Tambien Baan

I am married to a Thai and have built a house. I just received a Tambien Baan in my name same as the wifes but yellow in colour.

Can anyone tell me what benefits I get from having this re visas, car ownership etc

I have never seen anything mentioned here about people having one.

I am married to a Thai and have built a house. I just received a Tambien Baan in my name same as the wifes but yellow in colour.

Can anyone tell me what benefits I get from having this re visas, car ownership etc

I have never seen anything mentioned here about people having one.

as a foreigner, I assume, you built a house and get a yellow booklet?

sure you didnt buy a condominium?

The Tabian Bahn with your name will save you all the hassle of getting letters from Immigration when you want to buy or sell a car.

It is general proof of an address in Thailand.

Other than that not a lot of use.

The Tabian Bahn with your name will save you all the hassle of getting letters from Immigration when you want to buy or sell a car.

It is general proof of an address in Thailand.

Other than that not a lot of use.

Agree, if your name is on any form of offical government issued paper, your life becomes that much easier.

Also, if you sell the house and your name has been in the tabian baan for at least one year before the sale then you will pay a lower tax rate. Without your name in the tabian baan, irrespective of how long you have lived there, you'll pay a higher rate of tax. Unfortunately, I know this from experience. Your name in the book is the only proof acceptable to the land department as to how long you have lived at a property.

For Thai drivers license I brough both my yellow book w. my name (own a condo) AND the embassy letter - and they told me I did not need the embassy letter when have the book. 1300 Baht I could have saved.

At BKK bank (Silom) they would not give me online banking as I have no work permit - but flipping out the yellow book did the trick after a quick call to manager.

It also made some name changes on utility bills much easier as no other proof was needed - I did not have it when changing the phone bill name - and TOT then wanted 6 months of original invoices/receipts to prove that I was the one paying my bills (were in previous owners name for ages)...

I added it to my investor-visa application, and while not a requirement, my lawyer mentioned that it would help - and the emmigration lady kept the signed copy for the file (normally they hand back irelevant stuff) - oh, and I got the visa! :D

There is also some tax reasons which bobcat points out. It has been discussed here before and I am myself not certain of the implications.

And as mentioned makes buy/sell a car easier too.

It has also been speculated here that it might make it easier to convince Thai speaking check-in staff to let you onboard with a one way ticket despite not holding a visa - but would not bet a ticket on it. :o

If one does not have a work permit I think it is a "nice to have" doc as Samran mentions, being the only official Thai document proving your official address - and it does not expire (unlike the drivers license).

Cheers!

Edited by Firefan

Also, if you sell the house and your name has been in the tabian baan for at least one year before the sale then you will pay a lower tax rate.  Without your name in the tabian baan, irrespective of how long you have lived there, you'll pay a higher rate of tax.  Unfortunately, I know this from experience.  Your name in the book is the only proof acceptable to the land department as to how long you have lived at a property.

I take it you are saying you bought and sold a house on land you did not own? :o

Regardless as to whether that was the case or not, your name being on the Tabian Baan of any property has no relevance for tax purposes as far as I am aware.

Do you have any legal references to support your claim?

If so, I would be interested to know what they are.

I take it you are saying you bought and sold a house on land you did not own? unsure.gif

Regardless as to whether that was the case or not, your name being on the Tabian Baan of any property has no relevance for tax purposes as far as I am aware.

I bought and sold a condominium. Normally, if you sell a condo within 5 years of purchasing it, you need to pay specific business tax on the sale price. The rate of tax payable varies depending on whether or not you lived in the property prior to the sale. If you lived in the property for 12 months or more, the rate of tax at which you are assessed is significantly lower than if you did not reside in the property. The only proof of residence the Land Department will accept is your name in a tabian baan. I had lived in my condo for three years before selling it in the fourth year after I purchased it - but my name had only been in my tabian baan for several months - so I ended up having to pay the higher rate of tax.

My sources are the Thai language versions of the Thai Land Code, the Thai Revenue Code and various notifications and announcements made pursuant to those laws. I looked into this issue in detail when I was trying to convince the Land Department to accept that I had lived in the condo for more than 12 months before selling it. I had a letter from the condo management etc., but this was not acceptable. The regulations that I read clearly stated that the proof of residence was the tabian baan.

You can check with the Land Department who will confirm this.

Regards,

Bob

Edited by Bobcat

He, he - yeah that is a bit of a mystery! Not easy :o .

Do a search on the real estate board for Tabien Bahn and Tabien baan to read my story among others. You basically have to apply at local Amphur office.

Cheers!

So when I buy a condo when and how should I expect to receive one?

Cheers

I take it you are saying you bought and sold a house on land you did not own? unsure.gif

I bought and sold a condominium. Normally, if you sell a condo within 5 years of purchasing it, you need to pay specific business tax on the sale price. The rate of tax payable varies depending on whether or not you lived in the property prior to the sale. If you lived in the property for 12 months or more, the rate of tax at which you are assessed is significantly lower than if you did not reside in the property. The only proof of residence the Land Department will accept is your name in a tabian baan. I had lived in my condo for three years before selling it in the fourth year after I purchased it - but my name had only been in my tabian baan for several months - so I ended up having to pay the higher rate of tax.

My sources are the Thai language versions of the Thai Land Code, the Thai Revenue Code and various notifications and announcements made pursuant to those laws. I looked into this issue in detail when I was trying to convince the Land Department to accept that I had lived in the condo for more than 12 months before selling it. I had a letter from the condo management etc., but this was not acceptable. The regulations that I read clearly stated that the proof of residence was the tabian baan.

You can check with the Land Department who will confirm this.

Regards,

Bob

All true in the Land Department's unique way of taking laws and then "doing their own thing" with them :o As all aliens are " supposed" to have their address registered with Immigration, an Immigration affadavit should be sufficient. In fact it is the other way round than the egomaniac's at the Land Department would like you believe. An affadavit is required from Immigration for the House Registration Document. But frequently the Land Office don't even comply with the correct rules. :D

In this particular instance, however, the Land Department are following the letter of the law. The specific regulation mentions the house registration documents specifically as the required proof of residence at a particular property.

In this particular instance, however, the Land Department are following the letter of the law.  The specific regulation mentions the house registration documents specifically as the required proof of residence at a particular property.

Bobcat, I haven't come across this Regulation, and The Land Department are not helpfull in providing such. Do you have any schedule or regulation reference in order for me to update my legal papers. I presume the Regulation has been formulated by the Land Department as an obvious requirement for Thais paying business tax.

He, he - yeah that is a bit of a mystery! Not easy :o .

Do a search on the real estate board for Tabien Bahn and Tabien baan to read my story among others. You basically have to apply at local Amphur office.

Cheers!

So when I buy a condo when and how should I expect to receive one?

Cheers

Blimey if it is as hard to search and find the way to obtain one here i think i will leave it. Could you explain firefan or if to much trouble when i arrive there maybe i could buy you a beer or two and you could explain then?

Cheers