Smile Analysis

Buff-horns

Saturday, December 24, 2005

Thai Culture - The 'Land of Smiles'

Travel brochures often portrays Thailand as the happy-go-lucky 'Land of Smiles', an impression the Tourism Authority of Thailand are more than happy to go along with. Most visitors will even see a sign welcoming them to the 'Land of Smile' (sic) in the airport before they've even cleared immigration. Though the famous Thai smile is not so common in Bangkok nowadays, you'll certainly understand why this slogan has stuck for so long if you spend any length of time in the more rural parts of Thailand. Even in Bangkok, you can smile at any Thai person and it's pretty rare you won't get a smile back in return.

New visitors often assume that the Thais are a very friendly and happy people, but this is a bit of an oversimplification. After all, many of the Thais they meet may well be working long hours in relatively menial jobs and earning less than $200 a month - do they really have so much to smile about ?

The reason is there's a much broader range of uses for smiling in Thailand, some of which would be considered as inappropriate or even as rude in the west. For example, if a Thai bumps into you in a bar and spills some of your drink, he'll probably smile - a reaction that is unlikely to go down well with the average foreigner.

But the smile (yim in Thai) is perceived in Thailand as being just about the most appropriate reaction to any possible situation. It's used to show happiness, embarrassment, fear, tension, resignation, remorse etc...What the smile means depends on the 'type' being used.

ยิ้มทักทาย

(Yim Tak Tai - Greeting Smile)

The polite smile used for strangers or people you barely know.

ฟืนยิ้ม

(Feun Yim - Firewood Smile)

The "I'm-being-forced-to-smile-even-though-I-don't-want-to" smile

ยิ้มเชือดเฉือน

(Yim Chueat Chuean - Cut to the heart of smile )

The smile a winner gives to a losing rival

ยิ้มทักท่าน

(Yim Tak Tan- )

The "Sorry-but-you're-wrong-and-I'm-right" smile.

ยิ้มทั่งน้ำตา

(Ying Tang Nam Dtah - Anvil-Tears-Smile )

Used when you're really happy, the "I've-just-won-the-lottery" smile

ยิ้มเศร้า

(Yim Sao - Sad Smile)

The smile used to mask feelings of sadness or unhappyness.

ยิ้มมีเลส์นัย

(Yim Mee Le Nai)

The smile used to conceal evil ideas, AKA the "I'm-smiling-because-I'm-about-to-rip-you-off-and-you-don't-realize" smile

ยิ้มชืนชม

(Yim Cheun Chom - Complimenting Smile)

The smile used when you are impressed with or admire someone.

ยิ้มเยาะ

(Yim Yor - Mocking Smile)

The smile used to mock, taunt or laugh at someone.

ยิ้มแหยๆ

(Yim Yair-Yair - Timid Smile )

The smile used to apologize and to take the heat out of potentially awkward or embarrassing situations.

ยิ้มแห้ง

(Yim Hairng)

Literally the 'dry smile', this i a nervous and apologetic smile. AKA the "Sorry-we-forgot-your-luggage-but-please-don't-get-angry-with-me" smile.

ยิ้มสู่

(Yim Soo - Towards Smile)

The "my-situation-is-so-bad-I-might-as-well-smile" smile

Link

posted by Magnoy's Samsara @ Saturday, December 24, 2005

http://magnoysamsara.blogspot.com/2005/12/...-of-smiles.html