Nokia 6630 Or Nokia 6230i Or...

fanciman

The following Nokias are on sale at jay mart, which one should i get?

Model Price (Baht)

6630 12700

6600 9300

6230i 12500

6670 11900

3230 11700

Others

Sony/Ericson

k700i 8990

k750i 16900

I can't understand the nokia numbering system. The 6230i had good reviews, but the 6630 is a bit more expensive, perhaps it can do some wondrous thing...?

Then again, there is the treo 650, which i liked the look of...but i don't know how expensive that is now, probably too expensive, like the k750i.

I would be happy to get a second hand nokia, if there is a significant price difference. I heard that some places at MBK sell rip off clones that just wont work... does anyone know a reliable second hand place at mbk?

I have the 6230i;

from what I see apart from the camera, it is the same as a 6681, which is another 3 - 4 K.

I like the 6230i, great little phone, now I just gotta learn to drive it properly. It is better if you have a computer and a bluetooth / infrared connection so you can use all the functions

Of course it is a personal choice and depends on what you want to do with the phone if more then make/answer calls.

I had a SE Z600 which my wife managed to drop into our dog's water bowl and really liked it. I just recently bought a SE k750i after reading dozens of reviews of the various phones available. As you said, a little on the expensive side at 15k Baht but the only problem is they left the kitchen sink out of it. :o

2Meg pixel camera autofocus 1632x1224 excellent quality images. Built in flash (can be used as a flashlight also) (mine came with a free xeon flash attachment too) macro mode, timer, etc...

Video clips - not that great, small size

Memory card slot expandable up to 2GB

MP3/video media player

FM radio

Bluetooth

Really great screen 256k colors, bright and very sharp

Speaker phone capable (full hands off)

Voice activated commands and playback (first one I bought where this actually works)

Joystick menu cruise (really like this, just takes a little while to get used to it)

Voice recording for memos

USB connection allowing sync with MS Outlook

Infrared port

Wireless printing (HP)

Folders appear as a flash drive (easy to transfer pictures/mp3 files)

Light weight, reasonable size (fits easy in the pants pocket)

etc...

Probably the main reason I got this model is I wanted another digicam I could carry with me and this one acts and behaves like a standalone digicam. Plus the fact that I have always had good luck with SE. I have no experience with Nokia but a lot of forums are putting them down for not keeping up with technology. On the other hand seems mobile phone users are very loyal to their brands and will diss any other brands regardless.

Edited by tywais

For the OP -

6630 - the phone I own - is a nice piece of equipment and runs symbian60 operating system which has a lot of capability - its memory card is a DVRS-MMC ( dual voltage reduced size multi media card ) , they used to be quite expensive but have dropped in price dramatically - 512meg 1800 odd baht. - to learn to use it properly you will have to do a lot of reading on forums on the internet

6230i - the phone I bought to replace my NGAGE , but ended up swapping with the GF for her 6630 because it ran symbian40 operating system which would not run many of the apps I liked. it is still avery capable phone with EDGE/GPRS and Bluetooth - it take a RS-MMC which are reasonably priced. - one small problem is you cannot assign individual ring tones to numbers unless you set each as a different contact group to which you can assign a tone/mp3 etc , also you cannot listen to the built in radio on the BT earpiece/mic ( though it works with mp3s )

bottom line is - if you are prepared to put the time in to learn about it the 6630 is great otherwise I would stick to the 6230i

and buy your phone at MBK , bargain hard and shop around - save alot of baht verses buying at jaymart.

can anyone recommend a decent phone for around 4000 baht... i want to buy a gift for a friend who has a REALLY OLD phone :o

Moon

if your friend is not fussy about the looks of the phone ( read girl ) and just uses it for phone calls and sms messages get them a nokia 1100 - its a superceeded model ( new one is the 1110 ) but in my oponion is much better and you should be able to get it for 1800-1900baht

i'll second the K750i. I've ben using mine for about 3 months now and absolutely love it.

Great camera and flash, lots of features and plenty of games. Speakers are also really good so it works like a small mp3 stereo player.

I bought mine for under 15k at Imobile so i think those prices in Jaymart are a little on the high side.

A friend bought a second hand Nokia 6610 at MBK and its still going strong 1 year later.

Personally i wouldn't do it myself as i don't want the hassle and worry if something did go wrong, but many people do buy so it can't be that bad.

Probably the one a thieving bitch stole from me a year ago...... :o

The 6681 is 14900THB at J-Mart

I was looking at that one but might go the whole hog and get the N70 for circa 22k instead as mu Crimbo prezzie to myself.

I have had not luck with phones over the last couple of years though with them being nicked etc - only 3 weeks ago I had a D-500 and a Nokia 6210 nicked the same bloody night.

I am getting a D-500 for 5000THB on Sunday though - somebody a pal knows is skint and its brand new but without the box - I just happen to have the box from my stolen one so the GF's Crimbo prezzie is lookng very cheap.

only 3 weeks ago I had a D-500 and a Nokia 6210 nicked the same bloody night.

OWCH!

Gotta ask: had you been drinking?

I have been reading up on the phones. That was good info about the Operating Systems. Symbian 60 seems to be the 'way forward', for a while at least, even though the Symbian 40 phone has better features in some regards (bigger screen, being one important one).

If it gets up to the 20,000 baht level i would go with a O2Xd something or other, or a Treo 650.