Train From Singapore

gazza99

I need some advice and hope someone can help. I'm flying to Sigapore from Australia in late January and planning on traveling to Huan Hin by train from Singapore on Tues 24th Jan or Wed 25th Jan. I would love to hear from anyone who has done this and would appreciate any advice. At this stage I know virtually nothing about this so all imput would be welcome. Many thanks :o

You're better off flying to Bangkok and then bussing or taxi down to HH if your goal is to get there, unless you enjoy life on the rails.

The train journey will take about two days I expect and you may need to change a couple of times...certainly in Butterworth, Malaysia. Hat Yai (Thailand) to Hua Hin alone is about 14 hours. Wouldn't be much of an experience either as most of the terrain is flat, particularly the Thai part of it. If you want to try a nice train journey, go from Bankok to Chiang Mai - the last 100kms or so is great...choose a low bunk, air-con.

Thanks for the tips. We are already committed to flying to Sigapore (or did you mean fly from Sigapore to Bangkok). Time is not a factor as we have a month to look around. Thought the train trip might be a bit of fun. One thought was to spend a day or two in Hat Yai on the way up. Is this a good idea? Where would you recommend to stay?

Yeah, I meant from Singers to Bangers. Tiger Airways are doing S$10 flights from Singapore to Bangkok at the moment. Not much to see on the way up unfortunately by train...just a case of doing it for the sake of it? Hat Yai's okish, although a bit of a featureless bore...far better to stay in Songkhla on the coast (30kms northeast). King Hotel Hat Yai, Pavilion Hotel Songkhla. If you're travelling with a lady, visit The Pubb and The Post for entertainment; if with a mate, try the Pink Lady (all in Hat Yai)...Dark Side Songkhla.

Hua Hin's nice but for nice train journeys, do the CM one from Bkk. Still cool in Chiang Mai end Jan, too. Air-con, second class sleeper for the quiet (fan-only windows open, very noisy).

good luck

Another point should be emphasized: if you want to make this journey by rail because you think you are going to see the countryside along the route, think again. There's very little rail service between Kuala Lumpur and northern Malaysia. Exactly one train plies this route now and it's an overnight train that runs between KL and Hat Yai. Additionally, most every train that runs between Hat Yai and Hua Hin is also an overnight train. You'll see a few hours of scenery by rail but most long-distance rail journeys occur in the hours of darkness.

I have done something similar, travelled fro Bangkok to Surat Thani, 12 hours by train, as I had a month in Thailand and thought it would be an experience, however you get to see buggerall countryside, the train itself was ok, but getting on a bit

It was an overnight sleeper 2nd class, I had bottom bunk, and in the top bunk there was a rather large australian lady, I could not get to sleep as I kept thinking that the bunk would collapse and I would be squashed to death, there is only a curtain between you and the everyone else in the carraige, so if there is anyone on that is disruptive, or 'tired and emotional' in the carraige, I think it would be very difficult to sleep, luckily enough it was ok.

Its unlikely that i will undetake another long distance trip by train as I will fly (Even though I had 28 days in Thailand I still ended up thinking, bugger i have wasted a night) only advice i would give, if finance is not an issue is perhaps look at first class, which is probably more secure and its less likely that you will be disrupted by other passengers

I have done something similar, travelled fro Bangkok to Surat Thani, 12 hours by train, as I had a month in Thailand and thought it would be an experience, however you get to see buggerall countryside, the train itself was ok, but getting on a bit

It was an overnight sleeper 2nd class, I had bottom bunk, and in the top bunk there was a rather large australian lady, I could not get to sleep as I kept thinking that the bunk would collapse and I would be squashed to death, there is only a curtain between you and the everyone else in the carraige, so if there is anyone on that is disruptive, or 'tired and emotional' in the carraige, I think it would be very difficult to sleep, luckily enough it was ok.

Its unlikely that i will undetake another long distance trip by train as I will fly (Even though I had 28 days in Thailand I still ended up thinking, bugger i have wasted a night) only advice i would give, if finance is not an issue is perhaps look at first class, which is probably more secure and its less likely that you will be disrupted by other passengers

Travelling by train has its attraction, with the noise and general bustle of a second-class sleeper, yet travelling by first-class is a tad boring and just as well fly for the same money or even less.

Thanks for all the advice. We have now booked a flight on Tiger Airways as suggested (S$91 including taxes) and will probably do the Bangkok to Chiang Mai train trip once we get there. This is a great Forum and your help is much appreciated. Any other tips on where top go and what to do, especialy in Chiang Mai and Hua Hin would be most appreciated. I am travelling with my wife and will be in Thailand for about 4 weeks. :o

I need some advice and hope someone can help. I'm flying to Sigapore from Australia in late January and planning on traveling to Huan Hin by train from Singapore on Tues 24th Jan or Wed 25th Jan. I would love to hear from anyone who has done this and would appreciate any advice. At this stage I know virtually nothing about this so all imput would be welcome. Many thanks  :o

buses and roads are great in Malaysia (even my Australian friend, your country man, has told me that hismelf once). so, I suggest you better take bus to Butterworth and then train from there to Hua Hin.

train from Kuala Lumpur (if you wanna stop over there for a short while) to Butterworth takes at least 9 or may be even 12 hours as I recall, while by bus it is 4, max 5. so, you could save time for , say, spending few hours or may be a day in Penang, or more time in Hua Hin if you prefer to. like, if you take bus at 8 am from KL to Btwth, you can catch train Btwth-Bkk on the same day; but if you decide to travell by train from KL - it won't be possible.

but then train is overnight - so, you can just sleep and wake up already there.

and train Btwth-Bkk is good enough - never had any problems with it.

have a good trip !