I Think I Have Reached The Age Where...

JRA

It's true, I'm only 46 but I am finding myself a bit thick and scared of what seems like "everyday technolgy" many of us use in the world today.

I remeber 15 or so years ago trying to explain the web to my father and he wanted no part of it then, now at 70 he's on facebook or some other site back in America looking for love. My thought then was his love of guns and being able to find anything. This got me thinking about change or adapting to our new world, as it seems I feel more comfortable in things that aren't so new.

One example I have is Apple: In 2006, I purchased an ipod and figured out how to download my cds but until the past few months I had never purchased music online because I was more intimidated because I really not know what I was doing since I added my music CDs 6 years ago. In fact, I have started to use itunes to download podcasts for free because I like to listen to Seattle Sports Radio when I exercise (mainly anything University of Washington but any of my locals teams back in Seattle). My point? I hadn't done this mainly due to fear. Fear as in, oh man I'm thick and learning this new stuff intimidates the hell out of me and was wondering if many people out there were like me when it comes to routers, wireless internet at home, programming the TV remote?

In 2012 my world has been opened up to podcasts but now I have a new problem and was hoping someone could answer a iphone question for me since I have done a few searchs here on TV and even google without any luck. So before I ask my technology question let me share how much I enjoy listening to podcasts and why. Since we all live here in Thailand, I suggest giving your local (back home) radio stations a try so you can enjoy some flavor from back home here in Thailand. As I said, at 46 I seem thick compared to before and am having trouble finding an answer to my iphone 4 question, not 4S, but wanted to share my new found enjoyment while trying to open a dialogue for those that share my increasing uneasyness with technology.

Since I dropped my old unlocked iphone in the waterfall last fall I have been using my house phone because I purchased my buddies iphone 4 when I went home to America during Christmas. He bought the new 4S and since his iphone 4 was less than 6 months old he gave to me but it used to be on a AT&T contract, although he just transfer the contract to his new iphone 4S...so my question is this? Has anyone had their iphone 4 unlocked here in Chiang Mai and where? Also the SIM card is not the same as my older iphone as it looks to be about half the size. I love the iphone and use for my music and photos but for the past 3 months I have no idea what to do or when and if I can use my iphone 4 as an actual phone again? Thank you in advance, John

Edited by JRA

I feel your pain but I don't feel there is any relevence to Chiang Mai! Please move to a more suitable forum. cool.pngwai.gif

If you read the post you would see the relevence to Chiangmai.....

...so my question is this? Has anyone had their iphone 4 unlocked here in Chiang Mai and where? Also the SIM card is not the same as my older iphone as it looks to be about half the size.

I feel your pain but I don't feel there is any relevence to Chiang Mai! Please move to a more suitable forum. cool.pngwai.gif

I don't know about that...... he is in Chiang Mai for better or worse and is looking for someone in CM that he may be able to relate to with his problem...... Seems like the CM forum is the best place for his post......Do not think it would be very easy for him to sit down with someone in Phuket for a coffee and discussion on IPhones. I would submit leaving it in the CM Forum

Really? wow...I see people ask questions for all kinds of stuff while they live here in Chiang Mai on this forum...relevence, really? Like someone that lives in CM that has an iphone 4 like me and possible has the answer I am looking for? Ok I get it, one of the posters here that has nothing to add but some stupid smarta$$ answersad.png

• Like 2

To answer your question, the iPhone 4 can be jailbroken and unlocked very easily (as long as you have not "updated" to 5.1). Any of the shops in Kad San Keow can do it. Try the 1st on the left on the lower floor when you come in from main road.

Airport Plaza also has many on the 3rd floor.

Then go to DTAC shop, or similar, 10 metres away, for a micro-SIM, either pay as you go, or get contract, wharever is your preference, but decide first if you want internet access using 3G, or rely on the free WiFi that is usually somewhere.

After the jailbreak and unlock do not accept any offer from Apple to update your operating system until the jailbreak for the new operating system is released, otherwise you will lose your unlock.

Regards,

• Like 1

Really? wow...I see people ask questions for all kinds of stuff while they live here in Chiang Mai on this forum...relevence, really? Like someone that lives in CM that has an iphone 4 like me and possible has the answer I am looking for? Ok I get it, one of the posters here that has nothing to add but some stupid smarta$$ answersad.png

C'mon JRA, some people really want to be what they can't be but they still like to sound like they are one of those that they want to be and hope that some folks might think that they are what they want to be but aren't . rolleyes.gif

Bit like those funny expats in blue overalls with little badges all over them. Do some still do that?

• Like 1

To answer your question, the iPhone 4 can be jailbroken and unlocked very easily (as long as you have not "updated" to 5.1). Any of the shops in Kad San Keow can do it. Try the 1st on the left on the lower floor when you come in from main road.

Airport Plaza also has many on the 3rd floor.

Then go to DTAC shop, or similar, 10 metres away, for a micro-SIM, either pay as you go, or get contract, wharever is your preference, but decide first if you want internet access using 3G, or rely on the free WiFi that is usually somewhere.

After the jailbreak and unlock do not accept any offer from Apple to update your operating system until the jailbreak for the new operating system is released, otherwise you will lose your unlock.

Regards,

Mr Felipesed, kop koon krup for your input very much...I know right where you speak of outside of Tops and yes I just notice I have OS 5.1 but now I am in the process of setting my iphone/itunes to it's original setting and then follow your simple yet easy to follow instructions....knowing my thinkness with all thing tech I'm pretty sure I will f.something up but that I blame on my motorbike accident last June where my head bounce off the pavement in my 700B helmet

And B.Bill...oh following your post made my head numb but I get your point....Is that like the guy working out, grunting with 40kgs on the bench presswink.png

Thanks for the help all....Since I was asking a question I thought I would express my fondess for Podcasts thus opening 3% of my mind to tech....now if I could just learn more than 6 Thai words, lol baby stepswai.gif

+1

• Like 1

The iphone 4 is not so easy to get unlocked. ATT have recently announced they will unlock your phone if the original contract is paid off. I purchased an iphone 4 off EBay while in USA for Christmas holidays. It has been locked up until 2 weeks ago. I called ATT and gave them the original phone number and the IMEI number. 5 days later I received an email with unlock instructions and now the phone is all good. Of course I had to go to True and get a new sim chip but that was quick and free. The number 1 point here is the original contract. If your Brother extended His and upgraded I would say you are good to go.

The iphone 4 is not so easy to get unlocked. ATT have recently announced they will unlock your phone if the original contract is paid off. I purchased an iphone 4 off EBay while in USA for Christmas holidays. It has been locked up until 2 weeks ago. I called ATT and gave them the original phone number and the IMEI number. 5 days later I received an email with unlock instructions and now the phone is all good. Of course I had to go to True and get a new sim chip but that was quick and free. The number 1 point here is the original contract. If your Brother extended His and upgraded I would say you are good to go.

What is the score re taking a Thai-bought iPhone to the UK?

Where is it best to get it unlocked so a new SIM can be installed?