Buy A Bike?

Sirone

So if you know any place in Pattaya to buy a good bike, new or second hand? Please write the address or where about? And do you know the rules to ride a bike in Pattaya, do you need helmet by law or not?

can you use copy of your driver license?

Is usually accepted, BUT if the police-officer doesn't have his day, he may ask for the original.

Same for passport: If you carry a copy, take care that you also copy your visa page, stamps page and departure card.

For the International DL: This is a translation of your original DL and both should be on hand when asked for.

can you use copy of your driver license?

Legally no. You need a valid International or Thai drivers license. Fines seem to vary from ฿200 up to ฿1,000. It's sometimes negotiable, depending on where you pay it and your attitude.

On Thepprasit Road nearer the Sukhumvit end there is a couple of bicycle shops, more or less opposite each other that sell new bikes.

I'd actually be interested to know where to get a decent 2nd hand bicycle too.

as already mentioned 3 good bike shops on Theprasit Road...also check classified ads on Thai Visa ...BUT...I would never buy 2nd hand - these days 10,000 baht gets you all you need for the Pattaya/Jomtien area roads...I considered a "road bike" new name for a racing bike... but the drains and bumps and lumps are not good for a bike on 18mm wide tyres. Reference helmets and the law on a bicycle ...not sure..I wear one sometimes and sometimes not and the police don't seem to have any interest with foreingers on bicycles...I know that I prefer the bicycle to any other form of road transport on Thai roads...just drove to darkest Issan and back over Sawnkran and it was utter madness in a car...

on a bike I seem to have more visibility and more time to anticipate what is happening around me...