Suvarnabhumi Voted 10Th Best Airport Of The World

Lite Beer

Suvarnabhumi voted 10th best airport of the world

BANGKOK, 29 April 2012 (NNT) – Suvarnabhumi Airport has been voted by over 12 million passengers worldwide as the world's 10th best airport in a recent survey conducted by a world's leading airport and airline review website.

Suvarnabhumi Airport Director Somchai Sawasdipol has revealed that a leading airport and airline review website, SKYTRAX, has announced the results of the SKYTRAX World Airport Awards, which are considered the global benchmark of airport excellence and quality ranking. Among other international airports across the globe, Thailand’s Suvarnabhumi Airport was ranked as the world’s 10th best airport for its outstanding service under the category of airports handling 30-50 million passengers annually.

SKYTRAX’s ranking of airport excellence was compiled from the online votes, cast via www.worldairportsurvey.com, by over 12 million passengers using the services of 385 airports worldwide during July 2011 and the beginning of 2012. The ratings are arranged into categories, such as Best regional airports, Best airports by size of airport, among others.

Besides being the 10th best airport of the world, the Novotel Suvarnabhumi Airport has also been awarded the world 5th best Airport Hotel by the same website.

Earlier, Suvarnabhumi Airport had been dubbed by the Airports Council International (ACI) as the world’s 7th best airport of 2011 in the category of 40 million passenger-size.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-04-29 footer_n.gif

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thailand’s Suvarnabhumi Airport was ranked as the world’s 10th best airport for its outstanding service under the category of airports handling 30-50 million passengers annually.

So out of all airports it is still nowhere near the top twenty.

And rightly so.

The title of the thread should be changed as it is very misleading indeed.

• Like 1

The actual top ten.

Suvarnabhumi is actually at number 25, down from 13 in 2011

World's Best Airports in 2012

Incheon International Airport

Singapore Changi Airport

Hong Kong International Airport

Amsterdam Schiphol Airport

Beijing Capital International Airport

Munich Airport

Zurich Airport

Kuala Lumpur International Airport

Vancouver International Airport

Central Japan International Airport\

Those results from the website in the OP.

Edited by FarangTalk

OK, for the Thai bashers, it's 10th in it's class. Feel any better now?

I reckon Suvarnabhumi the second best airport in the world as is means I am so much closer closer to my chosen home. Top award goes to Udon International because it is a 10 minute drive from home and their brilliant airport security allows the incredibly young, stunningly beautiful and very talented Mrs NL to park right outside the door in the pax drop-off zone and leave the car totally unattended while she comes to meet me.

Now, I am off for breakfast.... where's my rose-tinted glasses?

PS. Another huge, HUGE bonus is that I can fly THAI three times a day between these two airports and leave the alternatives of Nok and AirAsia to the hopelessly impoverished, terminally challenged and those that would normally take a bus. Apart from the odd TEFL'er and Vientiane visa-runner, there's a much, MUCH better class of hoipoloi on THAI IMHO.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 2

The first three are always in that position. I've been to all three and I reckon Changi trumps all.

Agreed. All three terminals at Changi are superb. So many incredible facilities; mobile charging stations, free PS3 video games, the cinema, the list goes on and on and on.

Not really, the article is at best deliberately misleading.

And that is from a national news agency. Which then raises questions in itself.

• Like 2

The first three are always in that position. I've been to all three and I reckon Changi trumps all.

Agreed. All three terminals at Changi are superb. So many incredible facilities; mobile charging stations, free PS3 video games, the cinema, the list goes on and on and on.

But why on earth would one want to hang around ANY airport long enough to go watch a movie, play video games or long enough for your phone battery to die? They are glorified bus stations for glorified buses after all.

The Thai national news agency putting positive spin on a story with local 'national' interests? How does that raise questions?

Maybe they ar talking about another year because 2010 Suvarnabhumi was ranked no 10th airport in the world!

Suvarnabhumi ranking

2009 number 16

2010 number 10

2011 number 13

2012 number 25

So this is the worst ranking by far the last 4 years!

• Like 1

[but why on earth would one want to hang around ANY airport long enough to go watch a movie, play video games or long enough for your phone battery to die? They are glorified bus stations for glorified buses after all.

Because sometimes you have to wait hours for a connecting flight?

Have you been to Changi? I actually go there earlier than necessary as it is such a good experience.

I reckon Suvarnabhumi the second best airport in the world as is means I am so much closer closer to my chosen home. Top award goes to Udon International because it is a 10 minute drive from home and their brilliant airport security allows the incredibly young, stunningly beautiful and very talented Mrs NL to park right outside the door in the pax drop-off zone and leave the car totally unattended while she comes to meet me.

PS. Another huge, HUGE bonus is that I can fly THAI three times a day between these two airports and leave the alternatives of Nok and AirAsia to the hopelessly impoverished, terminally challenged and those that would normally take a bus. Apart from the odd TEFL'er and Vientiane visa-runner, there's a much, MUCH better class of hoipoloi on THAI IMHO.

Do Not forget to enjoy the loooooong lines at the Thai counter with the depressing bare cement surroundings. That Skytrax gives everyone some kind of award if they are a member. We all know SWAMPY is one of the worst airports in the world bar none if you look at everything. I hate to say that and wish we had a better airport but facts are facts.

Edited by rotary

Do Not forget to enjoy the loooooong lines at the Thai counter with the depressing bare cement surroundings. That Skytrax gives everyone some kind of award if they are a member. We all know SWAMPY is one of the worst airports in the world bar none if you look at everything. I hate to say that and wish we had a better airport but facts are facts.

Have you ever tried to change terminals at LHR? You have also obviously never been to an airport in a major US city.

But why on earth would one want to hang around ANY airport long enough to go watch a movie, play video games or long enough for your phone battery to die? They are glorified bus stations for glorified buses after all.

The Thai national news agency putting positive spin on a story with local 'national' interests? How does that raise questions?

If you have a long layover, those things are a blessing.

It raises questions because their appear to be proud of the fact that they at 10th on tier 2. Why not just say 13th overall?

Because sometimes you have to wait hours for a connecting flight?

Not if you have made sensible bookings or are NOT traveling on a backpackers budget.

Have you been to Changi? I actually go there earlier than necessary as it is such a good experience.

Changi is graced with my presence two or three times a year with Singapore as the destination and NEVER as a transit stop so I arrive, clear immigration, grab bags and LEAVE. The other way, I arrive one hour before the flight, check-in, clear immigration and LEAVE. Wait, I tell a lie. Two years ago I popped down there to meet up with my ex- crackhead stripper turned supermodel girlfriend former Personal Assistant who was coming in from Houston via Moscow on SQ for a dirty weekend on Samui. I deliberately made for a 4 hour layover so we could 'freshen up' in the transit hotel. Now THAT was great but it had bugger all to do with Changi.

• Like 1

There's no looooooong lines when you are perpetually THAI ROP Gold is there?

Cement walls are only depressing in a penal environment IMHO.

Sometimes I feel that all this vitriol for Suvarnabhumi is only the tip of a much more significant reason for discontent with ones chosen lot in Thailand.

If you have a long layover, those things are a blessing.

It raises questions because their appear to be proud of the fact that they at 10th on tier 2. Why not just say 13th overall?

For the same reason that despite MORE people being killed on this years Songkran highways, they had 5 provinces returning a zero-dead count for the first time ever. So the LATTER was touted a great success which you can't really argue with.

Edited by NanLaew

Attn Thiavisa Forum Topic Title Writer: April Fool's is on the 1st of April, not the 29th. ;)

I travel a ton, and I aim to spend as little time in transit as possible, but when you need to get in and out fast, Suvarnabhumi ain't it. And when you are stuck there for a few hours, the areas for rest and dining are pretty sad, indeed. This is why places like Singapore and Vancouver get in the REAL top 10. They are good at everything. Suvarnabhumi isn't even close.

• Like 1

Attn Thiavisa Forum Topic Title Writer: April Fool's is on the 1st of April, not the 29th. wink.png

I travel a ton, and I aim to spend as little time in transit as possible, but when you need to get in and out fast, Suvarnabhumi ain't it. And when you are stuck there for a few hours, the areas for rest and dining are pretty sad, indeed. This is why places like Singapore and Vancouver get in the REAL top 10. They are good at everything. Suvarnabhumi isn't even close.

Absolutely.

Phnom Penh Poechentong is even a better airport than Suvarnabhumi.

• Like 2

Like this posters comments!

It's a godsend compared to LA. Last year with over 2 hours between my international flight from Bangkok and my domestic connection to St. Louis I still managed to miss my domestic flight. For one thing there was this impossibly long line at U.S. customs. Eventually I managed to talk one of the employees into letting me jump ahead of the line due to the timing of my domestic flight. Was unable to get on standby flight and had to pay full price for an entirely new ticket not to mention having to stay at a hotel for the night. No direct flights to St. Louis by the way, which used to have the busiest train station in the entire world. Had to fly to Atlanta then wait over 2 hours in the airport, and finally I got to fly backwards to St. Louis.

Oftentimes I've had to wait at the L.A. airport for 8 or 9 hours for my domestic flight. First thing to close are the book stores. So no new magazines, paperbacks, etc. Restaurants all close by 1 a.m. or so. Can't even sit in McDonalds drinking coffee while waiting for a 6 a.m. flight. For over five years now LAX looks like a construction zone. Aside from the long line at U.S. customs contributing causes to my missing my flight were the shuttle bus after landing having to drive a very long distance for a ridiculous amount of time getting from the landing strip to the terminal and the great difficulty I had just being able to find the ticket counter for my domestic flight. Believe me, Suvanarnabumi is a total class act compared to LAX. I can easily get help throughout the airport from personnel who seem anxious to please, taxis are both cheap and plentiful, meals are much cheaper and better there than in U.S. airports, and the restaurants, shops and bookstores never seem to close. And for those who do smoke, there's plenty of smoking rooms that are conveniently located.

• Like 2

Why would you want to fly three times a day between two airports. If you schedule with care, you might be able to get all your errands done in one trip.

• Like 2