Looking For A Tailor

Sarah7617

Hi!

Who can recommend a reliable tailor? how much do you pay approximatly for two suits & two skirts? which material would you recommend?

Thanks a lot for any information.

Cheers,

Sarah

If you came up to my province just outside of Bangkok i could recommend you a tailor or two at the Thai Price. (interested, send me a PM)

If not, i would thoroughly advise that you do not use the services of any BKK downtown tailor that advertises with huge signs in English. You will notice that the local Thais never go to such places. These tailors deal only with tourists. Therefore, their prices are expensive and the quality is low.

Do not take any tuk-tuk or taxi driver advice or you will be seriously scammed.

Best to ask a Thai friend for recommendation.

Hi!

Who can recommend a reliable tailor? how much do you pay approximatly for two suits & two skirts? which material would you recommend?

Cheers,

Sarah

If you came up to my province just outside of Bangkok i could recommend you a tailor or two at the Thai Price. (interested, send me a PM)

If not, i would thoroughly advise that you do not use the services of any BKK downtown tailor that advertises with huge signs in English. You will notice that the local Thais never go to such places. These tailors deal only with tourists. Therefore, their prices are expensive and the quality is low.

Do not take any tuk-tuk or taxi driver advice or you will be seriously scammed.

Best to ask a Thai friend for recommendation.

Hi Steve,

thanks for your information. If it's not too far outside of bangkok(if you can get there by public transport), i'm interested in your tailors. Do they speak a little bit english?

Cheers,

Sarah

I searched through all the tailor threads previously and ended up going to a place called GMC Style based on several recommendations in one thread. It's at the Chit Lom BTS station, second exit on the left (north side, from the elevated skytrain platform) into the Amarin Plaza. The guy's from Hong Kong so he's not pushy at all and all 5 of the shirts that he's done for me are top notch. I usually see a lot of self-important looking businessmen in there too, so that's probably a good sign. He's a bit pricy, but the work is good. Website is http://www.gmcstyle.com and the phone is 026845911. He doesn't do a lot of wheeling and dealing. If you buy a couple of things at once, or you're a repeat customer, he'll make a deal with you - but once he quotes the price, in my experience, it's final.

The poster above sounds like he probably has better advice, frankly, but this is my advice based on the advice of several other forum members I read in the other thread(s).

Edited by on-on

On-on's advice sounds pretty good.

If the guy's from Hong Kong and deals with a lot of businessfolks, sounds all right.

Plus he's already been advised in other threads. Check him out then before say.... having to leave Bangkok.

Forget to say in my first post was that most of the over-priced, low quality tailors seeling only to tourists are Thai-Indian run in the usual Pratunam, Sukhumvit and Bang Rak areas.

If the local Thais shop there, follow them.

Edited by stevesuphan

I wnet to a place called Dino's recently on sukhumvit 12. had a suit made which was nice to my eyes anyway. i chose the material for a suit and shirt and went in for 2 fittings. i believe they do their tailoring on the premises.

it was pricey but they gave me what they promised and on time.

Have had good & bad experiences with BKK tailors.

Here are the things I have learned from these experiences....

1. Always select a tailor based upon a recommendation.

2. Don't fall for the 3 suits for $99 crap as this is just to get you into the store!

3. Once you have selected a tailor, ask to see recent creations orders. Most will be

happy to do this and you will be able to gauge the quality of the finished

garments.

4. Never pay in advance!!!!!

5. Bargain hard on price & don't let them fool you by saying that the cloth you

have selected is the best quality! Most materials are very cheap in LOS.

6. Make sure you have at least 2 fittings.

7. If you don't like what they have created you do not have to buy!

8. Best to take something for them to copy as they tend to have very old styles

but can copy the cut of one of your fav' suits.

9. Try to ensue that the tailor yopu use has an in house team of semstresses.

The ones that go outside have no control on workmanship an get it on the

cheap so more profit for them!

Good luck!

If you want really good quality go to Tanaka on Sukhumvit opposite Robinsons. They use mainly Zegna cloths and a syit will set you back about 50,000 baht.

This is very expensive but also very good.

A cheaper option would be Embassy tailor at Ploenchit. The guy is English but his staff are thai. They have a selection of Boss, Versace, Pal Zileri, Ferre cloths and a good suit will be about 15 - 20,000 baht. However make sure you have plenty of time for fittings and alterations. I normally need about 4 - 5 fittings to get a suit perfect.

Hi!

Cheers,

Sarah

May I recommend "CHARLES". Its located on Silom Rd.right between Narai Hotel and Sofitel Silom.

Tel: 026358302

email: [email protected]

I got this shop recommended by friends and I'm really satisfied and surprised by the value for money.

The guys are not pushing (although Indian/Thai) but still they always read your thoughts and suggest certain alternative materials/fabircs/cuts and so on. Anyway - take your time to pick your stuff.

If you bring enough time (ask them when to do the first fitting) you will probably be able to lower the price.

2 suites and 2 shirts should not be more than 20000 THB total, even if you go for the a bit more expensive fabrics. I would suggest wool for the suit.

After everything is set (last fiting and just minor changes left to do) he even delivers to your hotel/place free of charge.

I'm also considering having a nice custom suit made but I've truly no idea as to how to go about it: style, material, how it fits/drapes etc.

Also, is the cut completely specific to your exact size when you do the fitting?

My shape and weight really fluctuates on how much I am exercising at the time of the year?!

Cheers!!!

Hi!

Cheers,

Sarah

Make sure you get several fittings. Take the suit outside in the sunlight to see if there is any mis-matched colors or poorly sewn together seams.

Also, is the cut completely specific to your exact size when you do the fitting?

My shape and weight really fluctuates on how much I am exercising at the time of the year?!

Cheers!!!

Whose shape does not change a bit once in a while... but its their job to consider it and if its tailor made just tell them not to produce a second skin for you but something a bit loose/stretchabe whatever... its their job, they should know what to do, so share your concerns with them and dont order when you dont feel comfortable with their solution(s).

Dont worry, you can do as many fittings as you like usually and as you discuss the general cut of the shirt/skrit/suit ect. in advance what should go wrong ?

I recoomend the shops Jass Fashions located in the basement floor of the luxurious Landmark Hotel on sukhumvit road..me and my wife have been getting stuff made from there since years, not to mention my parents and we have all been very happy with their services. The prices are about as reasonable as you can get..the people who run the shop are a nice gentleman and a lady, who are very patient and speak great english! Let me know if you go there, would love to hear some feedback about how you liked them if you do indeed get something made :o BTW most of the recommenders here seem to be like tour guides or owner themselves, So I would be sure to not exactly follow their advices.

Edited by raggedjagged

• 1 month later...

I worked with three seperate tailors while I was in Bangkok. The important information is that you should avoid D'Oriental Fashion at ALL costs, they are located at Chula Soi 16 Banthadthong Rd. They are scam artists, dishonest, and WILL cheat you, if you're a tourist they know you'll be leaving and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it. For a full account check this other thread where I talked about all three tailors.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...43entry645143