Google To Drop Sync Support For BlackBerry

webfact

Google to Drop Sync Support for Blackberry

Alex Williams

Can you smell blood in the water? It looks like Google does. In a blog post released today, the company announced that on June 1, it will drop support for Google Sync for BlackBerry.

The news came as part of what Google calls a “spring cleaning.” It looks more like a power play. Blackberry market share is dropping. Stopping support means that customers who use the syncing service will have to find other ways to access Google. While e-mail will presumably still be available via the Blackberry’s browser, it would obviously be easier to just buy an Android phone. [more...]

Full story: http://servicesangle...for-blackberry/

-- SERVICES ANGLE 2012-04-21

footer_n.gif

Hmmm....time to dump my blackberry.

Any suggestions from fellow readers on best android phone for receiving gmails?

I've got a Samsung galaxy mini which works great for emails including gMail and is generally very good for Internet browsing!

I noticed that they have set up WebDAV which allows calendar and contact syncing with things like OS X, Mozilla and other WebDav (CalDAV & CardDAV) compatible software. I just set my computer (I don't have a smartphone) and it's working pretty good.

There is probably an email program (or can download to use) on your BlackBerry that would allow you to use those features. Anyhow, they just said that they will not allow you to download the App not stop allowing those who have it already will not be able to use it. However, they said that they are still going to have the "Google Apps Connector for BlackBerry Enterprise Server" (which will be installed on your BlackBerry server by your company).

It seems like the the title is a little sensationalist. They will not support the feature but will continue to allow you to use it.

Edited by horsewell