Did The Earth Move For You?

backstairs

Absolutely fantastic sunset pictures! smile.png

I felt good when this happened. I was in NE of Phuket when I got the news. Van driver spend a long time trying to explain to me what has happened. At the end when he said "same as Japan" got me to understand that there had been an earth quake.

It was great to see how people were tied together, nobody were in a hurry. People just gathered around the village and were discussing about the quake an possible tsunami. Somehow I felt that there was no difference of people, just people together.

The sunset was absolutely wonderful. Note that this is a reverse sunset, the picture is facing to the east.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/zu71oh2wtQLd8FX0fdXplX1muBTYskviWcO9DsRby2A?feat=directlink

People from the Naka island coming back to Phuket

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/QoMX068wqB5rPns0kuKnEH1muBTYskviWcO9DsRby2A?feat=directlink

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was wondering were the police was during all this. Went to vieuw point, Rawai beach and the hills between Rawai-Nai Harn but did not see any police directing traffic or whatever they should be doing at times like this. Maybe they were writing tickets at Chalong circle ? Lots of traffic there .

I was wondering were the police was during all this. Went to vieuw point, Rawai beach and the hills between Rawai-Nai Harn but did not see any police directing traffic or whatever they should be doing at times like this. Maybe they were writing tickets at Chalong circle ? Lots of traffic there .

Apparently the cops had a check point of some kind on the big buddha road lower down.

Also saw one of those new little black cars with lights flashing head up the hill at one stage.

Probably running for cover, i remember a few years ago when a elephant panicked

and jumped of the back of a truck near bangla road, everyone ran for cover, the police

running the fastest

went to the family mart today at 7.30am on saiyuan .... closed due to tsunami what a crock of sh.t .... friends businesses have staff missing taking extra day off

because of... you guessed it the massive tsunami we had yesterday ... part of thai culture is any excuse to not work ...

went to the family mart today at 7.30am on saiyuan .... closed due to tsunami what a crock of sh.t .... friends businesses have staff missing taking extra day off

because of... you guessed it the massive tsunami we had yesterday ... part of thai culture is any excuse to not work ...

Couple that with songkran and its a nice extra bludge.

Public awareness is good, but if you took the time to read the reports on TV and elsewhere

and understood what causes tsunami you would understand

When the ocean floor shifts vertically the water drops down to fill the space and then

underwater landslides happen which forces the water back up again and causes tsunamis

The ocean floor shifted horizontally this time

Weather i was here or not last time makes no difference

It's not possible to be there watching whether it is a shear or vertical earthquake. Ergo, getting the hell out of range is the only option till there is info on the net. Don't think I'd be heading for the Big Buddha, but I'd be following the tsunami warning signs to high ground.

There must still be a large number of people irrevocably scarred by the last one. I don't blame them. A bit of a traffic jam is not a lot of inconvenience for the terrified so long as they don't write off lots of people in their haste.

Public awareness is good, but if you took the time to read the reports on TV and elsewhere

When the ocean floor shifts vertically the water drops down to fill the space and then

underwater landslides happen which forces the water back up again and causes tsunamis

It's not possible to be there watching whether it is a shear or vertical earthquake. Ergo, getting the hell out of range is the only option till there is info on the net. Don't think I'd be heading for the Big Buddha, but I'd be following the tsunami warning signs to high ground.

There must still be a large number of people irrevocably scarred by the last one. I don't blame them. A bit of a traffic jam is not a lot of inconvenience for the terrified so long as they don't write off lots of people in their haste.

The perfect example of psycological scarring was the TV clip showing the Muslim girl with absolute terror on her face & in her eyes as she clinged on to her mother/sister.

Yesterday at 5.56pm, in Chalong, the earth did not move but there were definite vibrations lasting about a minute or so from the big aftershock.

The perfect example of psycological scarring was the TV clip showing the Muslim girl with absolute terror on her face & in her eyes as she clinged on to her mother/sister.

Yesterday at 5.56pm, in Chalong, the earth did not move but there were definite vibrations lasting about a minute or so from the big aftershock.

Correct no deaths in Indonesia and it happened in the same place as last time

Where they had 130000 deaths, and i think that picture on TV was in Indonesia

We only found out about it when the Mrs went to the local market at 4.30 PM

After checking the news reports we did not bother leaving the house like a

lot of other local people

I think if it had been a serious threat the Govt would have had loudspeaker

trucks driving around the streets the same as they do for other things like no electricity