never been on time leaving or arriving at swampy giggle.gif

Edited by sjjmmi

FORBES LAUNCHES TOP TEN MOST ‘ON-TIME’ AIRPORTS (2008)

http://express.bcdtr...-time-airports/ or http://www.latedepar...orts-worldwide/

List of of best on-time airports:

• 1. Haneda (HND), Tokyo, Japan - 90%
  • 2. Narita International (NRT), Tokyo, Japan - 84.2%
  • 3. Taiwan Taoyuan International, Taipei (TPE), Taiwan - 80.3%
  • 4. Kingsford Smith International (SYD), Sydney, Australia - 80.1%
  • 5. Hong Kong International (HKG), Hong Kong, Hong Kong - 79.7%
  • 6. Soekarno-Hatta International (CGK), Jakarta, Indonesia - 79.3%
  • 6. Suvarnabhumi International (BKK), Bangkok, Thailand - 79.3%
  • 7. Orlando International (MCO), Orlando, USA - 79.8%
  • 8. Franz Josef Strauss Airport (MUC), Munich, Germany - 77.8%
  • 9. George Bush International (IAH), Houston, USA - 77%

Edited by Nisa

do you honestly believe the plane will take off without so many still stuck at immigration/customs?

Yes, I do. And they'll probably smile at you while they sell you a full fare ticket to replace the one in your hand that's no longer valid.

There is a slight problem facing the airlines as security protocol tends to frown upon carrying checked-in luggage without the associated passenger also on board. In many cases the planes will be held back for depature.

Good point.

I typically have the usual departure time on EVA at around 1700. So, I typically leave Pattaya on the 12 or 1300 Bell bus. I have on occasion been there earlier and the EVA desk was not open yet. The same people that work at the upstairs ticketing desk in general then go downstairs to the ticketing desk, at least some do. BUt 3 hours prior to departure is a reasonable time in my opinion for a trip that is flying me half way around the world. I hate rushing through airports as much as I get bored waiting in an airport. But at Swampy, not a bad idea to get there early, get ticketed then go downstairs to the left to the cheap place to eat. I just have never seen the long departure lines that recently made the news. had to be a weird confluence of events or times

It's not even the busiest in the South East Asian region. Malaysia gets about 10 million more visitors per annum. Internationally, it is nowhere near the top ten.

Presume you mean Nisa!, yes his (hers!) posts are pretty much predictable. Blowing your own trumpet springs to mind.

ph34r.png

Presume you mean Nisa!, yes his (hers!) posts are pretty much predictable. Blowing your own trumpet springs to mind.

ph34r.png

No clue what you mean by blowing on trumpet since I am not Thai but kind of hard to argue with facts ...

16th busiest airport in the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World's_busiest_airports_by_passenger_traffic

8th busiest airport in the world for international tourists http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World's_busiest_airports_by_international_passenger_traffic

16th most visited country in the world by International Tourist Arrivals

http://en.wikipedia....ourism_rankings

This would put Thailand in the top 8% for international tourist arrivals by country (only counting UN member nations) as well as putting in top 2% regarding busiest airports (counting only international airports only). Obviously percentage wise would rate even higher if we counted all airports and all countries.

Clearly without any rational argument, this makes true the statements that "BKK is one of the busiest airports for international travelers" as well as "Thailand is a top destination for international tourists"

Edited by Nisa

Now let me get this rite. They want to turn swamppy into a regional hub and have every one check in 3 to4 hours early. even though some airlines only open up 2 hours before take off time. At least that has been my experience with Eva Air

No telling how long to get out of the air port coming back

this is thailand....if you don't like imcompetence, mismanagement, arrogance, racism, xenophobia, aggression, dishonesty, dangerous traffic, violence to foreigners, scams, cheating and lies....DON"T COME!

Agree, if it wasn't for the warm weather, delicious food, gracious smiles and gorgeous 21-year olds happy to sleep with guys three times their age I wouldn't come near this place.

• Like 1

They keep saying "Check in early" but say nothing about getting to Immigration early. Its NOT the check in that is the problem.

In my cases the check in was the problem. Long long queues when flying to Delhi, Yangon & Hanoi last month. Yangon was a mess and my colleague had to wait more than an hour to get to the check-in desk and dump her luggage. (Another reason to travel light :-)

For all three flights... Departure: Immigration & Security Check less than 15 Minutes, Arrival incl. baggage claim, fastest 15 mins. and not longer than 35 mins.

And they really do try to work on the negative image on the immigration booth. More thank you's and smiles than I got in past years.

Sometimes you need to remember that they have not the easiest job (look at some of their "customers") and being friendly to them and greet them with a wai does wonders.

NO! We pay you, not you pay us! Stop this Thai rhetoric Immigration.

Get more Thai Immigration Staff! Full stop! But 100 x 0 is still 0.

Why should people check in 3-4hrs if they only have a 1 hr flight? Get real!

Come on Lindsay, lighten up. What they really want you to do is spend the day there. After all there's lots of restaurants, shopping and loads of comfortable seating to relax when you get tired.whistling.gif

• Like 2

As usual, the travellers must suffer for their mismanagement and incompetence.

Not sure I can agree with you in this case. I have previously started threads about queues and long waiting times, and have contributed to many more, so I know the scenario. However, the man is giving fair warning about the holiday period expected delays, so what can you blame him for?

Blame him for the fact that most check-in counters will open 3 hours before departure maybe?

Despite that, he is right.........some travelers seem to have to bad habit to arrive at the check in "last-minute".

Whatever happened to that big cheese airport official who slapped around the security guard at the xray check in point? That story and breach of airport security just disappeared with no follow up journalism.

• Like 2

Agree, if it wasn't for the warm weather, delicious food, gracious smiles and gorgeous 21-year olds happy to sleep with guys three times their age I wouldn't come near this place.

You not a beach goer? cool.png

Good point.

If your late getting to the gate in Hong Kong, they will unload your baggage & leave you behind. Been there done that.

These issues help keep out the weak farangs...... :-) Regarding these upcoming holiday crowds, I am curious if it is long term expats fleeing Thailand due to Songkran, or first time tourists pouring in.. Either way , suggesting tourists arrive 4 hours before a flight because there is not enough immigration staff is pretty bizarre, even for Swampy. Hmmmm.... Maybe hire more immigration staff ?? Nah, that would be to tricky to accomplish.......

They lost my baggage last week. First time it has happened to me in Suvarnabhumi. Usually they are pretty efficient with bags. There were about 30 of us stuck waiting at the carousel.

What annoyed me the most was that there was no apologies from anyone, no explanation and the staff at the airport seemed to think it amusing.

First night of my week long holiday ruined. Fortunately the bag arrived at my house in BKK at 1am the next morning.