Holiday Meals In Chiang Mai

Ulysses G.

In the last 3 days, I ate 3 traditional Christmas dinners at 3 different places. I thought that writing down my experiences might help others decide where to eat at New Years and on other holidays.

First, I ate at Bake and Bite at their Night Bazaar branch. I've thought for a long time that at holidays this is the best deal in Chiang Mai. Great turkey, great stuffing, excellent mash potatoes and veggies. About 300 baht and just like home. No more needs be said.

Next I tried the Sheraton Hotel as this place has been a Christmas tradition with long time expats since it was the Westin Hotel with the best deserts in town long ago.

It used to be something like 300 baht for Christmas lunch and it was always really good, but with long lines of frantic cheap-skates hogging all the good stuff. You had to go early or everything good would have been scarfed down.

This year it was 900 baht, but no lines and a lot more luxury items like shrimp, imported oysters, many different Salmon dishes, goose liver pate', lobster, frog legs, etc, as well as the traditional dishes. Unlike the old days, I am rolling in money now, so paying the 900 baht for more comfort and better meal while avoiding my fellow riff-raff is worth it to me.

Last, I tried The House. I eat there fairly regularly even though I think that it is somewhat overpriced and a little pretentious, but beggars can't be choosers and it fills a void of fine dining in Chiang Mai and it has a nice atmosphere (other than turning all the lights so low that you can't make out the menu).

This is the first time that I've felt absolutely ripped-off there. In fact, I thought that the greedy chef and owner must be in the kitchen laughing at the suckers out front and rubbing their hands together in glee as each turkey dinner left the kitchen.

About 1,500 baht for a big empty plate with about two tablespoons of pretty good turkey, a teaspoon of OK stuffing and a bunch of tiny, rock hard brussel sprouts in the middle of it (you also get soup, salad and desert).

You get at least 10 times more food at Bake and Bite at 1/5th the price and the quality might be even better.

To be fair, they had an "alternative" menu with Salmon at 900 baht that looked OK for the price, but I will NEVER go there again for a traditional holiday meal!

If you don't have a lot of money or don't like to make a big deal of western holidays, Bake and Bite can't be beat. If you want luxury, the Sheraton is well worth the price.

Also, I heard a lot of good things about the Dukes and the price was right in the middle of these two places. Maybe next time! :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

The cats and I hit The Duke's and it was fantastic. Buffet style usually means dried out meat and too much salad/pasta padding, but oh my sweet lord, this was good. Excellent quality meat and plenty of innovative sides.

Complaints? The fat little Englander in me missed Christmas pudding and mince pies (this is after all a septic joint) and the wine list was pretty puny, but all in all 695b was probably about the right price.

Feel like making a reservation for next year already.

Buurp

Last, I tried The House. I eat there fairly regularly even though I think that it is somewhat overpriced and a little pretentious, but beggars can't be choosers and it fills a void of fine dining in Chiang Mai and it has a nice atmosphere (other than turning all the lights so low that you can't make out the menu).

This is the first time that I've felt absolutely ripped-off there. In fact, I thought that the greedy chef and owner must be in the kitchen laughing at the suckers out front and rubbing their hands together in glee as each turkey dinner left the kitchen.

About 1,500 baht for a big empty plate with about two tablespoons of pretty good turkey, a teaspoon of OK stuffing and a bunch of tiny, rock hard brussel sprouts in the middle of it (you also get soup, salad and desert).

You get at least 10 times more food at Bake and Bite at 1/5th the price and the quality might be even better.

To be fair, they had an "alternative" menu with Salmon at 900 baht that looked OK for the price, but I will NEVER go there again for a traditional holiday meal!

Good alternative to The House now is Moxie, in the D2hotel. Better food (in a similar style) and less expensive, plus the decor is less kitschy (paintings at The House are too small for the wall spaces, floral prints over the top, etc). Don't know whether they do special holiday meals, as they're still in 'soft opening'.

I like the faux-Morocco tapas bar to one side of The House though.

Thanks much!

Where is the D2 Hotel located?

Sounds worth visiting before I start my new diet.  :o

It's in the building that used to hold the Chiang Inn, right behind Chiang Inn Plaza (I think that's the name of shopping centre, the one with Swensen's, Pizza Hut, etc) between Chang Khlan Rd (Night Bazaar) and Soi 1 Tha Phae. It's been under reno for a couple years, only opened a few weeks ago as D2.

This was our 1st Christmas, after arriving in Oct.

We were feeling somewhat homesick & little lonely, as all family & friends back in UK would be having a big get together.

So we went to Pie Sabai near canal rd.

400bt I think & absolutely appaling!!

Buffet style everything stone cold & we were 1 of the 1st there.

Sat for 20min without being offered a drink, so went to get 1 ourselves.

No atmosphere, no decorations inside & no Crimbo mucic.

Really as run by a couple from UK they should have done far better.

Usually this place does superb pies etc. Just woefully disorganised for the big day I'm afraid. So we weren't exactly cheered up!

Feeling loads better now you'll all be pleased to know.

Scottie

Good alternative to The House now is Moxie, in the D2hotel. Better food (in a similar style) and less expensive, plus the decor is less kitschy (paintings at The House are too small for the wall spaces, floral prints over the top, etc). Don't know whether they do special holiday meals, as they're still in 'soft opening'.

I tried Moxie last night and agree that the food is very good and prices are quite reasonable - although nouvelle cuisine type portions - however, they REALLY get you on drinks; 85 baht for a coca-cola and alchoholic drinks are very dear!

My dinner companion is quite weathy, but likes to drink with meals and wasn't keen on going back because of drink prices.