Full Suspension Bikes In Bkk

cm das

Hi everyone. I'll be heading down to BKK soon to look for a full suspension bike (it seems none of the shops in Chiang Mai actually stock these bikes - I could order one but for some reason I want to actually sit on, if not ride, a bike before I drop more than 50k Baht on it). Can anyone recommend a shop or an area of BKK with several shops where I might find a selection of different makes & models? Or a shop that comes especially recommended for any reason? I've checked the list of shops on Bicycle Thailand but for my particular question, and given my unfamiliarity with BKK in general, it's not that helpful. I'm not partial to any particular company really, just looking for a good bike at a decent price. Thanks.

This "Stumpy" doesn't looks nice only cm das, it rides like in a dream and make me completely forgot my age... smile.png and is price too whistling.gif.

Price range in the US is around 2,800.- Dollars and I pay 90,000.-THB which is slightly higher.

post-70768-0-72634800-1334804689_thumb.j

post-70768-0-91967700-1334804913_thumb.j

Thanks, ad61. That's what I was afraid of. I'm really hoping to keep the price under around 70k. I know my choices might be limited but it looks like there are a few decent bikes in Bangkok going for less than yours. On the other hand, when the right bike calls to you sometimes you have to dig a little deeper.

• 3 weeks later...

So just to close out my story, I came down to Bangkok for 1 day and visited 5 bike shops (along with the Ducati & Triumph dealers). I saw & liked many bikes. The Cannondales looked sweet but the frame wasn’t right for me & at over 100k the price wasn’t really either. The Specialized Epic at Sport Bicycle was a thing of beauty & I was sorely tempted, despite the 100k price, but I decided I didn’t like the idea of the brain shock, which automatically locks out the rear shock when you’re pedaling. The close runner up was a Giant Anthem X4 at World Bike. From all the reviews I read and my short test ride I believe that the Giant would have been a solid choice, but the Marin East Peak 5.5 over at Bike Zone was the one that really spoke to me. It also happened to be the cheapest! Here it is in its new home, the trails outside Chiang Mai.

DSC04797.jpg

The first ride was very satisfying. I didn’t push myself or the bike too much. Suspension, brakes & steering were all great on the rolling terrain. Shifting was not always butter smooth, more like crunchy peanut butter few times, but it got there & I’m sure with some tweaking that will get better. If not I can use some of the money I saved on some upgrades.

In the end I was pleased with the shops in Bangkok. The selection was good and the prices weren’t outrageous. In most cases I found the owners & staff more friendly than at the shops in Chiang Mai. Certainly Fausto at Bike Zone has been nice to deal with.

Congrats, have fun with your new bike. I wish i would be there up in the north. Must be a dream for cycling and riding motorbike. Here in BKK its all a bit boring.

Yes, Fausto is a nice guy. I bought a Marin Hardtail three months ago at Bikezone. Good bikes in Thailand are all a bit expensive. Hope this changes in future when more Thai people start cycling smile.png

Nice looking bike, I’m always jealous when someone gets a new bike…..A bit like when one of my mates gets a new girlfriend. I got an EX5 from ‘Probike’ via ‘Jackie’s’ here in Chiangmai about a year ago.

Starting to look around for something new, I like ‘ad61’s’ stumpjumper, and your Marin looks nice. I’ll just keep looking for now.

If you ever want to hook-up for a ride-out in Mae Taeng, drop me a PM.

Enjoy your new bike.

Tonto

Congratulation cm das! your new bike looks fantastic; too sad i'm not living in Chiang mai as we could ride along with Tonto, Junglechef and yourself...

Enjoy your new "babe" wink.png