Is Illegal To Stay 1 Day In Cambodia?

Hi,

normally I don't get any problems, because I am taking the visa-run company. Today we did small trip with a car, and on this trip I decided to make a visarun to Cambodia, I did it before with company, so why not try it alone and possibly cheaper. So here is my story:

I come to Cambodian Border, I got with me 20 USD, copy of passport, photo. I leaved Thailand without any problem. After Thai border is VisaRun company, which did last time everything for us on "package tour", but today I was alone. They ask, where I go, and I said, I am going to make a visarun. Somebody said, it is illegal to stay 1 day in Cambodia, and they asked for visa-service 1200 baht or something. I got 20 USD and prepared for this, so I just go straight to Cambodian Border. Officer in uniform, in office on "Arrivals" (I fill up the forms and so on), asked me, where I go to Cambodia. I said, I am making visarun, so I am coming back to Thailand. Then, he said: this is illegal, you have to stay at least 1 day in cambodia, but if you give me 1000 bht, it will be OK. I said, I got 20 USD with me, and I want tourist visa - he said, not possible. So then, I was lucky, and got 1000 bht with me, so I gave him. Ok, I got visa, now another window - departures. After filling forms, etc, I wanted to "leave" Cambodia, and officer ask me for 300 bht, because I did not stay there at least 1 day! I say <deleted>, I just paid 1000 bht for this. Anyway, to make long story short - I gave him 200 bht (I didn't have more...), and went back to Thailand, and my visarun was OK, but I didn't expect this.

My questions:

- it is really illegal to make a visarun, one must stay in Cambodia at least 1 day?

- what I can do next time, when OFFICER don't allow me to enter/exit Cambodia without giving to him some coFEE? I was thinking to call somewhere, go to big boss, but I think big money is there, so nobody cares about the real rules.

I think this is just * scam going on and this visa company got really good business there together with officers.

Please advice. Border was Phser Prom.

Edited by 7by7
Obscenity removed; see forum rule 3.

what they mean is that when you are travelling on your own you can't simply arrive and immediately

turn back without paying the compensation they demanded. It's their country and they can make any rules

they like so it's not a matter of whether it's legal or illegal

Thanks for answer, but you didn't reply to my questions.

ok, so lets make it step by step. It is ok, when officer, which is paid by government, decide, now I will charge this farang 1000 baht, so I will put in pocket 400 baht, and let him make a visarun? And another officer, which will give me "departed" stamp, decide, ok, I will close my eyes for 300 baht, and you can leave the country? Why it is not 2000 baht, and 10 days minimum...? In Europe, such an officer will go to jail.

You mean, Cambodia is "his" country, and he will decide, what is right amount to compensate, so he will let me make a visarun?

I don't think it is right. I know, this is Asia...but I would like to know, what is legal and illegal.