Warning Chiang Mai

Rosco911

This post is to inform people living or visiting Chiang Mai to be aware of the danger whilst walking down back streets at night.

On Saturday night a friend of mine was attacked by 10 youths on motorbikes using baseball bats and knives whilst walking to his car that was parked in the square opposite Soi 1 off Loi Khor road. Luckily he spotted the passenger of the first motorbike carrying a bat and ducked to miss the swing to his head. The second bikes passenger was waving a large knife as he got off the bike followed by the other gang members. During the struggle with the youths he managed to knock one down with the bag he was carrying and run up the back road to the Ramming Lodge hotel where the police were called to the scene. Fortunately for him he only sustained minor bruises and broken glasses.

Now before anyone makes the usual comment of ''he must of upset someone'' I can assure you all that this is not the case. This man has lived and worked in Thailand for the past nine years and is one of the nicest people you could ever meet and has never been in any confrontation. We can only conclude this was a failed attempted mugging.

Please all be aware of your surroundings and where you are, the next person might not be so lucky.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An entire gang with bats and knives for a mugging? Sounds very extreme and would attract a ton of attention (something muggers would definitely want to avoid). I would argue that a failed mugging is *NOT* the only conclusion. There are many other conclusions to be drawn which make way more sense.

1.) "He must of upset somebody". Even tho you try to discard this from the get-go, its still a possibility. Maybe the "victim" doesn't want to admit what he did. Maybe he doesn't remember what he did. Or maybe he just didn't even realize that he offended someone.

2.) A case of mistaken identity. Maybe he looks like someone else that upset somebody. Maybe he hangs out with somebody that upset somebody else and was deemed guilty by association.

Muggers tend to prey on the weak and susceptible. Attempting to mug someone who attempts to fight back and is quick enough to run away from them, on a busy street, with alot of potential witnesses, with baseball bats and knives, with a whole lot of people, just does not make any sense at all.

This M.O. definitely matches a "pay back" waaaaaay more than a "failed mugging".

-Mestizo

He probably meant in front of Soi 2, near the temple? There is no square or easy place to park in front of Loi Kroh Soi 1.

Violent muggings do happen. Not a lot, but they do happen. It's sometimes a single gang responsible for several muggings, until they're caught and then locked up. Probably won't hurt to be a little careful the coming days/weeks.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

The description sounds like a swarming, western style. I can't quite place the place though. There is no “square” opposite Soi 1 Loi Kroh. I can guess at the lane that heads north, hang a left and you are at the rear entrance of the Ramming, seems like a pretty busy spot to swarm someone. I've wandered around there at all hours, in various states of mind, shall we say. Never a problem. I would suggest you look at door number 2 as posted by Mestizo. Hope your buddy is okay, that sort of thing can carry a bit of a trauma with it. I've been mugged before, in Canada, it freaks you out for quite a while.

Edited by DowntownAl

An entire gang with bats and knives for a mugging? Sounds very extreme and would attract a ton of attention (something muggers would definitely want to avoid). I would argue that a failed mugging is *NOT* the only conclusion. There are many other conclusions to be drawn which make way more sense.

1.) "He must of upset somebody". Even tho you try to discard this from the get-go, its still a possibility. Maybe the "victim" doesn't want to admit what he did. Maybe he doesn't remember what he did. Or maybe he just didn't even realize that he offended someone.

2.) A case of mistaken identity. Maybe he looks like someone else that upset somebody. Maybe he hangs out with somebody that upset somebody else and was deemed guilty by association.

Muggers tend to prey on the weak and susceptible. Attempting to mug someone who attempts to fight back and is quick enough to run away from them, on a busy street, with alot of potential witnesses, with baseball bats and knives, with a whole lot of people, just does not make any sense at all.

This M.O. definitely matches a "pay back" waaaaaay more than a "failed mugging".

-Mestizo

The post it says opposite Soi 1, It's a very dark road leading to a square that has four roads exiting it. Try walking yourself at 1.00am and see how many witnesses are around. My guess is zero.

Possibly you may be correct with mistaken identity.

Amazing though how people jump to other conclusions without knowing the person involved. Normally this is because they assume the worst in everyone.

This was and still is a genuine post to make people aware of what is going on. Hopefully it will not take the death of someone to change you mind.

He probably meant in front of Soi 2, near the temple? There is no square or easy place to park in front of Loi Kroh Soi 1.

Violent muggings do happen. Not a lot, but they do happen. It's sometimes a single gang responsible for several muggings, until they're caught and then locked up. Probably won't hurt to be a little careful the coming days/weeks.

Hi Winnie

From the square near the temple go up the back road heading towards the moat, just before you get to the back of the Ramming Lodge the road opens out into a small square where you can normally park your car.

The description sounds like a swarming, western style. I can't quite place the place though. There is no “square” opposite Soi 1 Loi Kroh. I can guess at the lane that heads north, hang a left and you are at the rear entrance of the Ramming, seems like a pretty busy spot to swarm someone. I've wandered around there at all hours, in various states of mind, shall we say. Never a problem. I would suggest you look at door number 2 as posted by Mestizo. Hope your buddy is okay, that sort of thing can carry a bit of a trauma with it. I've been mugged before, in Canada, it freaks you out for quite a while.

Yes you got the right spot, I have parked my car there for years and never had a problem. I would imagine if you have been wondering around there you will know the guy it happened to especially if you go in the Boar.

The gang was probably on drugs and looking for next fix! No matter what others may say, many parts of town are not safe at night anymore. Those days are long gone. Everyone, please have aq safe Songkran.

Edited by Lifer

sounded like the local samurai gang

That was my first thought as well, except, to my knowledge they don't target foreigners.

I could be wrong though, actually I'm wrong most of the time, but I'm wrong with so much conviction that people think I'm right :D

Yes you got the right spot, I have parked my car there for years and never had a problem. I would imagine if you have been wondering around there you will know the guy it happened to especially if you go in the Boar.

I have been known to get Boar-ed now and then. I'll be down there this weekend, hope everything is okay.

-Mestizo

The post it says opposite Soi 1, It's a very dark road leading to a square that has four roads exiting it. Try walking yourself at 1.00am and see how many witnesses are around. My guess is zero.

Possibly you may be correct with mistaken identity.

Amazing though how people jump to other conclusions without knowing the person involved. Normally this is because they assume the worst in everyone.

This was and still is a genuine post to make people aware of what is going on. Hopefully it will not take the death of someone to change you mind.

And without knowing the person or you they should just swallow what you say hook line and sinker.

You didn't say until post #5 that this happened at 1 a.m. Sadly, in any large town, especially in red light areas, wandering round a dark street at 1 a.m. is asking for trouble.

I've always found Chiangmai a pretty safe city, but then if I'm out at 1 a.m., which is rare, I keep to well-lit areas.

And I thought you had been here a 'long' time!

to my knowledge they don't target foreigners

Why not, they are the ones with the money. Not to many Thai in this area.

Heh, not yours truly. I never carry more than 1000 baht. Chiang Mai is so cheap you don't really need more for a night out. And at 1am on my way back to the car I'd probably be down to under a 100 baht.

to my knowledge they don't target foreigners

Why not, they are the ones with the money. Not to many Thai in this area.

Heh, not yours truly. I never carry more than 1000 baht. Chiang Mai is so cheap you don't really need more for a night out. And at 1am on my way back to the car I'd probably be down to under a 100 baht.

You'd better be able to announce that to the attackers before the baseball bat cracks your skull ;-)

• Like 2

Where did paradise go?

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun UpTheos,

Back into the primordial jungle of your subconscious mind from whence it came ?

best, ~o:37;

It was a rhetorical question, but your response sounds about right. wink.png

Edited by uptheos
  • Like 1

-Mestizo

I have no reasons to doubt our rosco911 account of what happened.

People do get mugged you know, for no other reasons than just being unlucky enough to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. The victims of assaults do not always have ulterior motives for why they get viciously attacked. It could happen to any of us.

Over the years I have actually witnessed attacks on innocent victims by motorbike gangs on the roads in Chiang Mai and although rare, I can assure you it is quite scary, especially when by no fault on your part are there at the scene and suddenly caught up in the middle of it.

I think these days we cannot take it for granted that these events will always happen to the other guy but will never happen to us because we believe we are nice people and never cause offence to anyone.

I personally thank rosco911 for the warning and will certainly be more aware when out and about in the future.

Edited by Beetlejuice