High Octane Fuel

Rhiwfawr

Um id suggest getting your carb checked/cleaned, as I have have run 95 octane fuel in my CRF450R, KX250F, WR250F, the compression on my kxf was 13.5:1 if I remember correctly and it ran fine,,

check that bike man!!

Not as far as I am aware that the stations sell anything above 95, some of the race teams have access to AVGAS, but i dont think this is available to just anyone, however if you can locate PTT headquarters in BKK it maybe worth a try if really want high octane fuel. however I think your bike should run fine on 95..

Edited by sundaypsychos

No intention to hijack this about higher powered bikes, but I've begun wondering if there are any long term effects of using 95 instead of 91 in my Yamaha Nouvo Elegance. I have noticed, I'm sure, that for some strange reason, 95 is selling for several baht cheaper than 91, and at some time in the past, when 91 wasn't available and I did use 95, seemed to get better mileage and maybe a bit better kick from it.

But what about using it long term, in effect, as long as the price differential warrants it?

No intention to hijack this about higher powered bikes, but I've begun wondering if there are any long term effects of using 95 instead of 91 in my Yamaha Nouvo Elegance. I have noticed, I'm sure, that for some strange reason, 95 is selling for several baht cheaper than 91, and at some time in the past, when 91 wasn't available and I did use 95, seemed to get better mileage and maybe a bit better kick from it.

But what about using it long term, in effect, as long as the price differential warrants it?

Red 95 must have alcohol in it. I used Shell Red 95 in my Mio and it ran like sh1t. After cleaning the fuel system and carby I have been running on Caltex Red 91 for months without problem.

Thanks for the advice

I was running 91 under advice and it was a bugger to start ! Im getting the carb cleaned and hopefully the 95 will sort the problem

biggrin.png

I do not think changing to a higher octane will help the starting problem. Probably the low speed or idle circuit is partial blocked or the batch of fuel you have has been cut with something else.

What the psycho said check, clean the carb.