Roof Ventilation

Dirk_brijs

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

anyone know of an installer in Pattaya and has an idea of a price range?

What sort?

Cooling your roof space can be as simple as making vents inthe right places, installing wirlygigs or powered ventialtion fans.

There are dozens of places here in Pattaya that install those whirly birds. You see them outside their stores on display. But you have to have the proper type of roof...we don't. Insulation can be done by HomeMart on Suk near Pattaya Tai. I think they will also do ventilation. Worth stopping by to check with them.

Try www.lohr-trade.com H.O. in Pattaya

according to its website the company is not in the business of ventilating attic space.

Yes you're correct, but if the OP is interested they do supply services for roof insulation that may be an option to reduce heat in his home. I do not know the effectiveness of this approach.

I have the electric ventilator for the roof space working now for over 9 years it was installed by ARC windows & doors thay also did foam spray for the roof I don't know if they still instal this ventilator but the approx cost was 11k I think.

regards

Scotsman

I had 2 whirlygigs installed at 3000 baht each, the best money every spent.

My neighbour came in this morning & commented on how cool my home was, he has 2 being installed tomorrow.

He was charged 7000 baht but is happy,

Cheers

so they do work well even if your roof is not insulated or was your roof insulated?

I'm considering installing one as well. If you ever stick your head up the attic you'll see how hot it gets there. Any ventilation of the attic space is bound to make a big difference to the temperature. How much that will actually impact the heat in the house is something I'd really like to hear first hand experience about from someone who had one installed, but at 3,000 baht I can't imagine it doesn't earn itself back in a year or so in saved aircon. My worry is if the installer is careful enough with the installation so it doesn't cause water leakage.

My neighbour came in this morning & commented on how cool my home was, he has 2 being installed tomorrow.

Cheers

so they do work well even if your roof is not insulated or was your roof insulated?

ventilating the attic is something positive and not dependent on the roof insulated or not.

p.s. spraying the lower side of the roof tiles with foam is a fruitless undertaking and nothing but a waste of money and those who claim that it made their homes cooler suffer from hallucinations. the foam does not prevent but only slows the build-up of heat in the attic. at peak temperature times (13.00-15.00 hours) there is no difference which can be measured (as opposed to ventilated attics).

it is also worthwhile to mention that a "Whirly Bird" works efficiently only when driven by a breeze or wind.

• Like 1

I'm considering installing one as well. If you ever stick your head up the attic you'll see how hot it gets there. Any ventilation of the attic space is bound to make a big difference to the temperature. How much that will actually impact the heat in the house is something I'd really like to hear first hand experience about from someone who had one installed, but at 3,000 baht I can't imagine it doesn't earn itself back in a year or so in saved aircon. My worry is if the installer is careful enough with the installation so it doesn't cause water leakage.

the impact is huge given a single story home with gypsum ceilings which are not insulated. even a double story home with a concrete ceiling between attic and the upper story benefits from a cooler attic as heat transfer is reduced.

if you have gables forget about a hole in the roof. provide louvers at both ends for cross ventilation and if you are willing to go a step further a 25 Watt fan for 750 Baht, a timer for 150 Baht, a bit of wiring plus an on/off switch will go a long way.

Try www.lohr-trade.com H.O. in Pattaya

according to its website the company is not in the business of ventilating attic space.

Yes you're correct, but if the OP is interested they do supply services for roof insulation that may be an option to reduce heat in his home. I do not know the effectiveness of this approach.

the effectiveness of this approach is... bah.gif

the impact is huge given a single story home with gypsum ceilings which are not insulated. even a double story home with a concrete ceiling between attic and the upper story benefits from a cooler attic as heat transfer is reduced.

if you have gables forget about a hole in the roof. provide louvers at both ends for cross ventilation and if you are willing to go a step further a 25 Watt fan for 750 Baht, a timer for 150 Baht, a bit of wiring plus an on/off switch will go a long way.

No gables I'm afraid so I guess it's down to a whirlybird on the roof. Are these things generally ok with regards to water, how has the experience been for those who had one installed? I'm mostly concerned with the rough thunderstorms we sometimes have here.

I would have assumed they work due to the pressure of the hot air inside regardless of any outside wind?

Here's a picture of one in case anyone wonder what we're talking about:

turbine-roof-01.jpg

Cheers

ventilating the attic is something positive and not dependent on the roof insulated or not.

p.s. spraying the lower side of the roof tiles with foam is a fruitless undertaking and nothing but a waste of money and those who claim that it made their homes cooler suffer from hallucinations. the foam does not prevent but only slows the build-up of heat in the attic. at peak temperature times (13.00-15.00 hours) there is no difference which can be measured (as opposed to ventilated attics).

it is also worthwhile to mention that a "Whirly Bird" works efficiently only when driven by a breeze or wind.

I'd agree with most of your comments, Naam, both from my own experience and from my (never completed!) training as a chartered surveyor and architect.

With a gypsum ceiling I'd suggest insulating the roof yourself with a few rolls of insulation material, as combined with ventilation for the roof space this will have the greatest effect with or without air-conditioning. I also prefer an electric fan (although I'd go for rather more than 25w!), although whether this is installed in the gable end or in the ceiling with ducting to an outlet in the gable depends on the size and construction of the house and roof, a/c installation, etc. I have one fitted in the (insulated) ceiling of my maid's house and it ensures additional and controllable fresh air in an unfortunately rather small house, particularly when the a/c is used (and a "Whirly Bird" wasn't an option anyway due to the small size of the roof tiles).

Insulating the roof with spray foam is a far more expensive and far less effective option - the only advantage is security. Unfortunately here people are often only told part of the story such as insulation value and not the full picture - look at the number of houses now being built using single skin thermal blocks, most (but not all) of which are only intended for use internally.

"Whirly Birds" can work just by the hot air rising and the venturi effect, but in practice most do not and consequently, as Naam said, they only work efficiently when there is a breeze and without one its just the equivalent of a hole in the roof.

Edited by LeCharivari

With a gypsum ceiling I'd suggest insulating the roof yourself with a few rolls of insulation material, as combined with ventilation for the roof space this will have the greatest effect with or without air-conditioning.

a big problem in Thailand is too install/apply that kind of insulation because the ceilings are suspended and held with metal straps. it is extremely tedious to cut and apply the insulation rolls.

I also prefer an electric fan (although I'd go for rather more than 25w!)

this is Thaivisa where one starts with simple, but in comparison to cost, efficient solutions to avoid scaring away interested parties.

if i'd tell people about my ¾ hp roof fan (12,500 Baht) which operates stepless because a temperature sensor triggers the settings of a variable frequency output gadget (14,800 Baht) plus installation cost (6-8,000 Baht) for both then i am pleading a lost case. ermm.gif

I had a building (in the states) that was too hot to enter in the afternoon. Installed insulation & was almost as cool as a wine cellar.

A proper overhang, good windows/doors and some shade trees also help allot.

No gables I'm afraid so I guess it's down to a whirlybird on the roof. Are these things generally ok with regards to water, how has the experience been for those who had one installed? I'm mostly concerned with the rough thunderstorms we sometimes have here.

I would have assumed they work due to the pressure of the hot air inside regardless of any outside wind?

they are ok as far as leakages are concerned. they normally come with a base that overlaps the roof tiles around them.

that they "work" without breeze because of the hot air pressure is correct but a simple opening, protected from rain works better because the hot air can escape without the need to "drive" a whirly bird.

I also prefer an electric fan (although I'd go for rather more than 25w!)

this is Thaivisa where one starts with simple, but in comparison to cost, efficient solutions to avoid scaring away interested parties.

if i'd tell people about my ¾ hp roof fan (12,500 Baht) which operates stepless because a temperature sensor triggers the settings of a variable frequency output gadget (14,800 Baht) plus installation cost (6-8,000 Baht) for both then i am pleading a lost case. ermm.gif

I installed a powerful roof vent fan. A real pain to crawl around up there in the heat to install.

Turned it on and had a horrible vibration. Never could use it.

Too dam_n miserable in the attic to go back and fix it. .........

I had a building (in the states) that was too hot to enter in the afternoon. Installed insulation & was almost as cool as a wine cellar.

and Santa Claus could drive his sleigh into the building even in july and august.

sorry PaulJones... i hate these kind of nonsensical claims but this time you get away with just a joke.

No, the difference was dramatic.

It was my 1,000 sq foot work shop. Could not use it until I insulated.

Opened the windows at night to let in some cool air and closed them up by 10AM.

Kept the place real cool.

Edited by pauljones

No, the difference was dramatic.

It was my 1,000 sq foot work shop. Could not use it until I insulated.

Opened the windows at night to let in some cool air and closed them up by 10AM.

Kept the place real cool.

that sounds reasonable. but the problem in Thailand during the hot season is that there is no cool air available in the night. today at 0415hrs i measured 29.8ºC (2km east of Sukhumvit, Pattaya).

they are ok as far as leakages are concerned. they normally come with a base that overlaps the roof tiles around them.

that they "work" without breeze because of the hot air pressure is correct but a simple opening, protected from rain works better because the hot air can escape without the need to "drive" a whirly bird.

And how about the added suction once the whirly starts to swirl?

PC,

My 2 installed reduce the morning temperature considerably, I am considering another 2 to really kill the heat in the roof space. They have about an 8 inch, (200 mill) flashing around them, so no leaks after about a year.

Rob

I'm looking for 12 or 24 volt DC fans that can be run from a solar panel. I was up in my attic a few months ago and it was like an oven up there. And that was December, the cool season! I can't imagine what it must be like up there now.

I have a temperature gun and can easily see that the walls are 38 degrees or higher near the ceiling. The temp gets lower as I move the measurement spot downward. Clearly the walks are sucking up all that heat and dumping it into the living space below.

So I'll be reading subsequent replies with great interest.

I'm looking for 12 or 24 volt DC fans that can be run from a solar panel. I was up in my attic a few months ago and it was like an oven up there. And that was December, the cool season! I can't imagine what it must be like up there now.

I have a temperature gun and can easily see that the walls are 38 degrees or higher near the ceiling. The temp gets lower as I move the measurement spot downward. Clearly the walks are sucking up all that heat and dumping it into the living space below.

So I'll be reading subsequent replies with great interest.

This is what I put in my house in tripocal Oz. took about 4 deg off the living room temp.

http://www.scorigin.com/solar_fan__ventilation

And how about the added suction once the whirly starts to swirl?

there is no added suction without breeze.