Too Soon To Come Back, But It's A Good Year, Thaksin Says

webfact

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am pretty sure that you are aware that he and his wife did everything in the open and did not try to hide that he was the PM smile.png. It seems clear so far that they checked the laws and determined that there was not a conflict of interest, eg: confirmed that the office of the Prime Minister is neither the office in charge of, nor has the authority to direct or supervise the FIDF. At the time of the purchase, given the circumstances stated above, it is very hard to imagine how Thaksin and his wife could have thought they were violating a law at the technical level, much less how it could be that paying the high-bid in an open, transparent, auction where the high bid could be refused if too low, etc, could be construed as an abuse of power.

Where is the abuse of power in that? Where is the corruption in that?

And his defence? "It was an honest mistake!"

He thought he could get away with it. He didn't.

Anyone charged with tax evasion could use the excuse that they did it in the open and their lawyers said it should be OK.

How the bidding was done is irrelevant. Thaksin and his wife shouldn't have been involved in it.

The first statement are your words, not mine.

That last statement is your opinion.

But you fail to state how this is abuse of power or corruption - the "crime" for which he has been convicted. It is not even clear that he really broke any law at all - which is why *some* people consider it a "political" conviction.

So tell me again, I didn't hear it the first time - how is this "corruption" ? Where is the "crime" ? Open auction, transparent, three bids, highest bid, auction has right to decline, FIDF followed the correct process, FIDF not under PM office / control, etc, etc, etc, ...

whistling.gif

I am pretty sure that you are aware that he and his wife did everything in the open and did not try to hide that he was the PM smile.png. It seems clear so far that they checked the laws and determined that there was not a conflict of interest, eg: confirmed that the office of the Prime Minister is neither the office in charge of, nor has the authority to direct or supervise the FIDF. At the time of the purchase, given the circumstances stated above, it is very hard to imagine how Thaksin and his wife could have thought they were violating a law at the technical level, much less how it could be that paying the high-bid in an open, transparent, auction where the high bid could be refused if too low, etc, could be construed as an abuse of power.

Anyone charged with tax evasion could use the excuse that they did it in the open and their lawyers said it should be OK.

How the bidding was done is irrelevant. Thaksin and his wife shouldn't have been involved in it.

But you fail to state how this is abuse of power or corruption - the "crime" for which he has been convicted. It is not even clear that he really broke any law at all - which is why *some* people consider it a "political" conviction.

So tell me again, I didn't hear it the first time - how is this "corruption" ? Where is the "crime" ? Open auction, transparent, three bids, highest bid, auction has right to decline, FIDF followed the correct process, FIDF not under PM office / control, etc, etc, etc, ...

whistling.gif

Evidence was heard in Court, and the accused didn't bother to show up to defend himself.

He was therefore convicted. He had a chance to appeal. He didn't bother.

This trumps the argument of any armchair legal eagles, don't you think?

Edited by NewlyMintedThai

whistling.gif

The last statement is the courts opinion. According to the laws, he shouldn't have been involved in financial transactions involving government departments. The FIDF wasn't under control of the PM office, but it was under indirect control of the PM and the government.

It is irrelevant how it was bought because he wasn't allowed to buy it.

whistling.gif

Evidence was heard in Court, and the accused didn't bother to show up to defend himself.

Now now, you make Thaksin look like a loafer, don't forget that he took the trouble of attempting to bribe the court.

whistling.gif

Now now, you make Thaksin look like a loafer, don't forget that he took the trouble of attempting to bribe the court.

Oh, yes -- how could one forget the "cake box". And his supporters have the chutzpah to whinge about "fair trials"...

The Thais, that is the majority of Thais have already decided and always believed in Thaksin. Why do you think his sister is PM, because the majority voted for her because of who she is the sister of. The sad fact is that the country is split between the majority (the poor Thai people) and the minority ( the power hungry rich elite) who think that the poor are their servants and incapable of voting because they believe they are uneducated buffalos.

Absolute twaddle, I know plenty of Red Shirts who understand very well just what a self serving scumbag Thaksin really is. They still vote for PTP becuase they really hate the Dems and the Hi So's, who they know will not do anything for them. It's very much a case of which bunch of thieving scumbags do you want to vote for. For most they know that the Big T has given them something, 30 baht health care, housing whereas historically the Dems did nothing. I understand why people vote for PTP but to claim that they all want Thaksin back is complete rubbish.

The 30 Bath health care became the 0 Baht scheme under the Dems.

A long self exiled, popular leader, Thaksin would come back tomorrow if the democrat party agreed to reconcile but they don't. They're using the Thaksin returning issue as a bargaining chip, because they know if Thaksin returns they haven't got a chance of re-election in the next general election. Oh and what are they bargaining for, well to stay out of jail for crimes of ordering the shooting of red shirts two years ago.

There are none so blind as those who will not see.

I still think a re-trial would be the best solution for reconciliation or to have his sentence reduced to a fine.

Let's use the Swedish (?) model where fines are proportional to a person's nett worth. This stops small fines allowing richer persons to be scofflaws. 20% should be fair.

How much do you think is right for his terrorism charge, for the insurrection he funded? Give me the price of a human life, multiply it by 93.

Better make it big, or someone might make an offer for yours.

OK, several replies and not one person can say how it was abuse of power or corruption.

point noted...

cool.png

Why should anyone stoop to justify a long-existing Thai law? It was there, he or his advisers should have known of it (ignorance of the law is NOT an excuse), but he and his wife broke that law because they thought that they could avoid the consequences. tough TIT.

Nelson Mandela was a fugitive once, look what happened there.

Dear God...please tell me that someone didn't just compare Thaksin to Nelson Mandela.

By now I'm pretty sure this is a trolling act.

• Like 2

OK, several replies and not one person can say how it was abuse of power or corruption.

point noted...

cool.png

You mean apart from breaking the law that expressly forbade government officials of their families from being involved personally in business transactions involving the government?

Well as much as I'd like to see a resolution of the Thaksin problem so the country can get back to normal our hero hasn't exactly helped the situation has he? By lying about his assets, his blatant tax avoidance, his Shin deal with Burmese military junta paid for by the Thai people, attempting to bribe judges, going on the run, a list just goes on it means even if he went back to court he is virtually undefendable.

Edited by bigbamboo

"Too soon to come back" might be interpreted as "not soon enough to come back".

All of a sudden hodes of Pheu Thai MP's, government officials and the like start to 'push' for reconciliation, amnesty, 'no need for dialogue', 'let's do it now'.

One gets somehow the impression that the "Thaksin travelling show" over Songkhran was somewhat less of a success as some expected

You guys are beautiful, you shifted the status of hatred for Thaksin from fugitive to terrorist. Whats after terrorist? Fear tactics being used on a Thai forum.

This lot are quite capable of painting him as Bin Laden or Hitler reincarnate..........

point noted...

cool.png

You mean apart from breaking the law that expressly forbade government officials of their families from being involved personally in business transactions involving the government?

Well as much as I'd like to see a resolution of the Thaksin problem so the country can get back to normal our hero hasn't exactly helped the situation has he? By lying about his assets, his blatant tax avoidance, his Shin deal with Burmese military junta paid for by the Thai people, attempting to bribe judges, going on the run, a list just goes on it means even if he went back to court he is virtually undefendable.

Your opening sentence.

Which law was that then ???

Care to cite it it ?

point noted...

cool.png

Why should anyone stoop to justify a long-existing Thai law? It was there, he or his advisers should have known of it (ignorance of the law is NOT an excuse), but he and his wife broke that law because they thought that they could avoid the consequences. tough TIT.

"anyone" should perhaps do their homework to justify why they call Thaksin a criminal and tout the fact that he is a fugitive from "justice" for "abuse of power" due to this particular conviction which all you guys have.

"ignorance" of the law is not being pushed here by anyone except you. It looks like Thaksin and his wife did their homework and determined that what looked legal was legal. The FIDF committee itself had to approve each potential bidder before the auction. In addition, prior to signing, it was confirmed that the office of the Prime Minister is neither the office in charge of, nor has the authority to direct or supervise the FIDF.

I mentioned this earlier, perhaps you missed it.

So no, ignorance of the law was not the case as you implied. It was checked before the signature. Everything was - at the time - done according to the law. The 5/4 conviction ruling 5 years later is the only ruling that says what he did was illegal.

And signing his name as spousal consent as required by Thai law for ones wife to pay the highest bidding price in an open, public auction really, really really doesn't sound like abuse of power to me. Especially since it was verified beforehand.

But no one has stepped forward to say why this is abuse of power... OK, point well taken.

point noted...

cool.png

You misunderstand this government's position. They wish to have all charges and verdicts quashed, then to be re-investigated and retried. Of course, due to missing evidence and a very liberal and friendly view of offence, no charges will be laid, and no defence necessary.

Look at the Yingluk perjury case. The totally independent DSI has decided that lying in court is not perjury as long as you are not the defendant - beyond common logic, and quite different to the opinion of a judge IMO, BUT WE WILL NEVER KNOW, because a case won't be brought before a judge.

Thaksin's charges will face a similar fate.