Red Shirt Leader Thida Warns Thai Govt On Cosying Up To 'Elite'

webfact

PRO-THAKSIN MOVEMENT

Thida warns govt on cosying up to 'elite'

The Nation

30180655-01_big.jpg

Red leader says there could be negative consequences in disappointing supporters

BANGKOK: -- The leader of the red shirt movement yesterday warned the government of the negative consequences of trying to appease the elite while disappointing its red-shirt supporters.

Thida Thawornseth said there are various groups of red shirts, and that the movement's leaders - herself included - could not order red shirt supporters to do something they found unreasonable.

"The government is doing things it finds appropriate in running the country. The red shirts are doing what they think is right. Neither side depends on the other, and nobody owns anyone," Thida said in an interview with satellite-based television programme Spring News.

She was commenting on a scheduled meeting tomorrow between Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra - accompanied by some members of her Cabinet - and Privy Council president Prem Tinsulanonda at his residence.

Before they took power, politicians from the Pheu Thai Party and red-shirt leaders accused Prem of interfering in politics and being behind the 2006 coup that brought down the government of Thaksin Shinawatra. Thaksin called Prem an elite who was his archenemy.

Thida yesterday said it appeared the government and the red shirts were "playing two different games", independently of each other.

"The government is playing the game at the top of the pyramid, and the other game is about the masses," she said.

Thida also said it appeared the government had carefully weighed the pros and cons before deciding to reconcile with the elites. "But if there is any ensuing problem, the government will be responsible for what happens," she said.

Poll loss 'is first consequence'

She said Pheu Thai's loss in the by-election in Pathum Thani was among the first negative consequences for the government. "This indicates that many red shirts have independent minds."

Many red-shirt leaders have connections to the ruling Pheu Thai Party and its "big boss", ex-premier Thaksin. Some are now MPs of the party and members of the Cabinet.

Meanwhile, Deputy Prime Minister and Interior Minister Yongyuth Wichaidit yesterday said four Cabinet members would meet Prem tomorrow to ask for his blessing for Songkran, the traditional Thai new year. In addition to himself and the prime minister, deputy prime ministers General Yuthasak Sasiprapha and Kittiratt Na-Ranong would attend, he said.

Yongyuth, also leader of the ruling Pheu Thai Party, denied any hidden political agenda.

"It's improper for us to meet General Prem for our benefit. We will meet him with sincerity. It is unfair to him if we use him as a tool to make it appear that the government strongly wants reconciliation," Yongyuth said in an interview with the Nation News Agency.

He said that although some Pheu Thai politicians and their red-shirt colleagues had severely attacked Prem, "Times have changed and people should act accordingly." He added that, "Anything can happen."

When asked if the red shirts would be upset by tomorrow's meeting, Yongyuth said he did not think they opposed the tradition of seeking Songkran blessings, or Prem directly.

Regarding reconciliation, he took issue with calls by families of the victims that the truth about the political conflicts be known first, particularly the identities of those behind the killings of many people during the unrest and riots in 2010.

"It will be too late of we wait for the truth to be known before achieving reconciliation. If we have to wait for the perpetrators to be identified first, I don't know when we can achieve reconciliation," he said.

He added, however, that the criminal cases stemming from the conflict should continue while the reconciliation efforts were underway.

Yongyuth said the government would hold public hearings in each of the country's regions about reconciliation.

In response to criticism that Thaksin would eventually benefit from the amnesty law expected to be issued as part of the reconciliation package, Yongyuth said the ex-leader would not benefit alone, as that would be unfair to others.

"Reconciliation is not intended to whitewash the wrongdoings of certain people. This is political reconciliation, and nobody will be singled out to be exempt from punishment or to be punished," he said.

"If there are to be benefits, all people will have to receive them. No single individual will benefit alone. And I don't think Thaksin would accept it. He would not be able to live in the country if a law was issued exempting him alone from punishment," Yongyuth said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-04-25

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to criticism that Thaksin would eventually benefit from the amnesty law expected to be issued as part of the reconciliation package, Yongyuth said the ex-leader would not benefit alone, as that would be unfair to others.

Veiled answer to the question admitting what we all know.

Maybe Thaksin hasn't paid Thida enough. Cash and contracts can subdue anyone, including elites of any side; but deciding on appropriate amounts may sometimes be a balancing act.

If Thida truly is working based on ideology and not for money, then she should cut off all ties with Thaksin and his Red Shirt movement.

Well this is an interesting development. I always thought that there was a chance that the Redshirts could start taking all of their rhetoric seriously. If this happens the funding might well disappear. I wonder if the movement could survive without Thaksin bankrolling it?

Red leader says there could be negative consequences in disappointing supporters

A schism a palpable schism!

So the PTP and the Reds will split the votes.

Similar to PAD an Dems doing it last time.

These so called grass roots pressure groups are so narrowly focused,

it's easy for them to think any ally has gone of message and they are

such zealots they will turn on their erstwhile partners at the drop of a participle in a speech.

Fools the lot of them.

• Like 1

Why do they always say the coup was aganist Big T and his government when he had resigned from office. The demonstrations where strickly for getting his money back, when will thay wake up to the true cause of 90 some deaths, one big ego.

Edited by moe666

"If there are to be benefits, all people will have to receive them. No single individual will benefit alone. And I don't think Thaksin would accept it. He would not be able to live in the country if a law was issued exempting him alone from punishment," Yongyuth said.

Amazing Thailand when someone can spout that bilge and keep a straight face at the same time.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

Edited by apetley
  • Like 1

I am not sure of the meaning of the term "elites" in Thai society. Surely Thida realises that PTP has its share of elites & wannabe elites. There is plenty in the red shirt philosophy that is commendable but there are so many twists, turns & hidden agendas it is impossible to know what is truly going on. I do know this & that is the poor masses, many of whom will give you the shirt off their back, are being constantly manipulated. The positive from Thida's remarks are they might finally realise they are being pushed & pulled to suit the agenda of others.

When asked if the red shirts would be upset by tomorrow's meeting, Yongyuth said he did not think they opposed the tradition of seeking Songkran blessings, or Prem directly.

"red shirts not opposed to Prem directly"

Phfft... Yongyuth with more of his ridiculous and deceitful statements.. bah.gif

or are we to believe that perhaps he never read any copies of the many different Red Shirt magazines.... even ones in which he appeared in (on the left) and which screamed the opposite:

VoiceofTaksin.jpg

From Voice of Taksin:

The title reads: Kong Beng Jew coming home! Prem the aristocrat, going to hell!

["Jew" being the nickname of Chawalit]. This headline refers to Chawalit returning to politics with the Puea Thai Party.

Despite the arrival of Chawalit in the Puea Thai Party, the Red Shirt message has centered more on Privy Councilor Prem.

In the latter part of October, all the "Red" publications have been focusing on Prem--especially Voice of Taksin which has article after article harshly criticizing Prem.

http://2bangkok.com/...tions0910b.html

Edited by Buchholz
  • Like 1

I am not sure of the meaning of the term "elites" in Thai society. Surely Thida realises that PTP has its share of elites & wannabe elites. There is plenty in the red shirt philosophy that is commendable but there are so many twists, turns & hidden agendas it is impossible to know what is truly going on. I do know this & that is the poor masses, many of whom will give you the shirt off their back, are being constantly manipulated. The positive from Thida's remarks are they might finally realise they are being pushed & pulled to suit the agenda of others.

All the so called Red Shirt Leaders are elite compare to the farmers in North East.

Many of them are Millionaries and have so much money, a hard working farmer can

dream of getting in a lifetime or 2 or 3 lifetimes.

Why do they always say the coup was aganist Big T and his government when he had resigned from office. The demonstrations where strickly for getting his money back, when will thay wake up to the true cause of 90 some deaths, one big ego.

Mr.T may have resigned but he refused to get out...Like the majority of his 'word' he hardly ever does what he says, hence the coup.

He was trying to put his man in power of the army before getting out - so he wouldnt have to get out.

Mr.T , made a fatal mistake. He bought votes and bought the red shirt souls, but he forgot that they are hungrier than he is. Like a dog that bites the hand that feeds him, it has to be put down and now he's starting to realize it.

Edited by KRS1

Hmmm seems the plot thickens. Did Thida and the redshirts think they were more that sycophantic suck ups in the eyes of hero Thaksin? Do they think these vield threats can divert his attention away from himself? Did they really buy that, its all for democracy rhetoric? The convicted criminal and fugitive from justice attracted 8500 redshirts to leave the country to visit him, how many did Thida get to her April 10 rally? Thaksin has many redshirt leaders in his government sucking off the public teet. How many does she have in her back pocket? Smell the decay as the redshirts fracture into special interest groups and the PT party looses it support base.

Rejoice at the slow public death of the Thaskin dream.

Edited by waza

Smell the decay as the redshirts fracture into special interest groups and the PT party looses it support base.

Rejoice at the slow public death of the Thaskin dream.

Coming soon at a rally near you! Halleluya!

Let us hope so.

Edited by CHANGOVER

Cash and contracts can subdue anyone, including elites of any side; but deciding on appropriate amounts may sometimes be a balancing act.

The phrase "cash and contracts" has been stuck in my mind ever since I read the article "Daring double game in Thailand" on the Asia Times web site. A link to the actual article might not be allowed here, but I urge everyone to navigate to it and read it, as it may present a clearer picture of what is really going on.

Edited by hyperdimension
  • Like 1

Cash and contracts can subdue anyone, including elites of any side; but deciding on appropriate amounts may sometimes be a balancing act.

The phrase "cash and contracts" has been stuck in my mind ever since I read the article "Daring double game in Thailand" on the Asia Times web site. A link to the actual article might not be allowed here, but I urge everyone to navigate to it and read it, as it may present a clearer picture of what is really going on.

So this article basically says Thaksin sold the redshirts out for a political deal with the coupists, nice bit of backstabbing there.

So this article basically says Thaksin sold the redshirts out for a political deal with the coupists, nice bit of backstabbing there.

I think most Red Shirt leaders will not complain, as they got Thaksin's money. The only leaders who'd complain are those who feel that they didn't get enough and / or those who really are working based on ideologies like true democracy. (Whatever happened to Sombat?)

As for the ordinary Red Shirt members, including those who were injured or lost their lives and the families of the dead... who cares? They're just useful idiots. Some of them have or will be paid off anyway, i.e. subdued with cash.

Edited by hyperdimension
  • Like 1