Book Notes CIA-Thai Link

webfact

I support the use of torture on terrorists.

Good for you. Now just make sure you have a terrorist and not some Doctor from Shepherds Bush. And don't be surprised when the 'terrorists' capture one of our own that they find ever more ingenious methods to dispatch of our people. What came first exactly, the invasion or the beheadings?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hang on didn't the U.S strongly deny they had any such thing in Thailand and torturing of people was not the American way? Either this guy is lying or the prim and proper U.S.A is lying. Either way I think this guy is going to be in a lot of trouble and the U.S are not going to like what he is saying. "Dead man Walking"

Waterboarding isn't considered by most as torture. Much ado about nothing really. This will certainly bring out the USA haters and cry babies. The author is perfectly safe and the sky is not falling.

Not torture?? What rock did you just crawl out from under? A right-wing nut radio shock jock in the USA famously boasted that water boarding was not torture and that he would happily volunteer to try it out. He last 3 seconds and emphatically proclaimed - "this is absolutely Torture!"

The folks that use the Udon Thani airport can thank the USA for that as it started out as a military base and the US spent a considerable amount developing the facilities. The base was the Asian HQ for Air America, the CIA's flying unit. Heavy investment also occurred in Korat.

For the construction of air bases in Thailand, the US paid out $US 250 million,

Thailand received at least " $US 2 billion in total assistance from Washington just between 1965 and 1975, Thailand was the second largest recipient of American aid in Southeast Asia next to Vietnam." Far Eastern Economic Review, 4 February 1977, pp. 42-43.

I suppose people forget that many of the roads to the strategic airbases were financed by the USA. The motive was similar to the US investment in the Alaska Highway during WWII where the USA had control of the highway in Canada. Today, anti American foreigners get to enjoy these roads. I think such people should stick with their views and not use the roads, nor use the airport facilities made possible by the USA.

I personally don't give a rats arse what any of you "oh this is terrible" guys and gals think of waterboarding. It works and it should be done to every <snip> terrorist on this earth if they don't agree to tell what they know about the next round of mayhem that is planned to kill innocent men, women and children. You guys should all have to witness the body parts of children in the street or the trees as I saw in Afghanistan. Then maybe just maybe you would start thinking a little different. If waterboarding happend here I say good for Thailand.

a) it is proved that it does not work. The informations under torture are meaningless, as people simply tell anything so it stops.

cool.png the problem is that it is also or mainly done to people who aren't terrorists and there is a good percentage that turned into terrorists after.

USA is producing terrorists since the Soviets were in Afghanistan.

c) If you torture random people, you are a terrorist, not fighting it.

d) in Afghanistan the people see the Taliban already as protector against the cruel westerners.

We will agree to disagree. I stand by what I posted. The Afghan people hate the Taliban due to their crimes committed against the citizens during their previous rule. Hanging sixteen year old boys, raping children, publically executions of women pregnant out of wedlock after she was tortured, burying women in the ground up to their head leading to a slow death, burning entire families alive, on and on and on.

yes we can agree to that.....And I agree on the crimes....but don't forget they do exactly the same things in the families and even the refugees are doing things like that (Europe has huge problems with them). Beside that, if you don't like your government, would you like to see some foreign countries occupy your country and try to force their weird moral on you?

Our moral values are as disgusting for them as theirs for us.

I guess you don't live in Pattaya! They seem to have the same values as a lot of other people there.

Which actually goes back to my thoughts on torture. Send them to Pattaya for a week and then tell them they have to go back home unless they talk.

a) it is proved that it does not work. The informations under torture are meaningless, as people simply tell anything so it stops.

cool.png the problem is that it is also or mainly done to people who aren't terrorists and there is a good percentage that turned into terrorists after.

USA is producing terrorists since the Soviets were in Afghanistan.

c) If you torture random people, you are a terrorist, not fighting it.

d) in Afghanistan the people see the Taliban already as protector against the cruel westerners.

We will agree to disagree. I stand by what I posted. The Afghan people hate the Taliban due to their crimes committed against the citizens during their previous rule. Hanging sixteen year old boys, raping children, publically executions of women pregnant out of wedlock after she was tortured, burying women in the ground up to their head leading to a slow death, burning entire families alive, on and on and on.

yes we can agree to that.....And I agree on the crimes....but don't forget they do exactly the same things in the families and even the refugees are doing things like that (Europe has huge problems with them). Beside that, if you don't like your government, would you like to see some foreign countries occupy your country and try to force their weird moral on you?

Our moral values are as disgusting for them as theirs for us.

I guess you don't live in Pattaya! They seem to have the same values as a lot of other people there.

Which actually goes back to my thoughts on torture. Send them to Pattaya for a week and then tell them they have to go back home unless they talk.

I think more like, send them to Pattaya for a week then tell them if they talk they will be allowed home! ;)

Australia relies on the US for its military muscle and has since 1942. So does Thailand. I am not a big fan of the arrangement either. But that's the way it is. I think everyone should be paying for the protection. Kinda of like the Chicago mob.

When did Thailand need the USA?

In the Vietnam war??? Or when they together supported Pol Pot?

At the end of WW II the Brits wanted large amounts of war reparations from Thailand in the form of rice and to occupy Thailand the US said no. The French wanted the Jade Buddha and the US said no. The SEATO treaty signed in 1954 to prevent Communism from taking over SEA.

Not quite true. The UK did receive reparations fromThailand in the form of rice.but bear in mind that Thailand did declare war on UK but the Thai ambassador to the US refused to deliver the declaration. UK was a member of SEATO too.

Australia relies on the US for its military muscle and has since 1942. So does Thailand. I am not a big fan of the arrangement either. But that's the way it is. I think everyone should be paying for the protection. Kinda of like the Chicago mob.

When did Thailand need the USA?

In the Vietnam war??? Or when they together supported Pol Pot?

At the end of WW II the Brits wanted large amounts of war reparations from Thailand in the form of rice and to occupy Thailand the US said no. The French wanted the Jade Buddha and the US said no. The SEATO treaty signed in 1954 to prevent Communism from taking over SEA.

Not quite true. The UK did receive reparations fromThailand in the form of rice.but bear in mind that Thailand did declare war on UK but the Thai ambassador to the US refused to deliver the declaration. UK was a member of SEATO too.

That is just silly on so many levels it is really hard to swallow. The UK received about 10% of the rice originally asked for. How many times did US bombers bomb Thailand during the war? How many US planes were shot down by the Thai air force? The US was at war with Thailand and Thailand was at war with the US. Thailand surrendered to the US at the end of the war. The US interned all of the Thai diplomats in America at the beginning of the war as diplomats of a foreign power at war with the US and sent those back to Thailand who wished to go.

I think more like, send them to Pattaya for a week then tell them if they talk they will be allowed home! wink.png

Are you for real??? Have you really never been to the Middle Eastern/Arab/Iranian quarter in Pattaya? Gadzooks those folks like to party.

I think more like, send them to Pattaya for a week then tell them if they talk they will be allowed home! wink.png

Are you for real??? Have you really never been to the Middle Eastern/Arab/Iranian quarter in Pattaya? Gadzooks those folks like to party.

Then by gadzooks in the interests of knowledge advancement I shall have to check it out. A quick 3 hour drive tomorrow and bingo!

Then by gadzooks in the interests of knowledge advancement I shall have to check it out. A quick 3 hour drive tomorrow and bingo!

It is easy to find. Jt can tell you about the food. I am sure there is a tobacco guy on here for the hookah pipes. I'm a pretty much live and let live guy and think most of the problems in life can be solved in Pattaya.

The folks that use the Udon Thani airport can thank the USA for that as it started out as a military base and the US spent a considerable amount developing the facilities. The base was the Asian HQ for Air America, the CIA's flying unit. Heavy investment also occurred in Korat.

Thailand received at least " $US 2 billion in total assistance from Washington just between 1965 and 1975, Thailand was the second largest recipient of American aid in Southeast Asia next to Vietnam." Far Eastern Economic Review, 4 February 1977, pp. 42-43.

I suppose people forget that many of the roads to the strategic airbases were financed by the USA. The motive was similar to the US investment in the Alaska Highway during WWII where the USA had control of the highway in Canada. Today, anti American foreigners get to enjoy these roads. I think such people should stick with their views and not use the roads, nor use the airport facilities made possible by the USA.

Hitler also built nice highways.......For some time a Vietnamese woman beggar was in front of Panthip place. She had no eyes, her face doesn't have the place where usually eyes should be.

That is typical Agent Orange. That the USA put on Vietnam, on Children, Women, civilians. To transport they built roads and airports in Thailand.

If I would be Thai I wouldn't be particular proud of poising women and children. Supporting Pol Pot nicely fits into that. (and than being surprised that some Cambodians are anti-Thailand)

• Like 1

Hitler also built nice highways.......For some time a Vietnamese woman beggar was in front of Panthip place. She had no eyes, her face doesn't have the place where usually eyes should be.

That is typical Agent Orange. That the USA put on Vietnam, on Children, Women, civilians. To transport they built roads and airports in Thailand.

If I would be Thai I wouldn't be particular proud of poising women and children. Supporting Pol Pot nicely fits into that. (and than being surprised that some Cambodians are anti-Thailand)

What the hell does Hitler, Viet woman with no eyes, agent orange have to do with water boarding a &lt;deleted&gt; scum bag terrorist. I will answer this myself. Absolutely nothing. Back on topic please. Edited by pimay11

What the hell does Hitler, Viet woman with no eyes, agent orange have to do with water boarding a &lt;deleted&gt; scum bag terrorist. I will answer this myself. Absolutely nothing. Back on topic please.

We are speaking about torture civilians in secret jails, were they disappear.

Only very evil people/leader torture, or attack other countries, or have secret jails.

Like Hitler, Stalin....and the USA

• Like 1

What the hell does Hitler, Viet woman with no eyes, agent orange have to do with water boarding a &lt;deleted&gt; scum bag terrorist. I will answer this myself. Absolutely nothing. Back on topic please.

Only very evil people/leader torture, or attack other countries, or have secret jails.

We have different opinions about waterboarding. I do not consider it torture but if you do so be it. And if you think the USA is the same as Hitler and Stalin so be it. I don't but again we will agree to disagree.

Shouldn't you include the allies of the US like the UK and partners in the Vietnam war like Australia?

And I guess if you are talking about Hitler you should include the other Axis powers like Japan and Thailand.

Your comparison to Hitler is indicative of someone that has no understanding of history. How you think that comparing a madman who engaged in unprovoked invasions and genocide with the activities of the USA in Thailand is beyond logic. There is no comparison. I believe that the rule of the internet is that as soon as someone goes off on a tangent wbout Hitler, it is best to walk away as the person raising the issue, typically has a limited grasp of reality and is incapab;le of rational thought. On that note, cya later.

BTW, the wild allegation in respect to Agent Orange is indicative of the lack of rational thought. Although there is no doubt that dioxins can cause birth defects, the scenario you describe is not associated with dioxin. Had you stated that the eyes were present , but the optic nerves not developed, then I might have considered your story plausible. The fact of the matter is that you have no idea if the woman was vietnamese (did you check her id papers?) nor do you you really know if the alleged lack of eyes was due to exposure to dioxin, but dam_n if it doesn't make for a tasty story to illustrate a ridiculous statement.

Your comparison to Hitler is indicative of someone that has no understanding of history. How you think that comparing a madman who engaged in unprovoked invasions and genocide with the activities of the USA in Thailand is beyond logic. There is no comparison. I believe that the rule of the internet is that as soon as someone goes off on a tangent wbout Hitler, it is best to walk away as the person raising the issue, typically has a limited grasp of reality and is incapab;le of rational thought. On that note, cya later.

BTW, the wild allegation in respect to Agent Orange is indicative of the lack of rational thought. Although there is no doubt that dioxins can cause birth defects, the scenario you describe is not associated with dioxin. Had you stated that the eyes were present , but the optic nerves not developed, then I might have considered your story plausible. The fact of the matter is that you have no idea if the woman was vietnamese (did you check her id papers?) nor do you you really know if the alleged lack of eyes was due to exposure to dioxin, but dam_n if it doesn't make for a tasty story to illustrate a ridiculous statement.

Thank you GK for a very thoughful and true post. Some arm chair quarter backs believe only what they read in the media. Never having on hand experience. They are easy to spot and it is easy to put them in their place.

Hang on didn't the U.S strongly deny they had any such thing in Thailand and torturing of people was not the American way? Either this guy is lying or the prim and proper U.S.A is lying. Either way I think this guy is going to be in a lot of trouble and the U.S are not going to like what he is saying. "Dead man Walking"

Waterboarding isn't considered by most as torture. Much ado about nothing really. This will certainly bring out the USA haters and cry babies. The author is perfectly safe and the sky is not falling.

Not torture?? What rock did you just crawl out from under? A right-wing nut radio shock jock in the USA famously boasted that water boarding was not torture and that he would happily volunteer to try it out. He last 3 seconds and emphatically proclaimed - "this is absolutely Torture!"

I did mention about the haters? Guy on the radio? Must be indisputable proof of fact. What can I say?

Maybe comparing it to the activities of the USA in Thailand is a stretch, but ..your words "Your comparison to Hitler is indicative of someone that has no understanding of history. How you think that comparing a madman who engaged in unprovoked invasions and genocide with the activities of the USA in "...... Iraq perhaps?, Afghanistan perhaps?, George Bu........., no wait, save it for another thread eh! But your words GK, your words ;)

Edited by GentlemanJim

Waterboarding was considered torture by the US during the WW2, hence why the executed some Japanese soldiers/guards for war-crimes after they did it to American POWs.

I am an American, (and sometimes ashamed of being so) because of there BS lying policies, like in the Vietnam War for one, not to mention other situations like in the Middle East now.

I grew up (fast) during the Vietnam era, with sit ins, love ins, and sometimes protests that turned violent.

I was drafted in 1967, in Los Angeles, and went up to the draft board induction center, there I stood my grounds, and refused to be called into war like so many others did. I tore up my draft card and told the Army personnel to basically shove it, told them they got themselves into this situation, that I was not going to help get them out of it, told them to<Snip!> off. After I did this, many more of my friends started to do the same.

Some might not like or even understand my motives, but to this day, I am very proud that I stood my grounds, and did what I believed in.

The US hides under dirty bed sheets, yes of course they had, and maybe still do have CIA operatives here in Thailand.

My motto is "Question Authority"

Edited by metisdead

I am an American, (and sometimes ashamed of being so) because of there BS lying policies, like in the Vietnam War for one, not to mention other situations like in the Middle East now.

I grew up (fast) during the Vietnam era, with sit ins, love ins, and sometimes protests that turned violent.

I was drafted in 1967, in Los Angeles, and went up to the draft board induction center, there I stood my grounds, and refused to be called into war like so many others did. I tore up my draft card and told the Army personnel to basically shove it, told them they got themselves into this situation, that I was not going to help get them out of it, told them to<Snip!> off. After I did this, many more of my friends started to do the same.

Some might not like or even understand my motives, but to this day, I am very proud that I stood my grounds, and did what I believed in.

The US hides under dirty bed sheets, yes of course they had, and maybe still do have CIA operatives here in Thailand.

My motto is "Question Authority"

So, did you go to jail?

Yes but the U.S do not consider this extreem but purely asking the victim a reasonable question. Now if someone was to use the same technique on a U.S citizen just watch the outcry. The U.S are accountatble to no one and they know it. If you speak out against them then you will get your face slapped

Not sure whether naivete or stupidity best describes what you have written. That gritty feeling in your eyes and ears is from the sand where your head is buried. To suggest that the USA is running around torturing people without provocation--and that using the same technique on a U.S. citizen would evoke an outcry--shows a gross ignorance of facts and trivializes the beheadings, the three thousand World Trade Center murders, and a whole list of other jihadist atrocities.

Still, those Americans defend your right to be ignorant and say what you will and they can only laugh at isolated rogue ignorance knowing that it is not a reflection on the countries from which such rogue ignorance has come; and that said countries are barely able to defend themselves in peacetime from immigration and economic aggression, let alone defend themselves against an imminent threat. First sign of trouble and out goes the call, "Uncle Sam, please-please help us, we are so scared."

If you dont want another 9/11 stop letting Israel dictate your foreign policy

Yes but the U.S do not consider this extreem but purely asking the victim a reasonable question. Now if someone was to use the same technique on a U.S citizen just watch the outcry. The U.S are accountatble to no one and they know it. If you speak out against them then you will get your face slapped

Not sure whether naivete or stupidity best describes what you have written. That gritty feeling in your eyes and ears is from the sand where your head is buried. To suggest that the USA is running around torturing people without provocation--and that using the same technique on a U.S. citizen would evoke an outcry--shows a gross ignorance of facts and trivializes the beheadings, the three thousand World Trade Center murders, and a whole list of other jihadist atrocities.

Still, those Americans defend your right to be ignorant and say what you will and they can only laugh at isolated rogue ignorance knowing that it is not a reflection on the countries from which such rogue ignorance has come; and that said countries are barely able to defend themselves in peacetime from immigration and economic aggression, let alone defend themselves against an imminent threat. First sign of trouble and out goes the call, "Uncle Sam, please-please help us, we are so scared."

If you dont want another 9/11 stop letting Israel dictate your foreign policy

Less than 33% think Obama can do it in the latest polls. Maybe it is time for Thaskin on the Potomic. Do you think he could get a new birth certifcate in BKK somewhere?