Australian Financial Debt Legal Advice

To cut a very long story short, my Thai wife had a 'marriage of convenience' to enable her to stay and work in Australia, back in 2004. During that time she applied for and got credit cards from ANZ and Commonwealth.

In 2005, her relationship with her previous husband turned sour and she had to flee to return to Thailand. To do this she used her cards to pay some debts and purchase her flight ticket, leaving Australia with credit card debts of almost AUS$8,000.

They have now tracked her down, made contact and are chasing the repayment. I am just wondering if anybody knows where she stands legally on this debt as it's over 7 years old.

The credit collection agency have stated in a recent email that they will outsource this debt to an agency in Bangkok to recover the debt and obviously we don't want this to happen. i know that with UK debts, if it's not repaid within a certain amount of time, the debt has to be written off. Does anybody the law with regards to similar situations in Australia?

She is no longer married to her former husband, if that makes any difference?

Please help.