Pajero Sport

I was looking at the Pajero Sport at the motor show last week. I liked it looks but would like some comments from those who own one or those who looked and didn't like it and why. The cost is about 1,200,000 baht. I like the quartz brown color. I also looked at the new Trailbazer and didn't care for it, seems a little pricey for what you got, and didn't like it's looks.

Thanks MJCM but I don't even know what chipping is, I am 65 and not Jeff Gordon, I want one that handles well and is a joy to drive at 80 to 100 kpm.. This is really what I want to hear from those who had one.

Edited by Nowhereman60

No problems, but have you read my post? , I've omitted the remarks I made about chipping and ipod

I have a Pajero Sport and I like it, in my opinion it has sufficient power 178 HP.

<omitted remark regarding Chipping>

<omitted remark regarding iPod>

I love that car, it drives really nice and is also economical in Fuel (When i drive to Buriram I easily get 11-12 km a liter) even when flooring it on the Chokchai to Nang Rong stretch

On another note, we have a Honda Jazz and a PJS (PJS stands for Pajero Sport), intentionally we bought the Jazz for the wife to use driving around town etc, and the PJS for traveling distances. but nowadays the Jazz stays home maybe 90% of the time collecting dust, as the wife always takes the PJS. She loves that car also, and it suits me as I now have a chauffeur ;)

Thanks MJCM but I don't even know what chipping is, I am 65 and not Jeff Gordon, I want one that handles well and is a joy to drive at 80 to 100 kpm.. This is really what I want to hear from those who had one.

I don't own one but have driven my brother-in-laws. It's a nice vehicle and has plenty of power, certainly enough to get up to your 100KM/h with no problems. Chipping simply increases the power, but you won't need this by the sound of it. I think it's probably still the pick of the bunch, until the new ford everest comes along. MRO is a poster here and he has one. He might be able to give more insight than me.

It's a big vehicle - do you need the 7 seats? There are other options if you only need 5 seats - such as sedans and pickups (pickups are good value as the tax is lower, but you may not like the uncovered rear). Then there will be some other new 5 seater suv's over the next couple of years, such as the new ford escape, mazda cx-3 and subaru vx. Those are worthy of consideration if you aren't in a hurry for a vehicle.

Do you expect to do a lot of long distance driving or will you mainly stay around town? Just curious to know, as that would impact on my choice.

As mentioned in the other thread we have the 2012 PJS 2WD GT which sounds to be the model you are looking at, also coincidentally in the quartz brown colour that you refer to.

We bought ours as basically a family wagon to accommodate our expanding family. I spend most weekends running kids football teams around so we were looking for plenty of versatility inside as we often end up with plenty of people in the car. This was one of the main selling points for us as the seats all move and fold very easily and this has worked out very well.

It has exceeded my expectations in terms of driving enjoyment and I find the handling and ride quite OK and it to be very comfortable both in town and on trips. The engine can be a little gruff and noisy when cold and at low revs but it smooths out fine and is not really an issue. The new 5 speed transmission in the 2012 model is smooth and works well.

In terms of power I am also not Jeff Gordon or Jack Brabham so I find it more than sufficient. Similar to MJMC we bought a Focus for the missus to have something smaller to run around town, to do the shopping and so on but I find she now more often than not takes the Pajero. It is easy enough for town work and the reversing camera seems to give her the confidence she needed for parking and manoeuvring.

We ordered ours in late January and at that time there was a waiting list through to April (maybe even May). Fortunately though we had a good dealer and they bumped us up to receive our car in early March so we were grateful for that.

In summary, very happy with our choice.

BTW, whilst the styling of the Trailblazer seems popular with most, I tend to agree with your comments. To me it looks like it was designed by two committees, and the two never talked or even sat in the same room. The back of the car does not seem to match with the front three quarters, or maybe it is just me.

BTW, whilst the styling of the Trailblazer seems popular with most, I tend to agree with your comments. To me it looks like it was designed by two committees, and the two never talked or even sat in the same room. The back of the car does not seem to match with the front three quarters, or maybe it is just me.

It's not just you :)