Three Arrested In Beating Death Of British Tourist

cdnvic

mogoso, you're the one that is ignorant with your response. Grow up and show some kind of respect for the dead and you might even learn how to spell words you don't know.

1 entry found for denizens.

den·i·zen  Audio pronunciation of "denizens" ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (dn-zn)

n.

1. An inhabitant; a resident: denizens of Monte Carlo.

2. One that frequents a particular place: a bar and its denizens.

3. Ecology. An animal or a plant naturalized in a region.

4. Chiefly British. A foreigner who is granted rights of residence and sometimes of citizenship.

I

I see you went to Dictionary.com try scrooling down to the Merriam-webster definition you'll see it as N inhabitant. As I have a pocket Merriam- webster on my desk its the one I use. Before you call someone ignorant, look in the mirror

For those of you who lose sight of the subject so quickly (we are talking about the tragic death of a British citizen) and insist on bashing the Yanks at every conceivable opportunity: at least get your stats right.

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T/cri_mur_cap

I'm not proud of the violence in the USA, but the per capata murder rate in Thailand is twice that of the USA.

Why don't you save your venom for another string and discuss the issue at hand?

Whatever his trade or occupation, there was no judge or jury that sentenced this man to death. My sympathies are with his family.

~WISteve

For those of you who lose sight of the subject so quickly (we are talking about the tragic death of a British citizen) and insist on bashing the Yanks at every conceivable opportunity:  at least get your stats right.

I'm not proud of the violence in the USA, but the per capata murder rate in Thailand is twice that of the USA.

Why don't you save your venom for another string and discuss the issue at hand?B]

Whatever his trade or occupation, there was no judge or jury that sentenced this man to death.  My sympathies are with his family.

~WISteve

Am I missing something here.I must be blind.Nobody has been bashing Yanks, although from the posts you deserve to be....Christ, you guys really take the cake.

Please show me where the bashing has taken place?

This was from an american chap..is this bashing. :o

Whist many argue the itelligence of the denezens of The US. It seems that among the many visitors to LOS, they're less likely to "fall" off balconeys, either hammer someone or get hammered to death, die in a motorcycle accident, have the misfortune to stand under the wrong coconut tree or any other natural or unnatural misfortune.

Says a lot for being ignorant. 

From Stickman's weekly: December 18 2005

A very nasty fight broke out in the Nana Hotel car park on Monday night and eye witness reports have it that a farang had the crap beaten out of him by a Thai. He was hit a few times and fell to the ground where he was pounded until unconscious. Medical help was sought and he was hauled into an ambulance and rushed away for treatment. But the story does not end there and the usual story of perpetrator just disappear away into the crowd was not to be... The thug ran across the road, and misjudging his getaway was hit by a car! And in what turned out to be poetic justice, he was hurt so badly that he couldn't get up! The boys in brown were soon on the scene and the thug was duly arrested and taken away to the local cop shop where he had a lot of explaining to do. The motorbike boys on the corner of soi 4, themselves a hard bunch, were shaking their heads at what this guy had done, saying that he went way too far. The rumour mill has it that the farang died, but this is something I have been unable to confirm at this stage.

Does anyone have any additional information about this?

Edited by bulmercke

Laborers.  Expect justice to be swift. 

:o

My sympathies to the victim's family and friends. 

Unlike the police officer in Kanchanaburi, I think that three Thai laborers will be treated in a much less compassionate and understanding manner. 

BTW, I've been here a number of years and the crimes against foreigners does seem to be increasing.  There has always been some murders, but now it is much more common.  Also, the violent attacks are definitely on the rise.  Very, very seldom did you hear about someone getting "mugged" violently, which now happens often enough that many cases don't make it into the news.  Years back there were a lot of cons--jewels, etc. and some innovative ways of talking foreigners out of their money.  There was the usual dose of "druggings" in bars etc, but the victims experienced only a headache and very light wallet.

Viloence in general will increase with population increases. The world is getting more crowded, as the proxemics getting smaller..So yes, violence would naturally increase, though definately not limited to foreigners in Thailand. However, your exposure to media has also increased, so than it's easy to jump to the conclusion that such cases are on the increase as you didn't have email notification of foreigners' murder in LOS ten years ago, as you do now.

i recall that 2 english girls were murdered on Ko Chang back in the late 80s.

there was a huge manhunt and some fishermen were found to have done the crime.

Does anybody ever think outside the box? I guess I'm a minority in Thaivisa who doesn't trust the initial motives/word of law enforcement authorities...

Perhaps these guys are guilty for this Elizabethan Crumpet's murder just as those fishermen were for the two lassies, :D but perhaps, it's a set up. Nobody seems to question that. And I'm not getting into some conspiracy theory. You know how easy it would be for the police to interogate/manipulate some teenage ya-ba addicts into a 'confession'. Don't you all find it odd that nearly every foriegn murder in Thailand, there is either a suspect, confesion, and/or arrest within 24 hours. Why isn't justice so swift with Thai murders? What evidence are we talking about? DNA? Witnesses? Word of mouth? These Thai investigators must be getting handsome salaries to be so diligent...Then again, how often is there a mistrial, misunderstanding, wrong arrest, etc. where face of the police handling/procedures was lost and exposed??

100 Euros? Split between three, that's like 1500-1600 baht each, 5 pills of ya ba each..(assuming they are addicts) People have killed for less, sure, but I still have problems with Thai police credibility, especially when foreign relations are involved.. If it were my kin, I'd prefer a full out investigation, and would be weary of arrests and confession within hours, especially since there aren't any (given) eye witness accounts, evidence, etc..

Kind of agree with the bar competition motive more. that's just me

cheers

For those of you who lose sight of the subject so quickly (we are talking about the tragic death of a British citizen) and insist on bashing the Yanks at every conceivable opportunity:  at least get your stats right.

I just had a look at the murder stats sight and find it absolutely fascinating that Canada's per Capita murder rate is almost exactly a THIRD of the US's.

Didn't Michael Moore do a documentary comparing the two countries? Finding that in Canada doors were left unlocked and so on?

This is just an extraordinarily huge difference for countries that are so similar in many ways.

I'm afraid it says something extremely damning. Perhaps the government of the US should be sub-contracted to Canada....it would obviously be a great improvement.

From Stickman's weekly: December 18 2005

A very nasty fight broke out in the Nana Hotel car park on Monday night and eye witness reports have it that a farang had the crap beaten out of him by a Thai.  He was hit a few times and fell to the ground where he was pounded until unconscious.  Medical help was sought and he was hauled into an ambulance and rushed away for treatment.  But the story does not end there and the usual story of perpetrator just disappear away into the crowd was not to be...  The thug ran across the road, and misjudging his getaway was hit by a car!  And in what turned out to be poetic justice, he was hurt so badly that he couldn't get up!  The boys in brown were soon on the scene and the thug was duly arrested and taken away to the local cop shop where he had a lot of explaining to do.  The motorbike boys on the corner of soi 4, themselves a hard bunch, were shaking their heads at what this guy had done, saying that he went way too far.  The rumour mill has it that the farang died, but this is something I have been unable to confirm at this stage.

Does anyone have any additional information about this?

I didn't see the actual incident, but was there about 5 minutes after it happened. I saw the guy laying on the street. about 3 vehicles from the hospital came to pick him up.

later that night, while hanging out with some friends, I saw some farangs looking at some motorcycles parked in the nana hotel parking lot. out of curiousity, I asked them what they were looking for. 2 of the guys told me that the motorcycle they were looking at was the motorcycle of the guy who beat up the farang. are you sure? I asked. they said yes. they pointed to a crack in the motorcycle where he ran into the guy. I said really?

I then asked if they had seen the face of the guy who hit the guy. they replied yes. 2 police came by on motorcycles, and the 3 guys reported this info to the police. curious to see who the owner of the motorcycle might be, I waited for about 30 minutes. but nobody came.

got hungry so went to get a snack. when I got back, the motorcycle was gone. as were the 3 guys, and the police.

that's all I know.

oh. one last thing. the number on the motorcycle license plate was 2443.

does anyone know if the injured guy is ok?

Condolences to Mr Hall's family.

This is really not helping the country's reputation; murders, muggings, stabbings, deaths on public transport, rip offs, cons.  Bad news.  Is it me or does this type of happening seem to be increasing ever more rapidly?

I have lived here twelve years and there definitely appears to be a trend which indicates that more and more foreigners are being assaulted and murdered for whatever reason - although judging from some of the comments previously posted on this forum, I know that some members will disagree.

Only a personal view, but depressingly and worryingly not too far off the mark, I fear!

(sierra01 - my parents live in Yapton - just a few miles from Bognor - was in Bognor last March - bought a portion of chips on a very cold and deserted beachfront - reminiscent of what Stalingrad must have been like in that terrible winter of 1941)

So Mr Chuchok,

"Am I missing something here.I must be blind.Nobody has been bashing Yanks, although from the posts you deserve to be....Christ, you guys really take the cake.

"

--------------------------------------------

Try page two of this string:

""Yes it's on the increase. Thailand is obviously trying to catch up with the rest of the world on this. They have a long way to go though. Pehaps if it increases 100 fold then we may catch sight of America's tail." "

Soooooo...are you blind or just choose not to read?

And it's a gross exageration as well, but we wouldn't want to let the facts get in the way of our usual feeding frenzy, would we?

"Didn't Michael Moore do a documentary comparing the two countries? Finding that in Canada doors were left unlocked and so on?"

Using Michael Moore as your source of "fact" tells a lot about you, but I live in rural America and we leave our doors open too actually. I fully recognize that there is a serious problem here with violence, particularly in urban areas, but that still has NOTHING TO DO with the death of this British citizen in Thailand.

This is so completely off topic, along with sleepyjohn's little lecture.

But it seems some of you are so intent on USA bashing you don't even recognize it anymore. WHAT does the incidence of violence in the USA have to do with this murder in Thailand?

So either read or get out your white cane please....

~WISteve

Edited by WISteve

sierra01 apologies - thanks for your PM - tried to reply but got the following communication:

Personal Message to 'sierra01 - many thanks for the e-mail and good luck with the visa.' will fail because 'sierra01 - many thanks for the e-mail and good luck with the visa.' does not exist!

Personal Message to 'actually, i have to agree with you..... although my comments were a little bit derogatory.... of bognor....still have a fondnesss for the place.' will fail because 'actually, i have to agree with you..... although my comments were a little bit derogatory.... of bognor....still have a fondnesss for the place.' does not exist!

Personal Message to 'my home town is littlehampton, where i lived and worked for many years....engineering.....iec ltd.....etc.' will fail because 'my home town is littlehampton, where i lived and worked for many years....engineering.....iec ltd.....etc.' does not exist!

Personal Message to 'i have a thai wife and a twelve year old step son. my parents visited us in october.' will fail because 'i have a thai wife and a twelve year old step son. my parents visited us in october.' does not exist!

Personal Message to 'anyway mate....keep in touch.... i'll look out for you on this forum....and perhaps we can meet up for a drink in the not too distant future......here in bkk......' will fail because 'anyway mate....keep in touch.... i'll look out for you on this forum....and perhaps we can meet up for a drink in the not too distant future......here in bkk......' does not exist!

Personal Message to 'happy new year and .....' will fail because 'happy new year and .....' does not exist!

Personal Message to 'kind regards......' will fail because 'kind regards......' does not exist!

This personal message has not been sent

Thaivisa admin....please clarify.

So Mr Chuchok,

"Am I missing something here.I must be blind.Nobody has been bashing Yanks, although from the posts you deserve to be....Christ, you guys really take the cake.

"

--------------------------------------------

Try page two of this string:

""Yes it's on the increase. Thailand is obviously trying to catch up with the rest of the world on this. They have a long way to go though. Pehaps if it increases 100 fold then we may catch sight of America's tail." "

Soooooo...are you blind or just choose not to read?

And it's a gross exageration as well, but we wouldn't want to let the facts get in the way of our usual feeding frenzy, would we?

Yes Steve, I missed that one.It was posted after Mogoso posted this,

Whist many argue the itelligence of the denezens of The US. It seems that among the many visitors to LOS, they're less likely to "fall" off balconeys, either hammer someone or get hammered to death, die in a motorcycle accident, have the misfortune to stand under the wrong coconut tree or any other natural or unnatural misfortune.

Says a lot for being ignorant.

That's why it started..trivial I know. :o

To be honest with you Chuchok, I'm not at all certain what mogoso is getting on about. I guess paraphrased he's saying something about "we Americans aren't as stupid as you are saying", but no one had stated that (yet, anyway.... :o ). Just a distraction IMO.

I DO find the opinions of the long time residents both interesting and informative, i.e. the trends in crime directed towards foreign residents. Since I plan to be living in Thailand myself in a couple years, it is important to me.

I didn't mean to go off on you in an uncivil manner.

But then, I wasn't cussing at you either.

It's good that we hear about these sad events in a forum like this. I just hope we don't hear about them too often.

~WISteve

here is a story of a few of a serial killers victims in LOS back in the 70s

Sobhraj remains the number one suspect in the Bikini Murders that took place in Thailand in 1975.

One of his first victim in Thailand was Teresa Knowlton, a Seattle woman who had traveled to Bangkok on her way to Kathmandu; she was planning to study Tibetan Buddhism at Kopan Monastery. Knowlton met Sobhraj and he reportedly offered to take her to Pattaya Beach. Like many of Sobhraj's victims, her body burnt. Sobhraj is supposed to have confessed specifically to the Knowlton murder to an Australian journalist, .

Jennie Bollivar was killed not much later. Bollivar was an American who as come to Thailand to "find herself through meditation and immersion into a Buddhist lifestyle." Sobhraj had attempted to bring her into his "family" and she'd refused. Sobhraj is thought to have killed her to prevent her from telling police about his smuggling activities. Bollivar was found, wearing her flowered bikini (thus, the "Bikini Murders"), in the Gulf of Thailand near the resort town of Pattaya.

In December of 1975 Charmayne Carrou, a French woman, was found like Bollivar. The death earlier of her boyfriend, Vitali Hakim, was also later connected to Sobhraj. A Dutch couple, Henk Bintanja and Cornelia Hemker, died around the same time shortly after meeting Sobhraj in Hong Kong and following him to Bangkok. Like Hakim, the Dutch couple's bodies were burnt.

Sobhraj is thought to have left Bangkok for Kathmandu at this point, using Bintanja's passport.

In all, Sobhraj is implicated in at least 10 murders in Thailand in 1975.

But Sobhraj isn't Thai, he's Vietnamese- French, he fled Thailand for India and Nepal, fearing execution here.

Edited by bannork

Is it just my imagination, or do the deaths of foreigners in Thailand seem to be on the increase?  :o

YES , seems to be more than usual. I think it may have something to do with the holiday season. Some people on the other hand just ask for trouble. Don't wear flashing clothes / jewelery or it may attract attention.

I have lived here twelve years and there definitely appears to be a trend which indicates that more and more foreigners are being assaulted and murdered for whatever reason - although judging from some of the comments previously posted on this forum, I know that some members will disagree.

There has always been a great deal of violence in Thailand, mostly Thai on Thai violence. In the past 20+ years here I lost the best man at my wedding (cause of dispute unknown) , a local kamnaan who I was good friends with (land dispute with agribusiness), a tambon bicycle ice cream man (love triangle), an American drinking pal who simply disappeared (cause of dispute unknown), young family friend (another love triangle), neighbor woman (yet another love triangle shot by second husband while visiting kids from first husband), murder suicide of neighbor husband and wife (another triangle). And I have forgotten a few others that were not so close to myself or the family. The only thing that has changed are the number of Farangs both living or visiting this Kingdom, interacting within this society which has always had a very violent streak beneath the smiling veneer of mai pen rai.