Pre-Songkran Water War Activity

Ulysses G.

anyone know when does it start in pai and chiangmai? im in pai right now, coming back on 12th april. any possible way to avoid getting wet?

Take a taxi.

when does it start throwing? i believe the festival is on 13th, hopefully the water throwing activities itself. taking the cab is definitely what i will do, but i guess i might still be alittle wet, would probably assume some light throwing at the arcade station, but maybe not. hmm

anyone know when does it start in pai and chiangmai? im in pai right now, coming back on 12th april. any possible way to avoid getting wet?

Take a taxi.

when does it start throwing? i believe the festival is on 13th, hopefully the water throwing activities itself. taking the cab is definitely what i will do, but i guess i might still be alittle wet, would probably assume some light throwing at the arcade station, but maybe not. hmm

No, 12 is a big day, probably in the Pai area too, and in between. Also for safety and traffic jam reasons I strongly suggest you get back on the 11th.

Take a taxi.

No, 12 is a big day, probably in the Pai area too, and in between. Also for safety and traffic jam reasons I strongly suggest you get back on the 11th.

thanks for the info. i guess i shall just come back on 11th noon =)

when does it start throwing?

Every year that I can remember, it started in earnest in the afternoon of the 11th, so that is when I get into Songran gear and leave the wallet and such at home. .

Edited by Ulysses G.

thumbsup.gif And even on the 11th, be a little careful with kids playing water in the villages. (Esp. when riding a motorbike, sudden wet patches, sudden buckets, etc. wink.png )(

I start work out in Hang Dong and have to bring a laptop with me daily, hoping that for the next few days I stay dry, I think I will wrap it in plastic and my rain jacket as a precaution.

I certainly hope not, but two small Thai children have been running around in my building dry-firing for days.

Maybe you could introduce them to the farang's with small kid brains and they can squirt water at each other for the next week or so.

Good idea!!

Went through wing 41 a hour ago, a group of unfortunate attractive young ladies Seemed to be ablaze. Poor girls, very skimpily dressed, Tee shirts and short shorts !

At least two small water hoses being applied on them and numerous young males throwing water to help dampen the flames.

I saluted as I passed and two guys washed me down.

john

Last night around 12.30 there was a gang of farang soaking everything that went past. One approached a car and started squirting his super soaker 9000 through a small gap the window been down.

This really annoyed me, to the piont where if one got me, I was going to stop and engage in fisty cuffs. Thank fully it didn't come to that.

This is my 8th songkran and I've not seen this level of stupidly before.

thumbsup.gif And even on the 11th, be a little careful with kids playing water in the villages. (Esp. when riding a motorbike, sudden wet patches, sudden buckets, etc. wink.png )(

I start work out in Hang Dong and have to bring a laptop with me daily, hoping that for the next few days I stay dry, I think I will wrap it in plastic and my rain jacket as a precaution.

Definitely wrap it. My mate had his soaked a few days before official songkran last year and it was done.

A mate got soaked last night around Tapae. Farangs with buckets and guns. His phone still has issues apparently, hopefully will be fine when fully dried out. Songkran can be fun (although one day of it and im done) but hate the idiocy that goes with it. Granted it might be that tourists are truly ignorant about the cut off point for soakings. Really think TAT should consider distributing leaflets about songkran to hotels and flights etc at this time about SOngkran etiquette.

• Like 1

That group at Tha Pae gate was an ugly bunch, they started early, soaking every rider that passed, night-time not yet Songkran. should not be tolerated.

I think the UK throws the prison gates open at this time of year and gives everyone a two week holiday in Chiang Mai, to help rehabilitate them and improve their social skills. Stranger things have been heard of in the UK (where I'm from), where some of the policies are completely off the rails.

Edited by uptheos
  • Like 1

where some of the policies are completely off the rails.

You mean the tax rise on warmed Cornish pasty?

Yeah....how warm does that Cornish pasty have to be in order to qualify for VAT? huh.png

Just another way to collect pennies, the current Government is desperate to find any dosh to plug the huge deficit left to them by the last lot.

Anyway; back on thread, been out on the usual Bike ride this morning and it's very sleepy everywhere with no sign of water activity at all. Seems to me all the action must be in town during the day and all the bad behaviour follows at night. I'll stay in my sleepy corner !

A mate got soaked last night around Tapae. Farangs with buckets and guns. His phone still has issues apparently, hopefully will be fine when fully dried out. Songkran can be fun (although one day of it and im done) but hate the idiocy that goes with it. Granted it might be that tourists are truly ignorant about the cut off point for soakings. Really think TAT should consider distributing leaflets about songkran to hotels and flights etc at this time about SOngkran etiquette.

They shouldn't have let them in the country in the first place.

Edited by Semper

In a Songkran waterfight I don't think there is such a thing as losing. wink.png It's an act of blessing too.

Sawasdee Bee Mai, Khun WinnieTheKhwai,

I wish I could agree with this, I really do !

But, once you have had someone (in this case a Thai) run out of a restaurant (farang owned, that shall not be named here) on Loi Kroh, a ways down from Changklan, past the entrance to the Royal Lanna, heading east towards the one-way "iron bridge" over the Ping at the Charoenbrathet intersection, and toss a full bucket of dirty water from ground-level upwards right in your face at close range, as hard as they can, to try to blind you, and knock you off your bicycle ... it is hard to keep in mind the memories of other, more gentle, lustrations.

My favorite thing is to stop where I see a very young child, with small water-gun, or bucket, who I think might be shy, and stop and bend over, and invite them to pour water on me smile.png They often hide behind mama or papa at the approach of this strange old big-ugly farang, and have to be encouraged by mom, or pop, to come out and "let me have it."

best, ~o:37;

Edited by orang37